New
Find
Notify
Tools

22PPC or 17PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's just a thought, one day I would like a small caliber varmint rifle (I currently own a 6PPC) that would be fur friendly but still handly prey up to the size of a wolf, should I ever get the chance at one...

Now I have used some 55gn ballistic tips(28.8gn VVN133) in the 6PPC on deer and pigs. Shooting all the pigs in the head and roe deer in the shoulders.

All these bullets exited, sometimes leaving a rather messy hole, some of the pigs had large ares of their skulls cracked into pieces..

I would hate to think what might happen to a coyote with this load.

So I go to thinking about a 22PPC shootig 40 & 35gn pills.

That might do the trick and I can still shoot a 60gn or even 70gn pill should the need or desire arise.

Is it hard to get 35gn bullets to stabilize in most .22 centerfires?

The 17PPC (you might be noticing a trend here...) should definatly fullfill the requirments of fur friendly varminter, but will it work on somthing the size of a wolf?
Is there a lot you can't do with the .17 that the .22 will allow you to?

Is there going to be much difference between a 6mm 55gn ballistic tip and a 22cal 40gn b-tip?

I like the PPC case, and have hundreds of them so I figure I can take advantage of this fact to use in another rifle chambered in the same case.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .17PPC might be an interesting toy for 'yotes. There's some boys over at www.coyotegods.com that might have thoughts on the subject, also in regards to its use on wolves. They're big fans of the .17 Rem and I'd guess you're talking about the same velocities.

It seems a lot of folks talk about fur friendly bullets and I suppose I really don't know much about that. I don't sell pelts and couldn't care less what happens to a 'yote after it's nose down in the dirt. The bigger the hole the better IMO. I will say that my use of a 30-30 on bobcats and like sized critters has never left an exit hole much more than caliber size. I shoot the neck or lungs generally. So what's the problem with .308" holes in both sides? If your 6PPC had a faster twist you could shoot bigger bullets slower, maybe accomplish the same thing. [Confused]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Ex, I too am interested In having a 17PPC built. A friend recently sent me some back articles from Small Caliber News. with a 26.5" 10 twist the 17 PPC will do around 4100 fps with 30 grain .270 bc pills and 4400fps with 25 grainers. A 9 twist would better suit the 30 grainers and up though. I have also read an article about a fella taking wolves with the 17VLR .223 w/ 30 degree shoulder...Designed by Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den. I think he has replaced the VLR with the 17 tactical. He would be a good one to talk to about your 17 project.
Good Luck.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 17 caliber is the hot caliber of the day; and it is fast; but it does have it's down sides. Remember the 17 Remington was almost dead until the recent craze started. 17's typically require careful and more frequent cleaning to remain optimal and wind is a bigger factor. Also the choice of bullets compared to a 223 caliber is much less. A 22ppc or 22BR Remington in an equal quality rifle should warrant careful consideration.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used a .22PPC, but have used a host of 224 Centrefires ranging from .222 Remington up to the 22/284 and .224 Clark.

Since 1972, I also have been using a .17/222 magnum improved with 40 degree shoulder. This has a capacity of about 31.5 grains, which I understand is about 1 grain less than the .17 PPC.

I have used the 25 grain Hornady HP for about 30 years, out of 3 different barrels at velocities between 4150 - 4500 fps on mainly foxes, rabbits, the occasional dingo, and roo. Surprisingly it has a 100% kill record on feral pigs, when this gun was the only one on hand at the time. However, I would not recommend it for that.

Recently I have tried 30 grain bullets by Berger, Hammett, and Kindler, and I have achieved 4100 - 4175 fps. (Bergers start coming apart at 3800+)

Although my 1 in 10 pitch will stabilise them, I believe a 1 in 9 pitch is better suited and likely to give better accuracy to the 30 grain bullet. I have noted that the .17 PPC users achieve similar or slightly better velocities than mine.

To achieve the ballistics of a 30 grain Kindler Gold VLD with a bc of .270, at 4100+ fps, out of a .17 PPC or similar sized case, you have to go to a 220 Swift AI which will achieve 4100 fps with a 55 grain bullet (Nosler, Sierra, et).

However, the big difference is that the .220 Swift AI, has a capacity of about 55.5 grains, and the .17 PPC a capacity of 32 grains.

My experience is that if you use a premium grade stainless steel barrel, and clean about every 20 shots, you will keep on top of barrel fouling in any calibre that is firing bullets at 3800+fps.
Good shooting from an Aussie in OZ.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oaklands Park. South .A.ustralia | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever think of a .20 based on that case?? There are some good bullets now available with higher B.C.'s than the .17's. Man would that be fun or what??

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote