New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Predator bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, you have raised an interesting subject. Generally, when we are talking predator hunting on this forum we are referring to coyotes, bobcats, etc. But now, a 200 pound wolf would be a whole different subject.

Having said that, I have called in and shot 250 pound black bear, but I used a 7mm Wby Mag for that.

I think you may be on the right track, I agree that the 115 grain Ballistic Tip is a good load for a 25-06. I have shot a number of antelope, coyotes, and hogs with it and it worked great with minimal exit hole damage.

I have also shot a number of coyotes with the 75 grain Hornady V-Max. It does a great job. They die like they were struck by lightning and I cannot remember one exiting or if they did, they did not make a large hole. Admitedly, a shot to the shoulder might just make a big mess.

On that subject, I can highly recommend you stay away from the 85 grain Ballistic Tip. As good as the 115 grain version is, the 85 grain is useless for anything bigger than a rock chuck. My buddies and I used to shoot lots of them but Nosler elected to change the construction a few years ago and we now find them about useless. I have seen several coyotes shot on the point of the shoulder with the 85 grain Ballistic Tip that had to be shot again because it only caused a HUGE surface wound and never reached the vitals.

These bullets used to work quite well, but not now. I love them for shooting ground squirrels and rock chucks, but gave up on them for coyotes and bobcats and now use the 75 grain V-Max.

For predators the size you are talking about I think I would stick with the 115 Ballistic Tip. That is a remarkable bullet.

Good luck, please let us know how you do.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

On that subject, I can highly recommend you stay away from the 85 grain Ballistic Tip. As good as the 115 grain version is, the 85 grain is useless for anything bigger than a rock chuck. My buddies and I used to shoot lots of them but Nosler elected to change the construction a few years ago and we now find them about useless. I have seen several coyotes shot on the point of the shoulder with the 85 grain Ballistic Tip that had to be shot again because it only caused a HUGE surface wound and never reached the vitals.

Thanks for the heads up.

Nosler Accubonds are now offered in 110gr. in the .257

This may be an excellent choice too. You could load this one up as hot as hell and not have it blow a doorway through the critter.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote