THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Traditional or Compressed Powder for Coyotes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditional or Compressed Powder for Coyotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son wants to use his .243 while I call and stand by with the 12ga. We have hunted coyotes in the past with lesser rifle and this setup works well with us.

To my question, I have always been weary of the .243 for anything closer in since I heard that it damaged pelts too much. Now with the varmint grenade type bullets out, I am wondering if we should give it a go or stick with traditional lead varmint bullets, but just load them with lower velocities and faster powders to keep the pressures up where the case seals well....

Thoughts from those with experience with both bullets in a .243 on Coyotes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies uses a 243 AR-10 for 'yotes. He was using the 55 Nosler BT's, because they grouped well for him, and he thought they would lead to less pelt damage.

We were on a stand adjacent to a watermelon patch one morning, and we had one come around on us, and by the time we saw him he was less than 50 yards out. My friend shot him point blank, straight and square head on, right into the center of his chest.

The results were amazing. It literally cracked him open like an egg. He was split in half, from stem to stern, and all his innards were hanging out. It was pretty impressive, and a little bit funny, because he thought he would get less damage with that setup.

I'm sure if I'd have made the same shot with my 223, and 50 gr Vmax, there may have been a large entrance hole, but it wouldn't have been near as "impressive"...

That 'yote was plumb full to the gizzards with watermelon. It was everywhere. Pretty funny really. Maybe if the 'yote had an empty stomach, it wouldn't have been as gruesome...

...Funny though, up until that point, I hadn't really thought that 'yotes would actually EAT watermelon. We thought the 'yotes would just be there to hunt the critters that ate the watermelon...

If you're really trying to save pelts, a 243 close up, is going to be hard on them. Normally, if one is close, say under 75 yds, then my buddy has me shoot it with my 223. If he whacks one that close, it's usually just a bit more stitching of the exit hole, or if he hit something hard (bone) going in, he'll have to stitch the entrance hole too.

I don't normally save pelts anymore myself, especially 'yote pelts, as no one around here wants to pay anything for them to make it worth the time.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why use a full power .243 load on a called coyote at under 50 yards? Down-load the 55-grain to 3000 fps and expect much less damage. Use some BlueDot and have a low report so you can continue calling if your son misses....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother-in law uses the 70gr bt in his 243winon coyotes and has not had any problems with them blowing up.YET

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TX Nimrod,

Good suggestions and with the 20" barrel there will be less velocity yet. As far as the blue dot goes, any suggestion on powder charge that we might be looking at? Is blue dot pistol or shotgun powder? I like to use 700x in my 10mm Auto so I have no problems of experimenting as long as a small amount of fast powder is non positional. We will also have a mag 12ga at the ready, so shots under 50yrds are covered there.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 243 a bit the last 2 years, using a 75gr Vmax. I've shot maybe a dozen so far with this combo and it has been pelt friendly. Not what I expected at all. Closest was about 25yds and the furthest about 430yds.

Is this the Deke that used to live in Colorado?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K-22,

Yes you found me. We moved to Idaho Falls a little over three years ago wanting a smaller community and went to where the job and the smaller community both were.

The .243 is my 11yr old sons that he won in a raffle at an Idaho Fish and Game event. I am surprised that the heavier Vmax does not blow a big hole out the far side. Have any of the Coyotes been broadside through the lungs or are they harder hits? Reduced velocity or full power loads?

Hope you are doing well.

Deke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho is a great state to live in. I hope you and your family are doing well.

I am very surprised the Vmax hasn't blown large holes (yet). I've had them broadside inside of 50 yards, head-on, going away, etc. and, so far, so good. These are full power loads.

My son was using the 60gr Vmax in his 223wssm @3700fps for 2 years, and it produced massive pelt damage, or no damage at all. If he stayed off the heavy bones, it produced little damage, but hit a large bone, and wow.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My sons barrel is 20" so we will already have a little less velocity. From what you have seen, I would think the heavier bullet with less velocity is the way to go less explosive results and a better wind bucking ability vs lighter bullet and higher velocity.... Do you agree?

Do you know the velocity of your 75gr load?

Thanks,

Deke.