New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Cal Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a question for the folks, has anyone tried the Calhoun 28g 17cal bullets in a 17 Rem? If so how are they on hides? Right now I'm shooting the 25g Bergers, also I've tried calling Shooters Oasis to order bullets and all I get is a anwsering machine whats up with that company? Any how thanks for the info in advance!

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can't help on the Calhoun's but have a couple ?? for you. How are the 25's doing on fur? Just got a .17 Rem and need to pick which bullets to try. Want to try some 26.5 or 27.5 Genco's also. Where over east are you? Maybe just came by your hunt area last weekend. Loren

Posts: 3 | Location: PacNW | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bergers seem to be good for fur bullets, the match ones not the MEF's. And they are also very good shooting along with my CZ for aid of course. I live about 26 miles SW of Ontario OR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat: I am using the 25 gr. Berger MEF's in both of my 17 Remington Varminters. They are very accurate and very lethal on the Varmints of all sizes.

I tried the James Calhoon 25 gr. bullets and according to my loading log they shot nearly as well as the Bergers in both my 17 Remington Varminters. I am not a pelt saver. The 25 gr. Bergers don't wreck much fur as I recall on Coyotes anyway.

I have been VERY happy all around with the Bergers though. In case you are just getting started with the 17 Remington I would advise sticking with the Bergers they are available in many of the Gun Shops I travel past. I seldom see the Calhoons on shelves. Unless there is some specific reason the Bergers are not performing up to your expectations?

Good luck with whichever you decide to stick with!

More later

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

PS: I used to get through Ontario, Oregon twice a year when I lived in Washington but now that I moved to Montana 7 years ago I have not been through there since. Neat country you have down there! Both of my parents were born on homesteaded ranches in the Baker City and LaGrande areas. How are the Coyote populations doing down your way these days?

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy, Thanks for the insight on the bullets, I'm very happy with the Bergers, I'm just always wanting to try something new. I think that I am going to stick with the Bergers because of just what you metioned, avaliability. I can't find hardly anyone that sells the Calhouns.

As far as hides go I've had very good results so far with my Bergers, haven't gotten a good broadside shot at a coyote since I started shooting my 17 but I did get a shot at one running straight away at about 125 yards and it dropped him in his tracks. Also had a good shot at a fox at 100 yards broadside with no hide damage.

The coyote pop has been up and down wildly in the last few years, but they seem to be holding there own this year. Thanks again for the info.

posted Hide Post
Since the other day when I read your post I have realized a buddy and another guy I respect online, and you, all praise the .17-25 Bergers so I ordered 2 boxes for my new CZ. I've shot Bergers in the .223 Savage and they shot fantastic groups too.
Didn't get that far east, Paisely to Hart Mtn. area. Need to hunt over your way more often, mostly nw of you. Need to thin the coyotes out of my deer area too. lol. Do you pretty much hang around your area or travel for coyotes?
Loren.

Posts: 3 | Location: PacNW | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doggitter, Mostly stay around this area, within 100 miles or so, don't find much time to travel for coyotes. You should be happy with your CZ and the bergers, they've been a real good combo for me. Good luck