New
Find
Notify
Tools

best groundhog time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best time of day to catch a whistlepig out of its hole?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mid morning and late afternoon.

They don't like water and will avoid coming out when there is a heavy dew or after a shower.

Mid morning you can catch them feeding and soaking up rays.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
crowrifle, One of the all time best groundhog hunting times is RIGHT after a thunderstorm when the sun pops back out!!! Every groundhog in the country will be out after the rain! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here it depends on how hot the day is. On a warm day they will lay on a rock to soak up the sun. Mid morning and late afternoon they are eating bean sprouts.
The best time of year for me:
Very early spring when they are digging their way out of their holes and in the fall after the beans have been harvested and they are filling their tummy for the winter.
Those two times they seem to stop thinking and will not care when the diesel 4X4 pulls off the road thd the door slams shut.
after someone shoots at them they run for their holes when your foot comes off the throttle pedal.
I cut my cat and muffler off during the winter for an extra mile per gallon or two not thinking about varmint hunting!

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to wait until June when the pups are done weaning from the sows. Otherwise, you really mess up things for the den. Concentrate on late afternoon after a thunderstorm. They do seem to be bold in that situation.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote