Find
Notify
Tools

xr100 vs. new vssf
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
has anyone compared the two. I am going to get one or the other before spring. I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare. From what I hear the xr100 will be hard to beat. Also, what would the preferred caliber be:
223 or 204? I have an ar15 that i use 60gr. v-max in so I dont thik i will be able to make 1 load for 2 rifles. thanks.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have the rx100 in the 204.this gun will shoot 1/4 in groups at 200 yards.i put a jewell trigger on it set at 1.5 oz.i am shooting berger bullets moly both 35gr and 40gr.both will shoot the same.i have shot one yote with it dropped him in his tracks at 250 yards.love the gun.the 204 is my fav.in the samll cals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter: I was just out in your fine town last weekend and did "the Puyallup" (Gunshow that is!).
My XR-100 in 204 Ruger shoots VERY well also!
The last four 5 shot 100 yards groups I made with it measured - .322", .402", .374" and .421"!
I could not be happier with the 204 Ruger cartridge nor with the XR-100 Rifle! I just bought another XR-100 at "the Puyallup" last weekend! Its in 223 Remington and I am just now gearing up to shoot it.
I have a VSSF in 220 Swift and it shoots well also. Its last four 5 shot groups at 100 yards measured .399", .602", .562" and .691".
I guess it depends on what you will be Hunting (if at all) with the Rifle you choose. Do you think you will need the repeater feature of the VSSF or can you deal with the single shot XR-100!
I highly recommend the 204 Ruger cartridge and its inherent accuracy. I have three Varminters in 204 Ruger caliber and it IS the cats meow of Varmint cartridges!
If you can live with the single shot I say try the XR-100 in 204 Ruger! By the way I saw one at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Spokane yesterday on my way back to Montana for $699.00!
Yes most everyone I know that owns an XR-100 raves about the accuracy!
My friend Louie out in Maple Valley is bringing on line just this week an XR-100 in 204 as well. He mounted a big Nikon variable on it and has handloads made up - he is just waiting for the wind to stop!
I will let you know how his shoots as soon as he gives me a range report.
The trigger on the XR-100 is superior to the already fine M-700 trigger. It is lighter in pull weight and is externally adjustable! The thumbhole stock of the XR-100 fits me to a "T"! I love it! I shoot mine in all positions from prone to standing and off of portable benches and hoods of truck and off of my truck canopies roof! Its fits me perfectly from every shooting position and from many types of rests!
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a VSSF in 220 Swift and it shoots well also. Its last four 5 shot groups at 100 yards measured .399", .602", .562" and .691".

VarmintGuy

Dude I got one too as you know and it is a shooter and is .5 or less with my reloads now that I found out what she likes. I have been playing with 60 grn partitions and the results have much better than expected. If I remember corectly you were asking about accuracy with a 1-14 twist and 60 grainers. The load I have is pretty mild ( nosler book) well more like a girly load. Velocity is about 3435 ave so I think with a few more grains of H-414 and some more velocity the groups will shrink ( well I hope anyway) The best part is it's fun figuring it all out and burning lots powder. The best accuracy I have found with this rifle with 40-55 grain bullets has always been at close to or max loads. Seems the sweet spot is the fast spot.

I can't comment on the xr 100 as I do not own one currently but you never know what the future might bring, if I could just get my allowence raised a little bit for being a good boy lol. I would not over look the swift either as it is a fine cartridge and frags ground hogs as far as I can hit them. 192 ground hogs for 2005 with a lot of them 300-340 yards and one at 418 ( 3 shots to connect). I miss quite a few but that is the fun. Whatever you choose I hope it is comfortable for you and is a shooter.

Pic for varmint guy 60 nosler part

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For you fellows with the XR-10 204's--

have the chambers all been cut so that you can get the 32 grain bullets seated into the lands? The last few factory rifles I have bought have had Weatherby like throats that make accuracy tougher to come by.

Thanks,
Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougk: I have three new Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger and in keeping with todays manufacturing policies I can get no where near the leades of the rifling of any of these Rifles with ANY weight bullet!
Having said that my Ruger 77-V/T in 204, my Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger and my Remington XR-100 in 204 Ruger ALL shoot VERY well indeed! I am more than happy with the way they shoot. They were ALL easy to find accurate loads for and ALL of them shot factory ammo very well also!
Go figure!
I will also remind everyone that is has been a LONG time since I was able to make contact with the leades of the rifling with any factory Varmint Rifle using "typical" Varmint weight bullets in any caliber!
So be it!
I don't neccessarily agree with the "new" manufacturers policies in this regard but I have been able to live with it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hipster: Thanks for the updated info on the heavier bullets in the 220 Swift! I am storing it and sending a copy to my friend Dan!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Hipster: Thanks for the updated info on the heavier bullets in the 220 Swift! I am storing it and sending a copy to my friend Dan!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If you fellows want my load data just let me know, I would be happy to send it to ya. I am thinking that any of the other 60 grain or higher weight bullets are going to be too long for the 1-14 twist. Those 60 grain partitions are pretty stubby and if I push them faster the groups should get smaller like any other I have tried from 40-55 grains.

I have a couple of max loads in 50-55 with H414 that are just insane speed wise with excellent accuracy. Here is the the kicker I have as of yet seen any pressure signs in this rifle with them there hot loads. I have had a couple of guys at the range yacking at me about the swift and it being a barrel burner and cases stretch real bad and short case life for reloads and freeking bla bla. I have cases here that have had 8 loads in them with one trim after 5 and the primer pockets are still tight as a drum. If I work up my current max loads I would expect to see shorter case life with more stretch but when you are getting the speeds on the chrony I am getting with my current loads it might be a mute point.

The boys at the range are 22-250 guys and the sun rises and sets on the 22-250 in thier eyes. Well I am going to put them to the task with my chrony after the holidays, don't get me wrong there ain't no flies on the 22-250 and I would like to have one but I just have to make a point with these guys. It should be fun when the chrony number comparison is done and I got them by 200-300 fps. I bet they will get a little cranky and I will have a nice quiet giggle to myself.

Time to get a barrel of 414 so I dont run out so fast, better get a few pounds of 4064 too both my swift and 06 love those 2 powders. If I could find one more that both rifles like I would be quite happy till the end of time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hipster, If you want to shoot heavier bullets than the 55's or 60's....go up a notch to the 6mm's!!! Big Grin Big Grin The 220 Swift holds nothing over a good 22-250!!!
And you want to make eyeopening results(or get your eyes opened??)......try out one of them little "eyepopping" .204's!!!
Check out the trajectories with the little SIERRAS or the little VMAXS compared to the 50 and 55 grain stuff!!! Albeit, the wind don't blow s hard here as it does out west!!! But when I miss with a 6mm 3 times and then beg for "one more chance" and switch to the .204 at 496 yards, dial it in, and then watch the "death spray or red mist" erupt(thru the Nikon 6.5-20, (not on the video) but without moving from the rifle....I'm impressed!!! Can' wait till May to do the real deal at 500+ with the little fella!! ANd then be able to see it happen thru the scope!!! The SWIFT was a genuine breakthrough in varminting!!! ....and then the 22-250 showed up!!! And now the "little guy" 204 shows up!!! What's next!!! ???? GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy-

Thanks for the reply. I have been debating buying an xr100 or having a rem 600 action rebarrelled. It is ALOT more expensive to put a new barrel and stock on the 600, but guess that's the way I'm going to go. It drives me nuts trying to tune a load when I can't get near the lands.

Dougk

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
hipster, If you want to shoot heavier bullets than the 55's or 60's....go up a notch to the 6mm's!!! Big Grin Big Grin The 220 Swift holds nothing over a good 22-250!!!
And you want to make eyeopening results(or get your eyes opened??)......try out one of them little "eyepopping" .204's!!!
Check out the trajectories with the little SIERRAS or the little VMAXS compared to the 50 and 55 grain stuff!!! Albeit, the wind don't blow s hard here as it does out west!!! But when I miss with a 6mm 3 times and then beg for "one more chance" and switch to the .204 at 496 yards, dial it in, and then watch the "death spray or red mist" erupt(thru the Nikon 6.5-20, (not on the video) but without moving from the rifle....I'm impressed!!! Can' wait till May to do the real deal at 500+ with the little fella!! ANd then be able to see it happen thru the scope!!! The SWIFT was a genuine breakthrough in varminting!!! ....and then the 22-250 showed up!!! And now the "little guy" 204 shows up!!! What's next!!! ???? GHD

I am thinking about a 6mm AI right now as fellow I know has the reamers for both 6mm and 243 and I know where there is a brand new 6mm 700 VLS for a smoking price around 50% off list. I would also like to get a 25-06 as well and that would be a good hog killer farther than I can shoot currently. I am interested in the .204 as well I am just waiting a while until brass bullets and so on are easier to get my hands on in my very unsavy area of the world. Once this happens I am pretty sure one will be in the rack. This year I have spent about ten grand on rifles optics reloading gear consumables( primers bullets powder) rest's slings a chrony and other stuff to play with. I am thinking my CFO is going to cut my afterburners for 06. I see lots of cooking house work and mall trips for the next few months not to mention fewer beer nights with my bud's. I will have to tone it down in 06 but I should be able to get a couple of more set ups no problem I also need a shot gun for turkey this spring. Well you can't have everything, I am just wondering if I can slip a Kimber or Para in there in .45

Who knows whats next yer guess is as good as mine I think it is pretty much covered from .12 all the way up to 105mm in one way or another,but that again shows the creative side of homo sapien sapien. I dont see a pulse rifle in the near future lol but there will be some other new chamberings that will have merit I am sure.

Like I said no flies on the 22-250 I just want to jab those two knot heads a little so they will bugger off shut up and leave me alone. I think you know the type " mine is better than yours cause it is mine" stuff. A pal of mine shoots an old mod 70 in .222 Rem and he hits everything he shoots at. Knows the rifle better than he knows his wife, fully understands what his effective range is and ain't changing his rifle or his load. Hats off to him, it all boils don to what you like I guess.

Happy Holidays