Find
Notify
Tools

Feral Dogs vs Coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
old As a youngster Shot gunning in Ohio and Virginia we would run into packs of feral dogs but never ever any coyotes. They just were not there. Now that the Coyotes are present in the eastern states, I just wonder what impact this has had on the wild dog packs?
ConfusedAny good info out there? beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd think they would try to avoid each other. I let our lab chase a coyote a few years ago, no hope of ever getting close the way that coyote just floated across a soybean field.

Of course a small dog could end up as hairy scat.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Of course a small dog could end up as hairy scat.[/QUOTE]
old And does even here in populated areas around me. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the research I've read indicates that when coyotes first move into an area, they will breed with any ferals dogs around. But as their numbers become dominate, they kill and eat dogs. When I first lived in Memphis, they had quite a few feral dog packs out in the country. And they were dangerous. Toward the end of my stay in Memphis (22 yrs), there just wasn't any feral dogs around. Back in the day, as the coyotes spread east, there were a number of scare articles about coy-dogs. They were gonna be a super smart, super vicious animal that would have you afraid to go outside after dark.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI would guess the same would be true about feral cats. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The few times that I have had a run in with coy-dogs they showed that they did not really have the fear of humans like a coyote and that they were super aggresive towards livestock, more so than coyotes.

I showed them the same aggression with a 55 gr. spitzer launched at @3800 fps. None of the three coy dogs I have taken liked that at all.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Considering that coyotes here bred with wolves before they entered the area, some are bigger than dogs.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigger, maybe. more aggressive, yes. I've trapped both the "eastern" coyote and the western coyote. the easterner was always more aggressive about wanting to bite you.
I still maintain that a lot of meaness that is laid off on coyotes is really done by people's free roaming poochy dogs.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an image I took off my camera at one of my pig traps. I showed it to the landowner and one of his neighbors and they never seen that "DOG" before. It appears to have a spotted coat and as far as a tail goes, can't tell.

They did tell me that another of their neighbors lost two calves back in January and one in February.

They both asked me if I would make it.....go away...

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornWorked on photo till it was clear. That is one impressive dog. shocker roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were able to clear it up, I would really like to see it. I do not have that ability, I am, shall we say, software challenged.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
If you were able to clear it up, I would really like to see it. I do not have that ability, I am, shall we say, software challenged.

PM me your E-Mail address. Be glad to send photo. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent...........

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
PM sent...........

The profile looks very much like the African lion hound ( Rhodesian Ridge Back). beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I've never seen a crossbreed. BUT, I have shot a few feral dogs running with a pack of coyotes. Some yrs ago I went to VA/Denver and the doc said there was a really mean big black dog leading a pack at his property down where I hunted and would I check it out when in the area.

Less than a month I made the trip just to see what he was talking about. The pack was out in the middle of a pasture and came charging toward my truck when I pulled up to the gate and opened the door. He was standing about 15 feet from me growling & baring his teeth like he meant for me to stay away from the place. I just shot him in the head and the rest ran off a ways and watched while I got out and took the collar off it. Didn't put a note in or any info at all. Just mailed him the dogs collar and still had tags on it. From Denver area no less! He contacted the owners and they said the dog wouldnt' come back to the car when they'd stopped at a rest area. Gave up after a good long time and wondered if he'd live, or get run over on the hwy or something. Really surprised them that he'd be leading a pack of coyotes. Though they did say he was a real fighter.
Wish I could think of the breed, it's that big chested black dog many use for guard dogs. Someone will come up with it.
George

PS: Rottwiler it is, thanks wasbeema

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rottwiler

Aim for the exit hole