THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Which bullet for a .223 AR-15?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bullet for a .223 AR-15?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going on my 1st PD shoot in Aug. and I need some help picking ammo. I don't reload, so I need a suggestion for a factory round. The stats on my rifle are (taken from Colts website):
Colt Accurized Rifle features an all new Colt free floating, 24" (61 cm) Stainless Steel HEAVY Barrel with a 1 in 9" (229 mm) rifling twist and 11 degree target crown.

Should I be shooting a certain bullet weight considering the 1 in 9 twist? The rifle has always shot very well with surplus .223, but I'm looking for the most accurate factory round. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 66 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried and true....Good luck!

Black Hills 50 gr V-Max

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Win USA 45gr hp (40 round box) is $10.49/bx
locally, and sometimes WallyWorld has them cheaper.
Not as sleek a bullet as the Vmax, but usually a very accurate round.

Rem UMC equivalent is also available, in both 45 and 50gr, though harder to find in our area.

Doc: your AR has, or will, likely amaze you with it's accuracy, if fed good loads. I used the same rifle in NRA HP competition, and it would easily do 0.5" groups (5@100yds) if I did my part.
Usually used Sierra 53gr or 69gr MK's.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
The Win USA 45gr hp (40 round box) is $10.49/bx
locally, and sometimes WallyWorld has them cheaper.
Not as sleek a bullet as the Vmax, but usually a very accurate round.

My AR does not like them too much. They will work but sometimes do not feed properly. My AR likes Balistic tips.

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, both my AR's are 1 in 9 and both do very well with the HSM Police Ammo. 55grn soft point.I don't have the time nor desire to reload the amount of ammo required for my sage rat hunts. Daily round count is usually 1-2000 per day. I think the last HSM I bought was about 160-170/1000.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback! That gives me the info I'm looking for. I didn't realize that twist rate should be considered when picking a bullet weight until I started spending some time on these forums. I'll try to stay in the 45-55 gr weight. Thanks again for the info.

Posts: 66 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You could go all the way up to at least the 69 grain bullets with that 1:9 twist but unless you're shooting the 600 yard targets it doesn't do you any good. Any 40-55 grain varmint load will do you fine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
My AR shoots the The Win USA 45gr hp (40 round box)good, but i get my best groups with either 55 gr V-max or 52 gr hollow points.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Doc I shoot the Colt AR 24" as well. Got it specifically for Pdoggin and the best all around ammo is Black Hills or similar unless you want to shoot it at beyond 500/600 yards. Then handloads with Yes 75 grain Hornady Amax will work to beyond 1,000 yards. My best with the AR is 1,106 yards. Use enough scope and you will have the shoot of your life. Enjoy.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote