Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ideal predator calibres
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
boilerroom,
I didn't see any mention of your budget, that's why I suggested a custom shop. Honestly, a good rebarrel and action blueprinting/truing can be had for under $500.00. All you would need is the receiver. Buy a used Rem 700 ADL and go to it. My 25-06 started as a beater and I have a total of $900 in it and it is the rifle I've always wanted.

Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm strting to look at lots of options now. Not that I'm in a hurry. I've even considered getting a synthetic stock for my 25 06 A-Bolt. I'm surgical with it and its is pretty light out of the box. I'd look at painting the the whole rifle white.

I'm not that impressed with the quality of that rifle even though its a real shooter. I could list alot of my complaints about it. Thats why I've decided(95%) to sell it and start from scratch.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
My thought on using 30 cal for pedators , as long as your not saving pelts no problem , but with the 22's you have a lot better chance of getting back on target in the event you call in multiples . Sure is nice to watch your target fall right through the scope , hard to do this with the 06 .Good Luck with your choice .
P.S. 22-250 for coyotes , get it dialed in then shoot whatever critter you need to .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The most common varmint chamberings are in 22 calibre. Flat shooting and accurate with next to no recoil. Devastating on rodents and yotes but what about larger varmints like wolves and cougers? The largest wolf or mountain lion can reach wieghts as high as 200 lbs, the body mass of a medium to large deer. Alot of people would not dream of picking a 223 Rem or a 22-250 as a deer gun even if the large ones are seldom taken by the hunter.

In most parts of B.C, if you're calling late season for predators, you can never be quite sure what is going to answer your call. You're camo'd up, sounding like an animal being munched on, and a large wolf or cat is coming in looking to steal a meal. You get the picture I'm painting? I don't know if I'm quite comfortable with shooting a soft frangible 55gr. bullet at 3700fps for more than one reason. A shoulder hit on something that wieghs 150 lbs could mean a wounded critter who might decide to defend itself if you have to track it to finish the job. Sounds exciting, but needless.

There is also the handi cap at longer ranges with these smaller calibres. I do not have data handy right now but I'm willing to bet that at 300 yrds, the 243 Win would still make one hell of a mess on a larger predator but where do the 17,20,22 leave you? I know you can go with a heavier better constructed bullet, but the handi cap is still there.

I'm in the market for a walk around varminter. The best choice as far as I can see is what Remington has come out with. The Model 700, Light Varmint. 22-250 is the hardest hitter they offer it in. I wish they would come out with it in 243 Win or 6mm Rem. I know there will be a little more recoil. This is a hunting rifle though. If I didnt live in country that seems to get more and more infested with wolves and mountain lions, I'd care little and just buy a yote gun. No yote could stand up to the 22's at any responsible range.

Anyone think my logic is overbore?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your question, and your method of 'splaining it. Very well written.

I think you are in the need of a 6mm or .257 caliber. This opens up quite a few bullet and chambering choices. Starting with the 257 Roberts all the way up to a 6-284. The .17 and .20 are inadequate.

How about a 25-06 with 85gr hollowpoints. Granted this is not a 200 yard wolf-killer but it would be hell on varmints. Mosey on up to the 100 grainers and you are now in the vicinity of a 200 yard deer/wolf/cougar round.

I know Remington has a very nice "stalker" in 7-08 that would be fun, light and do what you want it to do.

JMHO,
Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boilerroom What about a Cooper in 6x284 There standard is light in fact so is there varmint.Guns America.com has a bunch ready right now.The come from the factory with a target shot by that rifle,3 shot one hole groups.This is a fully custom rifle for under $1,400.

Posts: 28 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area California United states | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I would like to avois ordering accross the border and have yet to see someone in Canada who offers kimber and Cooper.

I like Jimno2506 logic. Money may well be the deciding factor though.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm in the market for a walk around varminter. The best choice as far as I can see is what Remington has come out with. The Model 700, Light Varmint. 22-250 is the hardest hitter they offer it in. I wish they would come out with it in 243 Win or 6mm Rem. I know there will be a little more recoil. This is a hunting rifle though. If I didnt live in country that seems to get more and more infested with wolves and mountain lions, I'd care little and just buy a yote gun. No yote could stand up to the 22's at any responsible range.

Remington makes the LVSF in 7mm-08 and 308 too... The 308 is tough to find but the 7mm-08 is readily available as evidenced by this auction that ends in 10 hours.
7mm-08 LVSF

Here's the Remmy website listing all the available calibers.
LVSF

Personally... Since you live in BC, if I were you I'd carry a rifle that I've recently fallen in love with. It's the Remington Model 7SS chambered in 300SAUM. This rifle would have enough power to give you a fighting chance if you called in a grizzly that was intent on making you a meal and yet you could use 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips for varmints. It's a 7.25# rifle with a 22" barrel and is very handy with good balance.
Mod 7 Magnum

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote