New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 grain 22 Caliber A Maxes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received my first box of 80 grain A Maxes via UPS today....

I ordered a box of 100 to test out, before I ordered a bulk box or two of them packaged in boxes of 600 each...

I will load some up this evening and test them tomorrow.. both out of a Savage 223, with a one in 9 twist.. and a 22.250 custom Ruger with a 24 inch Pac Nor barrel with a one in 8 twist...

But initial looking at the bullet, If you like Long Lean and Shiney, then this bullet delivers!

I took the calipers and measured its OAL compared to the 75 grain A Max and the Sierra 80 grain Match...

The 75 grain A Max is 27.25 mms long...
The 80 grain Sierra Match is 27.51 mms long...

The 80 grain A Max is 29.25 mms long!

So this might not work for guys in their ARs.. but in a bolt action with a long action... one can really seat these bullets out there...( which I think reduces pressure, increases velocity and accuracy for starters... and makes them fly flatter toward WAAAAY out there targets!)

The Savage is a 12 BVSS...

The Ruger use to be a 243, and has a 24 inch barrel, with a heavy magnum contour...

I have been thinking about this bullet on a 22 TTH.. on a long action for antelope and similar sized deer at long distances.....

This puppies looks like it has some real potential! for fun and long distance shooting...

Look out prairie dogs!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting them at 600 yards in HP competition for two years now and I love them. They seem to shoot flatter and "better" than the 80 SMK. My loads are 24.2 VV-140 or 25.3 VV-540, CCI 450, seated .010 off. These are molyed loads. I'm getting right at 2930 fps with the 540 load (27" bbl) with moderate pressure. This load shoots a full 2.5 min. flatter than the 140 recipe at 600
They are also a great bargin, in boxes of 600 they can be had for less than $12/C

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote