Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet for Coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
What is the maximum effective range of the 22 Hornet when used against coyotes, and what bullet weight and type is most suitable for this usage? I realize there will be a range of opinion on this subject, but I am very interested in the thoughts and experiences of those more experienced than I.

Regards,
Ed

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I think the .22 Hornet is one of the few cartridges that is a real over achiever, I would not use it on coyotes. Too many other choices that are much better suited.
The hornet is best for varmints such as crows and groundhogs out to about 200 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started hunting Coyotes with a Hornet in 1965 and must have put down 5 to 6 Hundred of them. With a 45 gr bullet at about 2700 fps, the Hornet does pretty good on them out to 200 yds, if you can put the bullet in the boiler. Godsdog.

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
Too many other choices that are much better suited.

I agree. I should explain further. My intent is to use this rifle and cartridge in defensive applications only, namely when coyotes approach my house and yard. The "no go" line is the fence surrounding my acreage. The furthest distance that the fence is from my house is 175 yards. The countryside is open and I want to minimize the overtravel zone. Additionally, I have neighbours and I don't want to be too loud. Thus the 22 Hornet. If I was hunting coyotes offensively, I would certainly use a different calibre.

Given that I have selected the 22 Hornet for this admittedly rather narrow application, I want to use it most effectively, and thus my question.

Regards,
Ed

www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For the application you have specified, the Hornet will do just fine. I have taken a number of coyotes with Hornets over the years and have even used a 10" Contender barrel to drop a couple of them. Given good shot placement and reasonable range (175/200 yards max with a rifle or 125 yds. with a pistol), the ancient .22 Hornet will work like a charm.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the 221 fire ball.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote "use the Hornet"!

It has a lot more going for it than most people will give it credit for!

Put a bullet through the ribs and the coyote won't last long! Most times they'll drop right there!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will work well for your intended use. I like a Barnes 45gr XLC under 13grs Lilgun and a small pistol primer. I get about 2,900fps with this load.

As has been said, at the range you are talking about, 175yds, a broadside hit will kill quickly. I have not had good luck with head-on shots at much over 100yds though.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
I have used the hornet on coyotes out 200 yards with the Speer tnt and have done very well with all being one shot kills.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For called in coyotes the .22 Hornet is my number one calling rifle. Effective out to 150 plus yards and a more pelt friendly cartridge I haven't found. A 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or 50 gr. Hornady V-Max does wonders on called in coyotes. The larger .22 centerfires just waste pelts. Use the Hornet. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
Several years back Winchester offered the .22 RF Mag 40gr JHP bullets as a component.
I used these in the Hornet to great effect on called coyotes out to 200 yards or so. They were very accurate at 3000fps. I never lost one or had a bullet exit as we saved the pelts.

Too bad you only see this bullet in the loaded .22 Mags now......

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using the 22 hornet for about 9 years now. I have settled with the 30gr for coyotes down to ground squirrels. At 3400fps it deadly out to about 150 yards on coyotes and blows squirrels all over. Hey there are a lot of coyote hunters that swear by the 30gr in their 17 Mack IV so why not in the hornet.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have no problems using my Hornet out to 150 yds.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornet is a wonderful and capable round and is just like any others...ya gotta put it in the right spot to make it work!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You decided on a good round for your application - are you shooting from the windows? What a nice way to spend the evening!!!

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Well, probably not from the window due to window design. I would probably use the nearest fence post as a rest.

I did set up my shooting bench on the front terrace earlier this spring and used the Hornet to shoot gophers from it. I call it redneck patio furniture!

Thanks for all the responses so far!

www.ceandersonart.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My nephew brought a friend to our house for Thanksgiving this last year - we had deep fried turkey and shot BB rifles at targets, shots of Jack Daniels with beer chasers and got to show off some of the coyote pelts I collected - He told me it was his first redneck Thanksgiving!!

Guess I gotta get some of your furniture for next year!!!!!!

