New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Match king
 Login/Join

Picture of sledneck
posted
I´ve heard that Sierra Match king perform exelent in 1/14 twist barrels.Have anyone heard of another bullet that perfom similar accurace.

Posts: 7 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber? what weight?

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by APB:
What caliber? what weight?

To that I add, what purpose? Contrary to popular belief, paper targets and varmints are not the same...

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sledneck ,
If you're talking about you're .22/250 then you're right . The 52gn SMK works well on game to the size of kangaroos (up to 70kg) and is very accurate .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sledneck: The Sierra 52 gr. Match King bullets are splendidly accurate bullets. I have used them in many calibers in the past! I no longer use them at all for the simple reason they are THE most ricochet prone 22 caliber centerfire bullet projectiles I have ever seen! I won't Hunt with anyone that uses these splendidly accurate bullets either! That is a long story in itself and I won't go into it here and now!
I have had wonderful accuracy and wonderful frangibility from the Berger 52 gr. MEF bullets and suggest you try them.
I have also got very good accuracy from Speers 52 gr. hollow point flat base bullets and these do not ricochet as they are also very frangible!
Now I am making my concerns known about the Sierra 52's because this is a Varmint forum and you do not state specifically what you are going to use the 52 Sierras for but if you are contemplating using them in flat country for Varminting I heartily suggest you try another bullet. For target range work they are wonderful and that is what tempts some folks to use them in the fields for Hunting. I think even the Sierra Company recommends against using them for Hunting!
Every shot should be considered for safeties sake first and then only taken when one is sure of the background and/or the frangibility of the bullet!
I would try the Nosler 50 or 55 gr. Ballistic Tips or the Speer 52 gr. flatbase hollowpoints if the Berger 52's are not available over your way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking bench accuracy a Sierra Matchking in 52gr. HPBT or 70gr. HPBT is hard to beat. The Berger 52gr. HP and the Nosler Bal. Tips in 50 and 55grs. are top notch also, at least in my .224 Varmint rifles and 6mm's as well. The Sierra HPBTs are not great hunting bullets, but they're not supposed to be. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote