New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 788
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just puchased a 788 in 22-250. I was wondering what that action is like. And would the 700 action fit in the same stock (anshutz target stock) without too much work? Any help would be great.
Thanks.

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The action is a 9 lug, rear locking action and totally different from the Model 700.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 788 is kind of an animal all on its own. It has rear locking lugs instead of front ones. Remington brought it out with the idea of selling a centerfire cheaper than the next guy, but it never really sold well. In fact the action is quite rigid and accurate rifles were made from it.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the info in the following link sums up the 788 fairly well.

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/788.html

Personally, I have never been too convinced by the claims of the people who seem to think that the 788 is the Porsche of hunting rifles, disguised as a Skoda.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read over that information on several occasions and it's definitely accurate. I think you'll be happy with your 788. I do suggest being gentle with the bolt handle but you don't have to baby it. My first gun that my father gave years and years ago was a 788 in .243 and I still have it. It was a shooter then, and it still is. I almost forgot... the stock is not interchangeable with the 700. However Ram-Line does make a replacement, and you can probably order one from Richard's Microfit if I remember correctly (don't quote me on that).

Timney is now making a replacement trigger for the 788, I just saw it in a Midsouth catalog the other day. A gunsmith can also do a nice job on it, I had Doug Shilen work mine over a couple of years ago and it's pretty slick. Canjar made one for a while, but not anymore and they're getting hard to find so I'd probably just order one of the Timney's. Good luck with your purchase.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote