Find
Notify
Tools

Wisconsin Coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted
I just bought a farm in southwest Dane county. I'm told I have coyotes. I'd love to hunt them but don't know much about predator hunting. Anyone hunted coyotes in this area that could give me some tips?

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
In respect to this wonderful site, there is also a wealth of predator hunting information & ongoing forum discussions @ www.texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com

Check it out & Join this family-oriented website.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
predator masters.com has a wealth of infor from guys hunting yotes. around here anyway they have really changed in the last 4-5 years,becoming much more quiet and sticking to heavy cover. calling seems to be useless and the best success seems to be of large groups of drivers and posters, posting as much as 3-4 miles ahead of the drivers

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I was really hoping someone would just tell me to put a Foxpro call out in the early morning and wait for my shot. That may be what I do anyway and hope for the best. After all, hunting is about being in the field, not the animals taken. (That's what I tell myself when the bag is empty!) Coyote hunting doesn't seem popular in southern Wisconsin. It surprises me since their population is growing to problematic numbers in Northern Illinois.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before you put the fox pro out, do this-

Know where you are going to set up
have some open area if possible to see the coyote coming
get in the area quietly and unseen
sit very still
call in no wind or very light wind and don't let them get down wind of you, or it is over

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am over by Oshkosh and have been here appox 20 plus years. In the winter we always have yotes come up through the back yard after cats.They seem to come from the fondy area.Last winter some guys chased them from south of us using dogs and put guys out by road sections then nail them with shotguns.When the yotes move through during winter the fox that are around seem to hide.When i am spreading horse waste the yotes follow me back to the house digging in the waste,then the wife yells at me for bringing them to close to the yard.They like the cats if they can nail them by surpise.Also that wolf that was in Oshkosh park a while ago also came through our area.I am now waiting for bear, natures on the move.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Citori:
IF you're gonna save the pelts, use something light for cal. Like: 40gr V/max in .223, or most anything similar or bigger. No exits with body hits.

These e'calls are great because you can set the speakers up to 100yds or more from your stand. Dogs will head to them. Learn to bark & when you're ready, & they're right where you want 'em, bark & they'll stop for about 5 seconds for a good shot. Just don't hesitate or they'll be gone.

I've always used mouth calls & had 'em coming in. Stop 'em 75-125yds or so where I want 'em & am ready. Works the year around if you just want to cull 'em & keep the populations in control. Won't be a week until another fills the hole's you make though.

Good luck & have fun,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I hunt is to keep the wind in you face and stay in the shadows
keep quiet going in and stay on stand long enough for them to come in to ya
how big a farm did you buy
if its big enough you can call different areas but if its small try not to over call
there are a bunch of coyotes in the Dane co area but again they are picking up everywhere especially just north of you in Columbia co
good luck

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by citori:
Coyote hunting doesn't seem popular in southern Wisconsin. It surprises me since their population is growing to problematic numbers in Northern Illinois.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the urban
Wisconsin "animal rights" nutzoids put pressure
on the legislature & governor to outlaw culling of
feral cats a few years ago?......even though feral
cats were decimating wild bird populations??
The same idiots probably don't want ANY coyote
hunting. Many landowners probably think the
coyotes are doing them a favor by killing and
eating the damned feral cats!!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tree huggers here a plenty
thats for sure
I shoot every feral I see

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Follow this link, read the article, and come back with any more questions:

"How to Call Coyotes" Link-Click Here

It covers the basics, which don't change. Be sure to wear a face mask and gloves.......and learn to sit still.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you need at least a .270 to kill a coyote!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
White Eagle

80 acres just south of Mt. Horeb.