New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25 WSSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had my Savage converted to .25 WSSM and I like it pretty darn well. I also have a 700 Sendero SF in .25-06 and I love both of them. My WSSM is just a hair slower than the old -06 for the pressures I'm comfortable with but the difference isn't all that noticeable. The other thing I like about the WSSM is that it is so much more efficient for nearly the same velocities. JMO

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you can't knock holes in GHD's advice, but until you do get a .25 of some sort, shoot the heaviest bullets you can. A 55 grain .22 bullet has the same BC as a 110 grain .30 cal bullet, and we all know how wonderful that is at long range.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll throw one into the fire, you say you are thinking about a new rifle, why not look into a 6mm Remington? we just built my little brother one for long range p-dogs and it suprised me at how well it will buck wind and it does not drop off all that much! we were shooting the 80gr. Blitz Varminter out to a little past 550 yards and those little vermin would still look like they were hit at 100 yards with my 22-250
If you want a long range rig just add a 1-8 twist tube and some of the 107gr SMK's I don't know how well it would work being I have no experience with it but it would almost have to work out pretty well, the 70gr. SMK's do a wonderful job at punching paper out to 300 yards but we have not taken it out to much futher. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk, No real need to add the 1/8 barrel! 1/9 does pretty darn good with 105 AMaxs out of my 6mm.....will follow the click chart to 1200!!! You need a good spotter when using the Amaxs or the 107's though!! Not near the dust or "visual" as when using the 87 Vmaxs!! And also not nearly the "visual" when it hits a varmint!!! But then again, how dead is dead? I shoot them both, 25-06 and 6mm and like them both but the "varmint rifle from hell" in the varmints eyes is a 25-06!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, Congrats to the DIL!! The first one is always special.....horns or not!!!! I think you and me ought to get to run the corporate offices for a few days!!! We'd straighten them folks out!! MARK MY WORD!!!!......one of the big 2(Remington or Winchester) will bring to market their .257 or 6.5 versions of their "short mags" in the next year!!! Probably won't be Winchester since they've already STP's by releasing the super short version!!!! The 6.5 versions of both "short action magnums" are already catching on in the accurracy department!! My preference would be the SAUM version but then again "my blood runs green" based on the shoulder and what can be done with it by forward thinking folks!!! Little humor there folks!! Don't get your bloomers in a twist over that comment!!!

GHD

ksmirk.....the 1:9 may have problems with the 107's!!! But not the 105's!!! The 107 Sierras are a different beast than the 105AMaxs! And not to be stepping out into unbefore attempted lands(play on words since we're talking about rifle barrels....get it..."lands"(and grooves)I've not shot the 107 Sierras in a "9" twist barrel!!! So my comments may need some testing and resolution!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD, don't worry about it! you know I have just HEARD that the 107SMK's need at least 1-8, the rifle we built has a 1-10 for the smaller 6mm bullets or at least the midrange bullet weights. Are you sure about the SAUM? I like the green one also but I looked at 4 places today and did not even find brass! I found a hell of a price on a couple Remington's that a place has not been able to move. I think that the 6.5 Short Fat Round would make a real great hunting rifle if you could get the thing to feed right, should be close to the 264 Win Mag. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Remington were to bring out a short magnum in 6.5mm I bet they don't call it a 6.5mm SAUM but something along the lines of .260 or .264 SAUM. My main wonder is what would happen to the sales of their .260 Rem. if they did? I think the inchester would be a better bet re-introducing the .264 magnum in their WSM version. by the way the same day our new daughter in-law scored our granddaughter(12 years old and her first deer season) also got her first deer. A nice 3 pointer Muile Deer and the best part she was hunting with her mother and I. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gardar
profa�u 6.5*284 me� 120 grs ball, tip. Mjog nakvaemt, nanast sami ferill og 7mm rem mag 140 grs .slaer liti� sem ekkert. kv. K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I don't have a granddaughter yet but if you can be any more proud of a granddaughter doing the deal than a daughter.....I won't be able to stand it!!! Sarah's first smackdown on a whitetail 17" 8 pointer was at 271 yards using "her" .260 Remington!!! Give all concerned a "GHD" congratulations!!!!!
ksmirk, There will be some Remington 700 SENDEROS that I'll bet the distributors will sweep out the doors CHEAP this fall!!! I hope so!! I'll buy 1 (or 2 or 3)!!! SENDEROS are only going to be offered in a select few chamberings next year and 300SAUM ain't one of them!!! But then what can you expect from front office management? ....they dropped the 25-06 Sendero a couple years ago!! And the .270 before that!!!! Also for a little info n the 6.5SAUM go to www.wildcatshooting.com and look for Butch Keens comments about the 6.5 SAUM!! It's his 1000 yard gun of choice now!! He can fill you in on reamers and such for it!! The SAUM's (from my vantage point, and it get's skewed now and then!!!) offer intriguing machinists a little more "playground" to work with than the WSM case does! Winchester took theirs about to the max before release! Remington equaled the performance with more "workable" room to spare!!! The "SHORTS" from both sides create "marketing room" from the reloading component-tools people!!! Your standard hand held priming tool WON'T WORK!!!! Your standard powder funnel WON'T WORK!!!! Somebody can sell more new "toys" now!!! I've shot the WSMs and the SAUM's and am impressed by both but Remington tore themselvs a new one by not bringing out their SAUMs first instead of the RUM's!!!!!!! They'll never catch up!! Just like the .244Remington with the 1:12 twist versus the .243Win with 1:9 twist!!!! Never caught up!! History repeats itself!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a mauser 98 vz 24 old bruno, rebarreled with a shilen select match grade contor 5. bell and carlson varmint stock.

posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good possibilities here and some things to think about. Thanks!
Fox? Hvernig las er a 6,5unni.

Posts: 16 | Location: iceland | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With Quote