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Coyotes, but I use my cz hornet on foxes and it works on them out to 200 yards, I use the sierra 45 gr .224 bullet it works good and penetrates quite well for a tiny bullet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to take on a coyote with my Hornet at 200 yards.
I shoot a Ruger M77 stainless/laminated that launches a 40 gr VMax at 3000fps pushed by 13 grs of LilGun powder. I can hit an 8" gong at 200 yards every time with a hold on the top of the plate.
If you can hit him in the ribs at 175 yards, you'll have one dead coyote.

PS-where are "the high plains of Southern Alberta"? :-)

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rembo ,
Spent some time in Southern Alberta . Great place but the mountains got in the way of all the scenery . Wink
There were a few spots where you had both feet on level ground . I guess they must be high plains ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If richochets might be a concern in your neighborhood , you also could consider a .17 caliber .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdgunslinger:
If richochets might be a concern in your neighborhood , you also could consider a .17 caliber .

A .17 Remington YES but not the .17 HMR. It wounds more Coyotes than it kills cleanly. I know and was with a contract state hunter that tried the .17 HMR on called in Coyotes and we ended up tracking down(and lost a 7) over 20 that were hit solidly in the chest area. Don't use the .17 HMR on anything over 12 - 15 pounds even using the heavier 20 gr. bullets. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
A .17 Remington YES but not the .17 HMR.
Don't use the .17 HMR on anything over 12 - 15 pounds even using the heavier 20 gr. bullets. Lawdog

Or consider a 17 MachIV.
Less powder, less noise, perfect for your use.

17 Rem or a MachIV, I think I gotta get me one of these...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog

Yes , I should have spelled it out , but I was referring to the .17 Remington or one of it's ilk such as the Mach IV .

I was hot to build a Mach IV a couple of years ago , but decided it would be easier to dial back the loads on the Remington cartridge a bit and get the same thing .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoot a Ruger M77 stainless/laminated that launches a 40 gr VMax at 3000fps pushed by 13 grs of LilGun powder.

That's my load!! And it will kill very effectivly. You don't need a .17 cal anything. That Hornet will perform as good as you can shoot. The only thing I would do is ream it to K-Hornet at some point in the future. You won't regret it.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perforator ,
Are you single loading ? Read somewhere that you have a CZ .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perforator ,
Are you single loading ? Read somewhere that you have a CZ .

No, I don't have to with the V-Max. The nose is round enough to fit fine in the magazine. I have had some that were too long. I think the Ballistic Tip is one of them. I bought my CZ second hand but as far as I can tell, the only modification was to ream it to K-Hornet. Both magazines appear original. I bought some 45gr. Hornet bullets from Cabelas that were very inexpensive yet gave really good performance. I think they were Remington bullets. I gotta tell ya that my rifle shoots very well with just about any load I put through it, and it just isn't worth me modifying the magazine to shoot a particular bullet.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a Coyote with the Hornet, but.... I have a 26" heavy barrel 22-250 for my Thompson Encore and a good scope that I use specifically for Coyotes. It just performs at a higher level and I up the bullet weight to 55gr. Ballistic Tips. Since it is a single shot, there is no magazine to worry about. I can't recommend this setup if you are a pelt hunter. Big Grin

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
For called in coyotes the .22 Hornet is my number one calling rifle. Effective out to 150 plus yards and a more pelt friendly cartridge I haven't found. A 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or 50 gr. Hornady V-Max does wonders on called in coyotes. The larger .22 centerfires just waste pelts. Use the Hornet. Lawdog
thumb

Lawdog has it right. Many will take the obvious path of light bullets are mandated with the Hornet. That is not an incorrect choice by any means; however, if you do venture to the heavier bullets you may find that for sub 250 yard shots, the more curved trajectory of a 50 gr. bullet is far outweighted by terminal peformance at >200 yard distances.

Given your 175 yard target range and the fact that your quarry is coyotes, I would opt for the 50 gr. V-Max without hesitation using a suitable quantity of AA1680.

Lastly, if your open to it, the .221 Fireball is a better choice while still being quiet and effective. Same bullet, same powder, much fewer headaches (brass will last much longer).

re5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote