THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Ruger M77 MkII Target Grey Target

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 MkII Target Grey Target
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
Was wondering about what you guys think a reasonable price would be for this rifle. I bought one new about a year ago, and have since put about 250 rounds through it. I want to sell this rifle because the price of ammo is hurting me, but i cant justify reloading. I want to get a Remington SPS Varmint in .223.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well what Caliber is it chambered in?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
wow cant believe i left that out. 22-250

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several ov the M77VT's and love them. The two stage trigger can be adjusted down easily. One of mine, in 22ppc the previous owner removed the first stage and lowered the trigger ot 8oz.
You should be able to buy it for $500, I would not go more than 550 for the gun and rings.
Every one that I have shot was easilt a sub moa rifle without any work and when fed the ammo it liked would do much better.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had a m77vt in 22-250 that was by far the most accurate factory rifle i have ever purchased! I dont know if the guy who assembled it got layed before he came to work or what but that damn gun shot like a BR rifle. It shot regularly under a dime with anything I could stick in a case. It just loved the now deceased 50 gn Barnes VLC with H380. If I put H380 and some form of bullet in it it would shoot sub-MOA guarenteed. The trick though was not to clean it. If I cleaned that rifle really good even shooting non-moly bullets it would take 10-15 shots before it settled in and it just went like hell from there. Sadly I had to sell it because of financial difficulties. I sold it to a friend of a friend under the pretense that it would be sold back to me when I recovered financially. Well the bastard had to go and shoot it and now I would have to kill him to get it back Mad. Oh Well I replaced it with a Cooper so I guess it all worked out in the end but I still would by that rifle back in a heart beat.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one this spring. Used in about 95% condition. It was scoped with a leupold vxIII 6.5x20 and had a harris bipod as well. The shop wanted 750. Which I would gladly have paid. I damn near disloacted my shoulder reaching for my wallet when he said he would take 650. Mine is scarey accurate with barnes varmint gernades. I did not care much for the trigger so I replaced it with a single stage rifle basix.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My M77VT is my most accurate gun as well. I agree with Hairtrigger as far as the price goes.

Posts: 30 | Location: E.TN | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Am I confused here.. are you selling the 22-250 ruger ??

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Reload that 22-250 then yu can shoot more and do fun chit like this.....

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two of them a few years ago (22-250 and 25-06). They are easily among the most accurate rifles I have ever owned right out of the box. Never had time to work on loads so all shooting so far has been with factory ammo and it is so good that I never worried about improving it until I have more free time.

Posts: 31 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
yea unless i have a change of heart i think i am going to sell the rifle. I have no question about the accuracy of this rifle, but im in college and with my limited finances, its just costing me too much to shoot as much as a would like. Thinking that a .223 will allow me to do more. I am going to sell just the rifle with the factory rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I do not come across as questioning these posts or anything...but...the well known but:

I have not been able to find the Ruger bolt action rifles in the equipment lists of any competition using bolt action rifles. F-Class, Savages. CBA Production Classes, Savages. Is it that Ruger owners just do not compete, or something else? I shot NBRSA Hunter Class Benchrest Matches at the national level for several, and cannot recall ever seeing a rifle based on a Ruger bolt action either.

Sign me: curious in SW Idaho......

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rugers have an undeserved reputation as innacurate. At one point their barrels were outsourced and a lot of them sucked. Ruger now makes their own barrels and things are much better. Because of bad barrels in the past noone ever took the time to do the typical accuracy things trigger, bedding etc. Barrels sucked so why bother. As far as not useing an action as a base why bother the market is full of other actions with way more options. Another thing with ruger actions they are so damn heavy. If your shooting any class were weight is a concern the ruger action eats up alot of weight limit.I think if more people gave them a chance rugers would get more respect. I own three an original 77 in 270. Got lucky has a good barrel will shot about a 1/2". The varmint I mentioned. I also have a 77 mark II in 350mag. The last time I shot that I had some loose pocket ammo to burn up I had bouncing around in my hunting jacket. I just fired as fast as I could. Never let the barrel cool. I put ten rounds in just under an inch. Not say all rugers will do this but they have potential. Would I buy one as target gun no. But I know that rugers capable of being target guns do exist. I don't have the name handy but their is a gunsmith in wisconsin who does accuracy work on rugers and shoots ruger actions in competition and does very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington actioned-rifles still rule the roost, but Savage is catching them and fast. F-Class is where the factories come to compete, and Savage owns it, even against 40X's.

I'd like to see Ruger compete, but they seem to have an interest in not making anything that could be used for competition. I shot one year at the Super Shoot. I did not see ONE ruger there, still haven't seen one in the equipment lists. They brag about finally getting a trigger that will adjust under eight pounds in the 2007 catalog. Savage, now all they can do is an Accu-Trigger that can adjust down to 6 ounces, offer a right bolt, left port configuration, 1" muzzle diameter bull barrels in 28 and 30" lengths, 1:9" twists to shoot those long heavy, high BC 80gr bullets, the list goes on. Ruger and Remington are committee companies, who can't seem to get much done. You mentioned that Ruger actions are heavy, everything they make is heavy. I owned a P85, darn thing weighed 4 pounds, or so it seemed.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree savage really seems to worry about shooters not dollars. Ruger is unwilling to intentionally devolope a product for a smaller sales group. Yet they are real good at unitentionally developing a product that only appeals to a small sales group. Any gun company that only looks at the bottom is line headed for trouble. Guns are toys. The way the things are a lot of people have less toy money. So you need to offer something that will encourage people to spend what spare cash they have. For a great bench rifle savage does just that. I was going to buy a savage before finding the ruger. I have a savage muzzleloader as well as a 17 hmr both with accutrigger. The accutrigger is great. I have never been very impressed by remington. They are a great hunting rifle. But nearly every remington bench gun is only a remington action except for the 40x which is crap compared to savage in my opinion. Savage also has the repution of nothing more than a cheap hunting rifle to overcome. I think they are doing just that with the new products they have come out with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to see Ruger compete, but they seem to have an interest in not making anything that could be used for competition. .

Just speaking of rifles I agree. The Ruger MK handguns in 22lr are the exception.
Then again, Why did Ruger chamber rifles in 6mmPPC? Yes a few of us varmint hunters have accepted the PPC but nothing like the competitive shooters

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote