New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M700 VLS in 204 Ruger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Groundhog Devastation: A Savage heavy long barreled bolt action Varminter showed up this afternoon in my town at a sport/pawn shop. It is marked $495.00 and is more pleasing to look at than many Savage Varminters I have seen over the last decade. I looked it over and wished it was a Remington 700 VLS!

Oh well.

I am getting excited now as Montana is starting to dry out a little from the recent storms and PD's are on my Varminting plate so to speak!

Thanks for any info you can share on availability. I got off on a tangent of chores and trips to town today and did not get to call Remington for dates on the VLS 204's being available!

More later

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
VG, try my neighbors at Trader Brothers in Lolo. I was in there today and they had lots of 204's. So many that it's advertised on their highrise illuminated sign out by the highway. Plastic stocked Savages for $389, if I remember right.

No drought up this way! It's been raining and blowing for two straight weeks, easy. I found a couple drowned gophers in my neighbors fields! At least they looked drowned ...

I started building a large, square boat last week. WTF is a cubit, anyway?

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial: I love your humor! Yes there were some boat builders starting up here last week also!
That does it I am doing the Bitterroot and Missoula.
Beware as I have mad money! Hide all your prized possessions!
And the wind! This has been the windiest winter and spring I have seen here in my 6 years in Montana!
Oh well take the bad with the good I guess!
I was absolutely thrilled to see the sun out today and the temps in the 60's! I saw an Antelope doe walking today in her pre-birthing posture! I hope she bore the fawn today or tomorrow as its supposed to be warmish in between the lightning bolts and 30% chance of rain for the next 3 days!
Its always something! Who knows it may be snowing and sleeting here again next week!
Trader Brothers it is - just after The Bitterroot Trading Company, Bob Wards and the mid valley pawn shops then the Axmen, the Missoula Bob Wards, Sportsmens Surplus then Sportsmens Warehouse! To heck with the price of gas! I am going shopping Montana style - round trip 380 miles or so!
Aaahhh Montana. Supposed to shoot Gophers tomorrow or Friday if the weather holds, and the Hamilton Gun Show is this weekend! This being retired is not easy!
If you are nice I will show you the pictures of the 64 pound King Salmon and the 97 pound Halibut I caught in Kodiak, Alaska 12 days ago! Man what a trip that was!
204's here I come! Ready or not!
Thanks for the tip!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I love my #1 Ruger SS/LAM Charlie. Got the trigger down to varmint levels and it shots about .5"-.7" with factory!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP: My friend Jack also has one of the Ruger #1-V-SS laminated stock Models. He loves it! Last I heard he has run about 180 rounds through it and he is impressed with the accuracy and flat trajectory of the 204!

My friend is also left handed so the Ruger #1 sure works out well for him.

He now has a Leupold 6x18 variable on it. He has shot groups as small as 3/8" with it. He claims all groups are under 5/8" with it so far!

Hmm.....

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, GO GET YOURSELF ONE OF THEM 204's!!!! You deserve it! Like you I was taken by the appearance of the SAVAGE VLP!! I think they copied the Remington VLS!!! And like I said, if the Remington had gotten here first....I'd own it!!! The RUGERS in 204 got here first but I waited!!!
POP, Try the 28.3 grains of H4895 with a match primer in your No.1 and let me know how it does!! The seating depth and corresponding "COL" of the rounds in my 204 are significantly different than the data you sent me!! COL of 2.405 vs 2.245!!!! That's a bunch!!!! Later, GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote