Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Vibration damping
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesMy CZ 527 American in .222 has seldom shot moa. Wed. I tested it attempting to dampen the vibration by mounting a pound and a half roll of solder on the barrel.Before I had to abort the test I did get some results. I shot two 10 shoot groups of idetical loadings; one with the solder and one without.

The group with the solder printed a 3/4" group at 50 yds. The 10 shots without the solder were about an inch and a quarter.

If you see me in the field with a roll of solder on the barrel of my rifle you'll know why. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried one of the Limbsaver deresonators
yet? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.
There is a thread going over at www.benchrest.com in the rimfire section right now. you might get some ideas on what to do with your gun.
Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Burchfield:
Have you tried one of the Limbsaver deresonators
yet?

Not yet that is why I put the heavy roll of solder on. thank you for the site connection. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is something seriously wrong with a .222 that won't shoot better than 3/4" at 50 yds. A deresonator may help but, it sounds like there are other problems with this rifle.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
There is something seriously wrong with a .222 that won't shoot better than 3/4" at 50 yds. A deresonator may help but, it sounds like there are other problems with this rifle.

I hardely agree! The CZ .222 will shoot but is terribly finickey. It's a nice light weight walk around rifle and that's about it.

I realy wasn't trying to get the rifle to shoot better as much as studying the effect of the over weight deresonator. Roll Eyesroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're gonna laugh, but a friend bedded his .270 barrel in RTV silicone, and it made a sub moa shooter out it, his best load prior to the bedding at 1½moa was used, no other changes. A $5 investment in the RTV and it's removable if it doesn't work.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
You're gonna laugh, but a friend bedded his .270 barrel in RTV silicone, and it made a sub moa shooter out it, his best load prior to the bedding at 1½moa was used, no other changes. A $5 investment in the RTV and it's removable if it doesn't work.

I'll tell you ; that makes a lot of sense to me. I,ll let you know of my results. thumb thumbroger

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my dumbness, what is RTV silicone? Or is this just regular Home Depot available silicone?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Room Temperature Vulcanizing.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RTV is a silcone chalk or sealent that come in small tubes or large tubes to fit in your chalking gun. Smell s like vinegar. Good stuff has many uses.
Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
RTV silicone "vulcanizes" or cures at room temperature. Most silicone falls into this category now unless it is marked differently. Buy 100% silicone, not latex mixed.

Some of the newer high temp automotive stuff no longer smells like vinegar as cars with O2 sensors pick up the "smell."
Go to an auto parts store and buy whatever color your heart desires:
black, blue, copper, red, orange, clear...

For your use it is not important about the temp rating.
Higher temp has less "fillers" in it. I buy high temp black usually as it can be used for just about anything.
---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess everybody has a different idea of what "good shooting" means. I have a '72 era Win. M70 short action carbine in 222 Rem. It has a 19" pencil thin barrel and is as nice a light weight walking around riifle as I have ever owned. It definitly shoots better than 3/4" at 50 yds.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bedding idea is VERY interesting!!

I've used RTV with good success on guns for a long time....just put some on the inside of a Rem 742 forearm to keep it from rattling and moving around...works great!

Ref the bedding, was this just the end of the forearm, full length of the forearm or on the action too? I've thought about using it to isolate the forearm on an Encore to see if it helps any. I tried inner tube and it didn't seem to help.

Any more detail on the bedding thing will be appreciated!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Gentlemen. I'll be going to the store to get some of this RTV silicone and try it in one or two rifles. It's amazing the ideas we pick up here just by not being afraid to ask a question. thumb

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I always wondered if barrel vibration was carried through "fiberglass" or similar hard epoxy bedding compounds. I might just take one of my "hard bedded" guns and redo it with silicone to see if it changes.

The only downside is if it gets worse...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes I think before I go with the RTV I'm going to try lightly compressing a thin rubber blanket along the barrel.Just another fun thing to try. Has anyone gone this route? Roll Eyesroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read in some car magazine that regular RTV has an acedic base to it. That is why it smells like vinegar. The information said not to use it on car bodies because it would cause them to rust. I don't know if this is true. Have any of you that have tried RTV on you firearms noticed any corrosion?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
I have read in some car magazine that regular RTV has an acedic base to it. That is why it smells like vinegar. The information said not to use it on car bodies because it would cause them to rust. I don't know if this is true. Have any of you that have tried RTV on you firearms noticed any corrosion?

It is true in most cases. It is anhydrous and cures by pulling water out of the air. Proper application of release agent on the barrell and metal parts followed by a good cleaning and lubing should reduce the risk of rusting but, not gaurenteed. Winkroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
RTV silicone "vulcanizes" or cures at room temperature. Most silicone falls into this category now unless it is marked differently. Buy 100% silicone, not latex mixed.

Some of the newer high temp automotive stuff no longer smells like vinegar as cars with O2 sensors pick up the "smell."
Go to an auto parts store and buy whatever color your heart desires:
black, blue, copper, red, orange, clear...

For your use it is not important about the temp rating.
Higher temp has less "fillers" in it. I buy high temp black usually as it can be used for just about anything.
---Mike

Later formulations of Silicone, usually labeled as "Ultra", use anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol instead

DO NOT USE Silicone that smells of vinegar because it is corrosive and essentially will remain corrosive, essentially forever.

I've often wondered why when bedding was intended to reduce vibrations that the traditional preference was to non-resiliant
bedding materials.

Automotive silicone is available in black which I suspect would be the prefered color, though it's also available in Grey, a semi-translucent blue, clear and an asthetically revolting (for firearms) Red-orange color.

I think Ultra Black would probably be the bedding material of choice for the typically
flexible "Tupperware" stocks on many entry level rifles that will sometimes not take more conventional bedding materials or that because of stock flex will cause the relatively stiffer bedding to crack.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, I started a topic in the Gunsmithing forum to discuss the use of non-rigid bedding compounds.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/873108634

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have used inner tube material cut into 1/2" strips a few times to put pressure on various parts of the bedded stock to see if it had a positive effect. It will definitly change POI in center fire guns with one piece stocks.

A few years ago, I tried to get a .22-250 AI to shoot better and I used the rubber strip up and down the barrel which is bedded with Brownell's gunk and I could see not only changes of impact, but at a point about 3" down the barrel from the end of the forearm, the groups went from 3/4" to damn near bug holes. Even after taking it apart to clean several times, the gun is still shooting well under 1/2". I went to .204's a couple years ago and don't shoot the gun much anymore, but the rubber really made a difference.

I tried the same thing on a .375 H&H Sako in a Bell Carlson bedded with Acraglass 2" in front of the recoil lug and free floated the rest of the way. It still shoots 2 1/2" - 3" groups, but that really isn't something I like to shoot off the bench anyway, so maybe it is not a good example.

Bottom line, I think the inner tube changes the vibration characteristics of the barrel enough to make it shoot better in the .22-250. Might work for other guns as well. My experience base is too small to say for sure.

Good luck!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget,

Thanks for the link to Graybeard!!

That's kinda what I was thinking about doing with my Encore fore end. That's good info!!

Thanks again!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
Roger,

A few years ago, I tried to get a .22-250 AI to shoot better and I used the rubber strip up and down the barrel the groups went from 3/4" to damn near bug holes. Even after taking it apart to clean several times, the gun is still shooting well under 1/2". I went to .204's a couple years ago and don't shoot the gun much anymore, but the rubber really made a difference.

Thank you.Yesterday the CZ .222 received 1/8" dense foam rubber in the barrel channel (compressed). Today The mod 200, 22-250 will get the same treatment even though it seems to shoot pretty good. These are both very light barrels so it should do something.Will know next wed. thumbroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Frowner The model 200 Stevens is going to be a little chore as the forend is honey combed and does not lend itself to a simple piece of rubber. I may fill the cavities with styrofoam ,press the barrel on it to make an impression and than try a piece of rubber. Now , isn't life challanging? Roll Eyesroger

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Later formulations of Silicone, usually labeled as "Ultra", use anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol instead.AllanD

Allen is right on the money. It should also say "sensor safe" if it is automotive silicone (I can't remember the SAE spec).
Ultra also refers to the temperature rating, which is a factor of the butyl filler to silicone rate.
More silicone is better. Ultra should be better at resisting gun solvents.

Like Allen, I also use ultra black. I always buy Permatex or other name brand.
Don't buy generic. It can cause way too much hassle to save a couple bucks.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
I may fill the cavities with styrofoam ,press the barrel on it to make an impression and than try a piece of rubber. Now , isn't life challanging? Roll Eyesroger

Howa bout sprayfoam as a filler? When it dries it can be worked with a rasp or sandpaper and it is pretty resilient.

Just a thought...

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to that foam we spray behind wall sockets and light switches to cut down on drafts? That may be a fantastic idea to fill those tupperware honeycombed stock forends!
Will try it in my Choate Ultra Sniper stock forend. Was thinking of using the styrofoam packing peanuts as an underlayer, but this idea has all sorts of merit.
Thanks

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Are you referring to that foam we spray behind wall sockets and light switches to cut down on drafts? That may be a fantastic idea to fill those tupperware honeycombed stock forends!
Will try it in my Choate Ultra Sniper stock forend. Was thinking of using the styrofoam packing peanuts as an underlayer, but this idea has all sorts of merit.

Now isn't communication just a great thing. claproger
Thanks

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, Roger. cheers And thanks for your posts. I've had ideas conjured up by some of your past items. Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Are you referring to that foam we spray behind wall sockets and light switches to cut down on drafts?
Thanks

Yes I was. I have used it for several experimental projects over the last few years and it is perfect in the right place.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
Roger,

I have used inner tube material cut into 1/2" strips a few times to put pressure on various parts of the bedded stock to see if it had a positive effect. It will definitly change POI in center fire guns with one piece stocks.

...Bottom line, I think the inner tube changes the vibration characteristics of the barrel enough to make it shoot better in the .22-250. Might work for other guns as well. My experience base is too small to say for sure.

Good luck!!

There is a commercial supply house in my area called Griffith Rubber. Along with industrial belting, etc., they sell urethane rubber sheeting in different durometer (hardnesses) and thicknesses. Urethane is virtually impervious to chemicals, especially when compared to rubber innertubes.

I used some a few years ago trying out an idea a friend of mine had. The urethane worked very well (the idea sucked) and they even gave me a good sized remnant piece to fool around with, ahem, experiment with for no charge. Maybe there is a similar supply house in your area.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flippy...that might work well!!

I was tying a few flies last night and there is a urethane sheet I use for legs and whiskers that is really thin compared to inner tube and I was thinking it would work in multiple layers to get differant pressure on the barrel. I also have a polyurethane tape that is about like electrical tape that might work in layers. All I need is some time and we'll see what happens.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Frowner The model 200 Stevens is going to be a little chore as the forend is honey combed and does not lend itself to a simple piece of rubber. I may fill the cavities with styrofoam ,press the barrel on it to make an impression and than try a piece of rubber. Now , isn't life challanging? Roll Eyesroger

The CZ 527 in .222 did shoot a tad better with the Damping strip, as did the Mod 200 in 22-250. There was a problem, however. As the barrels got hotter and hotter the point of impacts gradually changed.Was the heat softing the rubber? Quite possibly. The idea shows promise so I will try to buy some high Temp silicone sheet material and pass on the good word. I hope. monaroger