Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

good .22 magnum?
 Login/Join

posted
hey all, i am looking to get a new .22 magnum. i am looking at the Marlin 882ssv, Savage 93vss, and the H&R ultra varmit rifle. i am looking for a heavy barrel, and obviously accurate rifle. i have heard of great restults of accuracy with the Marlin 882ssv of 1 inch and smaller groups at 100 yards. but have never heard anything about he Savage and the H&R. any ideas?

"Keep your stick on the ice"

Posts: 21 | Location: O'Fallon Illinois | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wax:

I have a Marlin MN that I restocked with a laminate stock. It will shoot groups that I can cover with a dime at 50 yds and a quarter at 100 yds. I use it consistently to 200 yds. This is done with CCI ammo.

I had two of the SSV ones, and neither shot worth a dam. Both grouped like Shotguns. One I sent back to Marlin without the stock on it and asked that it be rebarreled to 17HRM. I wanted to give it to a handicapped person I knew who wanted one real bad, who did not have the money for one. I also sent them a couple of targets to them to show how bad it shot. Not only did they replace the barrel with a 17HRM in stainless, but also put a new laminate stock on it, did a trigger job and sent me a copy of their test target. There was no bill with the return. When I called and spoke to the tech who worked on it, they said that they hopped my handicapped friend enjoyed it. You can't go wrong with a company like that.

I also bought a New England Arms single shot with a synthetic stock, for a " thrown it in the truck" gun. I put a 6x Cabelas ($59.00) scope on it. This thing is a tackdriver with no matter what ammo is put down the barrel. the most accurate and unfinicky 22 mag I have ever had.

As a final thought, I did buy a Ruger Heavy Barrel in 17 HRM. It is also a tack driver when you can find ammo, and it is not costing a fortune. With a gray laminate stock it looks great. Recently I found it is as easy to switch barrels on a 77/22 as it is a 10/22. Also searching several websites of outfits that make a business out of making 17 HRM aftermarket barrels, I found that a lot of them will sell a new factory take off barrel for $50.00. I ordered one, so now I am going to have a heavy switch barrel 22Mag/17HRM. Pretty Cool! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Marlin .22 Magnum and it was the worst rifle I have owned It was the 882SSV Heavy Barrelled etc.

My hunting mate owns and shoots a Ruger .22 Mag and that is a shocking shooter as well.

My gun dealer said that everyone who has purchased either Anschutz or CZ/Brno .22 Magnums are all very happy customers and this is the way I would lean.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz 22 mag. sporter. I purchased the gun from a freind so I knew how it shot. It is the most accurate 22 mag that I personally have seen. It will do 1 in. groups at 100 with almost any ammo, it seems to shoot cci and winchester very well. I have the trigger kit that cost 10.00 it has about 1/2 lbs. trigger pull with no creep. This is the only 22 mag I own so I have nothing to compare it to except for other peoples guns.

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a NEF Sportster in .22 Mag. It'll stay under an inch at 100 yards with Remington Premier and both black and silver box Remington for five shot groups. Did take a couple of hundred rounds to shoot in.

Trigger is heavy out of the box and mine is very sensitive to fore end pressure. All in all, it's a hell of a rifle for $120.

But if money is not important, look at the CZ. I'm shooting a CZ 452 Varmint in .22 lr and love it. Shoots like a target gun and feels like centerfire Mauser sporter. It's not cataloged in .22 WMR, but the lighter barreled 452 American is.

Depends on what you are gonna do with it. I'd buy an NEF for a truck gun in a heartbeat. Wouldn't wanna bang up the CZ.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a Ruger Model 77 22 mag. I have had one since 1990 and it is very accurate out to around 150 yards or so.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just had a prairie dog shoot yesterday where my partner and I primarily used the .22WMR. He has a std barrel Marlin and I use both a T/C Contender Carbine (bull bbl) and a Ruger 10/22Mag. The best shooter is the T/C. My partner's Marlin shoots OK, but needed a trigger job and glass bedding before it would perform. My Ruger? Twice it has had ruptured caseheads with Federal ammo. My face bled a little from that one.

Ammo will make quite a difference in any rifle. We've had our best accuracy with the Federal which now has 30gr Speer HPs (did have Sierra 30gr HPs until recently). Next was Winchester Supremes, then Remington Premiers. Some people have had good luck with CCI TNT ammo. The cheaper standard ammo has never grouped well for us. Try a box of each, shoot at least three groups with each, then buy CARTONS of that brand and lot number. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
where did you get the trigger kit at?

quote:
Originally posted by rooksd1:
I have a cz 22 mag. sporter. I purchased the gun from a freind so I knew how it shot. It is the most accurate 22 mag that I personally have seen. It will do 1 in. groups at 100 with almost any ammo, it seems to shoot cci and winchester very well. I have the trigger kit that cost 10.00 it has about 1/2 lbs. trigger pull with no creep. This is the only 22 mag I own so I have nothing to compare it to except for other peoples guns.

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MARLIN 882L

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,could you pass along the companies that have the takeoff barrels for 22mag and 17s? Thanks,Bo

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooter 65 I got the kit from a guy named Eric Brooks, he sells a few odds and ends for rimfire czs. The kit contains I think 4 or 5 springs for different lbs of pull I think it's like 1/2 lbs to 2 lbs. and it comes with a sleeve that will take out the creep. ebrooks77.50megs.com/

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
A month ago, at Champion Shooters Supply in Ohio, there was a new Meister grade .22 mag with a factory group that was a bughole. Had a good piece of wood on it too. Their number is 1-800-821-4867.

redleg

<Made in Sweden>
posted
My brother owns a Marlin cheaper-than-dirt 22 mag. and I own a similar Marlin in 22 long rifle, and both will shoot sub-MOA with several brands and types of ammo. Best gun I�ve had sofar!! And thats from a guy thats shot just about everything.... you�ll have to pry this rifle from my cold dead hands.....