Find
Notify
Tools

Lefty Varmint Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Have made up something that may interest lefthanded varminters. I own two of the Rem 700 VS rifles, but wanted something different. How about a left bolt, right port varminter? This eases putting in the cartridge when shooting from benches, etc., when out after sod poodles. Took a Savage Striker (which can be purchased much cheaper than most actions) that has the left bolt, right port. I stripped it of everything, then put a barrel and trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply on it. The stock is one of the Target/Sniper models from Choate. Its only made for the righthand Savage short action, that's OK. I bedded it into the stock (bolt holes will have to be redrilled), filled in the space for the righthand bolt, then rasped the inlet for the lefthand bolt. Voila! A poor man's LBRP for fast and furious prairie dogs. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello prof 242,

Sounds like a lot of work to me, but I can see why you wanted it. I do most of my shooting nowadays from the bench so I don't mind the right handed actions. At least I can see what I'm doing. I just received my Remington VLS in 6mmRem. It's got the heavy barrel and laminated stock. It has a cheekpiece but it's no problem because it's low. I griped for years about the dearth of left handed actions, then realized Remington's cheekpieces don't affect anything, and stocks aren't canted anymore. I almost forget what I was unhappy about. But its nice to see you cared enough to get what you desired. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Remington 788 lefty's are of the same configuration.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm happy with it. Formed two hundred Lapua 6mmBR cases into 22 BR and trimmed them. Am now in the process of fire forming them...on PDs about an hour away from the house! Oh, well, someone's gotta do it.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
got any pix? It sounds too interesting to not try out.

<paal>
posted
We want photo's..........
I'am a lefty to.. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...photos! And make them good and in focus and lots of them!! You have your orders, prof. Actually, I wanted to do something like this; a rifle with left bolt and right port because I shoot lefty but load righty. Of course, nobody makes one so I ended up going to MRC and ordering an action which should arrive just shortly before Hell freezes over.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Thanks guys for the enthusiasm. I really mean that. I'm having my buddy Brett come over with his digital camera to take pictures so that you can see this hummer. I'm even contemplating other barrels, since the Savage is easy to make into a switch-barreled bullet slinger. [Wink]