New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shotgunning Yotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My mossburg 500 does well with a winchester 3 inch #4 buck, I ordered a few boxes from Cabelas, hard kick but there will be a dead Yote on the other end within 45 yards.

Last one I used it on It had 7 holes in it at abouut 45 yards and it was running when I shot so the pattern probably was not centered on the yote, all hits were in the front of the chest and head/neck so I'd say I lead a little to much, shot one at 15yards and it was a real mess,,,cant find anyone to buy the furs around here anyway.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure if the range is correct... But I will tell you that we set up hunting doves in the desert (29 palms) I took the spot where we cleaned the doves the night before. I droped a yote at 3 yards with #8 and a modified choke out of a 20ga. Kinda tore his head up, but got the job done.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
#4 buck or copper plated bb's........

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up date. Got a second yote with a scater gun. 12ga with BB load. First one was by chance this one was with a purpose. Called him in to 20yrd and let him have it. My wife says I cheated b/c I used a blind, I don't think so.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used 12 ga., #4 buckshot in both 2 3/4" (27 pellets) and 3" (41 pellets) with very good results on both coyotes and cats. As long as the gun patterns them well, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the results, and I've connected on shots out to 50 yards, though most tend to be 35-40 yards. I also had a coyote run through a double dose of #00 buckshot at app. 45 and then app. 60 yards. None of the pellets connected. I know this for a fact because I trapped the same coyote a week later (I recognized him because he had a broken tail and a white throat patch), and he didn't have a mark on him.

In haste, I only checked the #00 load at 25 yards -- a mistake on my behalf -- and everything looked good. But at 35 yards, I later found the pattern opened tremendously. None of my guns, no matter the choke, seem to do well with #00, although I do have an old Winchester pump that fares reasonable well with #000. Nonetheless, #4 buck patterns well and makes a good option for calling in close cover or at night.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use #4 Federal Premium copper plated buckshot and Federal Premium copper plated BB's. With these two loads I have seen coyotes go down out to 52yds. I also saw 1 cougar anchored at 35yds by the #4 buck. I have seen #00 buckshot shot at coyotes but has failed to bring one down and these were at close range. They seem to run through it.

Posts: 53 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killeda yot with 00buck while deer hunting at 40 yards or so, he ran over 100 yards with 3-4 pellets in him before dieing,,

#4 works much better as there are going to be far more hits

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
What loads, gun, choke do you use when hunting coyotes? I'm dying to try a night hunt with a shotgun. I have a Mossberg 835 Ultimag 12 ga. with factory turkey tube. What load and shot size would you suggest for that set up?

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
#4 Buckshot will flat out anchor them with afull choke! Make sure you get buckshot and not bird shot. Good shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've used 2 3/4", #3 buckshot in a modified choke in an old 870 with no problem. A 3 1/2" load from a turkey choke should increase your range a little bit but I'd want to try pattern the load at 40 yards.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I use #4 Buck followed by 00 Buck if I have a runner or double comes in.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Born to Hunt,

First of all, check with your hunting regulations to see if there are any restrictions on the possession of buckshot during certain times of the year. Our DNR, (in their infinite wisdom) outlawed the possession of buckshot during all of our deer seasons, so this has severely restricted its use for coyote. That being said, I will tell you what I did even though you can�t use buckshot for coyotes in the fall.

First of all I couldn�t find anything off the shelf that wasn�t 00 buck. I bought some of every kind I could find and patterned it. What I found, was that all most all of the 00 buck loads were so terrible that there was coyote size holes in the pattern at 30 yards. Maybe not every shot, but enough to show me that there was no way I would use those loads on coyotes. Now, if you are going to follow through with this, you are going to need something between your shoulder and the recoil pad to soak up some of the recoil. 00 buck loads are going to punish you. Maybe you can find a load, choke and barrel length that will work for you. I could not. I found that a longer barrel made more difference than a tighter choke, but it still wasn�t good.

My solution? I ordered some Hornady No.1 buck. (30 cal.) 00 buck is 33 cal. In a 2 3/4 inch shell you can stack up 15 of the balls and they nestle in there so nice. The Hornady balls are nice and round, not all beat to hell like the 00 buck you will find in off the shelf stuff. (tear apart a 00 buck load and measure the runout of some of the pellets. I got as much as 4 thousandths). I backed off on the powder just a little and I loaded up some test rounds. WOW. Totally different than 00 buck. Very nice pattern out to 40 plus yards. Can�t tell you the exact load as I am away from my loading info, but if you load for shotgun you can figure it out easily. (I borrowed a loader and did it myself as I don�t have one) Now, I can�t tell you how well the No. 1 buck works during the fall because we are not supposed to have it during deer season, so all I can tell you is it works great after deer season.

I am sure that smaller buckshot will work also, the most important aspect of this is PATTERN THE LOAD.

Good Hunting. Later, pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote