THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    I NEED COYOTE HELP IN UP COUNTRY SOUTH CAROLINA HELP, HELP

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I NEED COYOTE HELP IN UP COUNTRY SOUTH CAROLINA HELP, HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Son of a gun. I got a coyote problem. I first saw it two weeks ago at night when I was out trying to pop rabbits out of my garden and I thought it was a loose dog. I next saw it Saturday MORNING AT 10:00am when I went up the little hill behind the house where I have my garden. It was in the neighbor's garbage cans. (The SOB's wife has been blaming my dogs) It took off like a streak and I got a good look and went on line to make sure and it is a F--k--g yote. Just to be double sure I went to all the neighbors to make sure none of them had a skinny looking German Shepard with a bushy tail and big ears. Nope, none do. I live out of town in hilly country and I can shoot without a problem. This I have already checked with the other neighbors (The people up here are very GUN FRIENDLY) I have a good rifle in 25 caliber with a scope, but the max distance would be under 100 yeads MAX. What to do next?
ADVISE PLEASE!
I also guess that explains why I haven't seen any more rabbits. Maybe I should just leave it alone? Nah Got to kill the f--ker

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What to do next... Shoot it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easier said than done. I have never hunted yotes and I don't have the slightest idea how to go about it. Should I bait it? I can do that. I can lock up the dogs even thought it doesn't seem to matter to the damn coyote as it comes in board daylight. Bait it with what? Cat food?
Come on Andy give me a better answer than that.
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Wiese:
What to do next... Shoot it!

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wounded rabbit distress call will work great. Set up by a clearing and start calling and get ready for the fun to begin. I would recomend a "critter call" brand for a mouth blown call. There are also many different electronic calls, the downside is they cost more money. If it wasn't so far to drive I would come down and help.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.predatormasters.com and post in the Calling in the east forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit, just lost this & have to do it again Roll Eyes

Bait it with the smellier the better. Bacon grease, bones, meat, fish, rotten anything. If you do not have a call do a Lip Squeak with you lips or on your arm. You know, like a fake kiss sound but drawn out. Sounds like he might have a den nearby (&pups to feed) seeing he is so frequent. Dogs will draw them in, they look at them as food! Sometimes they will wait for mine to come out.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big a dog can they hurt? I have a huge but old German Shepard (105 lbs) and a Beagle here right now, but my friend and owner of this place will be back in a month and he has two cocker spaniels with him.
What is the best time to try and bait HER (if she has pups)? I found scat that I believe might be hers. Strange, kind of greenish blue? Is the f---er going to eat my upcoming veggies?
Thanks

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
If your going to call it,be ready the first time,they get wise quick.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
The advice to go to predator masters is good.

I have hunted a lot of coyotes in Californa, the place is crawling with them.

In general, hunt early morning, at day break, or at dusk, although your coyote seems quite bold.

He is hanging around nearby, so a mouth call will work well. Some of the callers come with a cd to show you the sounds you can make, or if you know, just go practice a bit.

Someone else gave good advice- the first time you call, it will come, so be ready. I advise you not to sort of walk out with your rifle and blow on the thing, because he will come, look the scence over and learn that sound is associated with you.

My suggestion? Get a buddy to help out. The two of you set up in a blind, with lots of visibility. One of you call, the other man the guns. Yes, I said guns- If there are two of you, bring a 12 guage loaded with shot, and your favorite rifle.

Most likely, the coyote will come investigate, scan from cover at about 150 yards, and then work his way in with the wind in his favor. Then you will watch for movement and take him when he stops to scent/look things over.

Option B is if he is real eager he will come at the run. I have called coyotes from thick brush at a trail intersection and literally have them at the full run to the call, and had them only sight me when they were 10 feet away. That is when the shotgun works best.

Another option (check local laws) is to call at night, then scan with a spotlight. You will see their eyes and you will have to shoot fast after a reliable identification. This works best with a buddy- one spotting and one on the gun.

I found it is best to catch their eyes in the edge of the light beam- in other words, scan a little high and don't hit them with the direct light. Bring the light on and off them as you are making sure of your identification.

Good luck!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the really good advise. No buddy now, but I am in no hurry. Also I heard shooting early yesterday up the road at a guy's place that has cows and horses and goats. I also heard shoot late last night, 1:30am down the other side of the road. There is no place further away than about 75 yards in our place. The house sits near the front of the lot which is just shortt of 2 acres. The back is up a little hill and them semi-level where the garden is. looking out the back on the left about 80 yards is one neighbor house and behind that is where I saw it in daylight. When it saw me it took off to the right toward where my neighbor on the right lives. He has three dogs, but keeps them penned up. The barked so he or she must have gone by with sight. Damn they have balls. It knows that the dogs can not get to it. Should I use a red filter on the light and is it best to use one with a ttight beam or better to use one with a wider spread. I have both and both are bright The tight one is a Maglight 3 cell and it is really tight. The other is a rechargable job and it has a much larger beam.
Again thanks for the info.
ARE YOU SCV OR MOS&B?

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rooster, I went there and there is a guy over in Six Mile and I might contact him.
Thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster15:
Go to www.predatormasters.com and post in the Calling in the east forum.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
What about just buying a rabbit. People up here raise them a lot and they are cheap. Stake it out and cut off an ear to make it squeal. NO I CAN NOT DO THAT, well I could, but I won't. How about a chicken, live one that is? Up here NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS AND YOU HAD BETTER NOT POKE INTO THEIRS
Hell one neighbor has chickens and would probably loan me one.
BLOOD, should I use that as well?
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In MA they have killed Labs up to 80 lbs. "These are not your grandfathers coyotes anymore."

I have lip squeaked them right to my door. They ome in fast and without hesitation if they are used to traveling there because they are used to the human activity. They have stared down neighbors and I waiting for a chance, they just want that doggy dinner. You can try from a window which will keep you concealed and out of the scent cone. These are urbanized coyotes and used to human sight and smells but know when somehting "Fishy" is going on. Keep us informed.

Had one by my slider last night, they have been frequent in our yards last few weeks. Could not get him back in but the street was busy with kids yelling and driving by last night, must have been a full moon. Now my dogs go out at night with me and my bow. (can't use gun where I am)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a slider?

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn, just saw it again at 1:15am too slow, I didn't shoot. It was there and it was gone like a bat out of hell. Guess it was good I didn't sboot because for sure I would have missed with the rifle. DAMN THEY ARE QUICK. I believe I am going to have to go to the shotgun and buckshot #4
In reality this is getting to be fun.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am here in Seneca SC....

Zone 1 has some different laws about stuff like this. You might wanna check out with the DNR guys there at the Pickens range to make sure they don't qualify as "Small Game" .... if they do, you will have to make sure you have a permit to "hunt" them.... then you might only be able to hunt them with a rimfire or a shotgun.

Otherwise.....
Check with them about killing Yotes that are
"Killing your livestock." Don't bait them or even talk about baiting them.... as that will get you into some trouble.....

Remember, if you are trying to raise rabbits or goats or chickens or whatever and the Yotes decide to kill them.... You are protecting your livestock.... NOT HUNTING.

Good luck.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Thanks for the advise. I am going to use the three S's. I know you understand what I mean. My neighbors are cool.
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winggunner, A Slider is is what the Red SOx need right now, no, just kidding. Its is my Sliding French Door that I look out whilst I sit on my couch and watch the tube (thats a TV). Wink