THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    SEMI CUSTOM VARMINT RIFLE FOR SALE Not a WAL MART special

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SEMI CUSTOM VARMINT RIFLE FOR SALE Not a WAL MART special
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
This is not a cheap rifle, not a WAl Mart special, but a rifle that has hands laid on it by one of the top riflemakers in the country, David Miller. It functions flawlessly, and it shoots. Review this and you tell me what you think this is worth.

REMINGTON Model 700 BDL
Bolt action rifle; Varmint special
22-250 24" heavy barrel Twist 1/14 favors heavier bullets

Acquired from Tucson's David Miller in 1992.
David did the following, and if you are familiar with his work you know he is top of the line.

Custom work by David Miller:
Fluted barrel; crowned
Bedded; Entire action and follower honed and polished;
bolt jeweled and vented.
Single shot follower installed
Installed Leopold 6.5 x 20 Target scope, with mounts & rings.
Timney trigger

100 + prairie dogs have been sent on their way with this rifle.

Groups: 52 gr. Berger H.P. MOLY COATED
38 gr. H 380
Federal 210 primer
WW case 2.480 OAL
9/14/96 13/16" @ 200 yds

52 gr. Berger H.P.
40 gr. IMR 4350
Federal 210 primer
WW case - 2.480 OAL
Muzzle Velocity: 3746
6/5/93 100 yds 9/16
200 yds 1/2
9/17/94 100 yds 3/16"
9/30/95 200 yds 1 5/16"
2/10/96 200 yds 1" (O @ 200)
12/7/01 100 yds. 3/4"

Price is negotiable......please send a pm if interested.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does a 14 twist "favor heavier bullets"?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
How does a 14 twist "favor heavier bullets"?

Kinda the same way that some of we guys prefer ladies that are more on the well endowed side, I guess... banana

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 1:14 twist should not over stablize his 52 gr. bullets..........52 gr. being "heavier" than a 40 or 45gr. My Lilja .223 is 1:14 & is stamped 'for up to 52gr. bullets" & that's all that was intended IMHO. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ability of a given barrel to stabilize a bullet is more depenndent on bullet shape than on bullet weight. A 14 twist will easily stabilize a 55gr flat base bullet and it will work just fine with most 55gr BT bullets, some will have problems with the plastic tipped BT bullets others will not. A 223 with a 14 twist will struggle more than a 22-250 because of the velocity difference. I can shoot 60gr hpbt bullets in a 14tw 22/243 with excellent accuracy, but my 14tw 223 doesn't shoot them worth a crap. However the same 14tw 223 shoots the 70gr Speer just fine, because the bullet shape is designed to work in a 14tw barrel.
Barrel makes and bullet makers like to stay on the "safe" side for the purpose of customer satisfaction.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
promise not to be offended? You have to promise first...okay

Very little over a stock 700 with the same scope, perhaps $200. That is just my opinion. Fluting a barrel, unless done properly, does not help accuracy, merely with cooling.
Smoothing up the action is marginal unless it was faced off and trued, and the lugs lapped. You would then have to have had the barrel rechambered.
The 1:14" twist limits the bullet selection.
My last two had 1:9" twist rates to allow me to use even the 80gr JLK bullets. Also the copies by Nosler and Sierra. Unless he epoxied or welded the single shot follower in place, it takes me between 20 and 30 seconds to install one.
The Timney trigger, unless re-worked properly is a 2-3lb trigger, a nice one. For my usage here in Idaho, I put Jewell's on Remingtons. They adjust down to the 1.5oz level and are incredible.

A year before yours, I had nationally known benchrest gunsmith Steve Kostanich of Chehalis, WA, build me a Hunter Class Benchrest rifle. He trued the action, lapped the lugs, did a 3-lever conversion on the stock trigger that let him adjust it at 1 3/8oz. He put it in a Six Enterprises fiberglass HBR stock (a perfect varmint hunting stock), and marine-tex bedded it. It was a tight-neck (.332") 308W. With a 36X Leupold BR scope it shot 5-shot groups well under 3/10ths of an inch at one hundred yards, and under an inch at 300 yards.
150gr Sierra MK's and about 42gr of H4895. With the 6X scope on it in competition, I finished in 7th Place nationwide in the TCL, and made a Top Five at every benchrest match I competed in for three years in six western states. At 3,000 rounds it would still group under 1/2" at 100 yards. It was a switch-barrel with a 28" long 1:8" twist 22-284. That barrel shot in the low .2's.

That is what a well built rifle will do. It does not seem as if the work done to yours made it any more accurate than a stock one. I have a stock, out of the box pair of Savages sitting in my shop, 223 and 308. Either, with a 6-24X Bushnell Elite 4200 will shoot under 1/2" for five, five-shot groups at 100 yards consistently.

You promised not to get mad, remember? In my opinion, which is just and only that, with the scope it is worth $900.

You promised......

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote