Notify
Tools

204 Ruger or 22-250 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which one ?

Question:
I currently have a Remington Model 7 predator in 243 Win. but want to get something smaller so which would you get ? the gun will be a Remington model 700 SPS

Choices:
204 Ruger
22-250

Posts: 130 | Location: PA | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a lightweight Remmy .243 that I shoot 55gr BT from at around 4100fps but wanted another lightweight rig and got a new .204 Ruger, which runs 32gr at 4200+. I already have a few .223's and have had a few 22-250's and a 220 Swift in the past..just wanted something different. If your going the 22-250 route may as well go to the AI improved version for another 150fps....or just go right to the Swift and be done with it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Get BOTH! I think that is what I will eventually end up doing.

I have an AR in .204R....but I think I will eventually get one of the Savage Predators in .22-250...unless a Ruger #1 comes around in .22-250 at the gun show

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
For what, coyotes, prairie dogs, marmots???

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Yes, the use and range has alot to do w/ the response. The two calibers are dissimilar.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have both...just built the 20 cal last year...my first, but not my last 20 cal...not a whole lot of difference depending on the bullet weight even waving all the BC BS around as far as actual hunting goes, except you can get heavier bullets with the 22 cal which means more hitting energy at the longer ranges.

Basically the same argument between the 17 and 20 cal or the 22 and 6mm cals...which bullet, what game, what distance. Pick the right combo and you get your game...pick the wrong combo and you just waste time and components.

I also have a dozen or so other 17 to 22 cals including a 22-243 at the top end of the case spectrum...they all do a good jobs...DEPENDING...just like every other rifle/caliber.

Luck

posted Hide Post
Based on my experience, that being with 17hmr, 204 ruger, 223, 22-250, and 243, I would go with the 204. Especially if you are shooting small targets at a long distance. Recoil and being able to see the bullet strike thru the scope can be very helpful. The 22-250 and the 243 have too much recoil to observe the bullet strike. I have done considerable amount of prairie dog shooting out to 400 plus yards and anything larger than a 223 just doesn't work effectively for me. Perhaps with lighter reloads and less recoil the larger calibers would work, but not for me. I have remingtons and savages and considering all things, the savages are an excellent bang for the buck. With the accu trigger they can be fine tuned for a very light trigger. I have also shot coyotes with the 40 gr Bt in a 204 ruger at about 150 yards. Others may disagree with my choices but I have had much success. Good luck

Posts: 2 | Location: sw Mn. | Registered: 30 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
New Poll:

.25-06 or
7mm WSM

See what these guys mean? What will it be
used for?????????????

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Since you already have a 243 I'd vote for the 204. The 243 and 22-250 can overlap (Not that they'd work in your rifle, but you can get 55 gr 243 bullets and 80 gr 223 bullets) so I'd vote for something in a different weight range.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I have both and would hesitate to give an answer because they serve very different purposes IMO. I really like my 204 and my 22-250 is a tack driver with the cheapest factory ammo out there!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Tom????

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .204. It has everything you need to shoot crows and groundhogs.

Your .243 can fill the role of a .22-250. I used to load the Nosler 55gr. Ballistic Tip in my .243 Win. It killed groundhogs like the hammer of Thor.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
It makes no sense to vote for something w/o knowing the parameters. But since 90% of voters do the same thing every 2-yesrs, I guess I can't expect much.

It does get old seeing someone ask for advice w/o giving enough information for others to give a considered opinion, then not bother to followup on his own question by responding to requests for clarification.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 204...as georges said above...you already have a 243 for longer range work. The 204 will serve you well for any shorter range work!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a doubter, but now I embrace the .204 Ruger as the hands-down best varmint cartridge available for all-round use.

There are a few provisos like everything else though. The first of these is that the standard barrel twist of 1:12" is too slow for the widest range of bullet weights and types. Although 26 grain to 35 grain bullets work well in the standard twist, some barrels will not shoot the 39 grain and heavier bullets accurately. This effect is not consistent within a brand of barrel, some individual barrels will, some won't. To shoot the 40 grain and heavier bullets a faster twist is recommended, some have found 1:11" twist more accurate, some 1:10" or 1:9", I tested 1:8.5" twist and found everything from 26 grain Varmint Grenades to 50 grain Berger bullets work phenomenally. Keep this in mind. Although I have taken Belding ground squirrels consistently out to 250 yards with the 26 grain Varmint Grenade and a 1:12".

Otherwise, the .204 Ruger is a factory offering, with inexpensive good quality brass available and a wide range of bullet weights, shapes and even lead free offerings. There is a wide range of factory ammo available.

Recoil is minimal in a varmint weight rifle, allowing hits to be observed through the scope. First time I ever witnessed the shock wave of a hit on a ground squirrel was with the .204 Ruger. Whoa!

The cartridge burns little powder but develops high velocity and accuracy. 25.1 grains of Reloader 10x and the little Varmint Grenade develops 4,085 to 4,110 fps. depending on which barrel I shoot it in, with groups under .25". Even bad groups are still around 1 MOA.

The .22-250, on the other hand is a grand cartridge, I'm still building another on a blueprinted a Remington 700 action, although the Ackley Improved version.

.22-250 brass can stretch a bit if F.L. sized each time, which is countered with neck sizing. Using the Ackley Improved version virtually eliminates brass stretching. Lapua makes extreme quality brass for the .22-250. A Hornady hydraulic case forming die matched to the chamber dimensions results in 99% formed cases without barrel wear.

It requires more powder to develop the same velocities as the .204 Ruger - it isn't as thrifty.

My .22-250's are built with the Barnes 50 grain Varmint Grenade in mind. Barrels are 1:9" to stabilize the longer V.G.. Accuracy is quite good with some loads grouping well under .5".

The .22-250 recoils a lot more than the .204 Ruger in the same weight rifle. It produces more noise than the .204 Ruger.

The ability to use longer/heavier bullets, or low drag bullets, make for longer range shots if conditions and ability allow.

If i were limited to one rifle, or was just getting started, I'd go with the .204 Ruger. I wish it had been available when I first started hunting varmints 40 years ago - it would have saved a lot of grief.

posted Hide Post
Kevin,

Tom is located in Pennsylvania. I based my recommendation on the premise that his varminting options are coyote, fox, bobcat, groundhogs, and crows (starlings and English sparrows, too, but I think he'd use an air rifle for those).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Possibly, but does he want a

*quiet cartridge
*economical cartridge
*PD cartridge
*Crow cartridge
*cartridge to reach a certain distance

Too little information = uninformed opinions

Member:

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the 204 mostly because I think it much like the 17 calibers, it probably isn't for the windy deserts of idaho and the updrafts in the Snake river canyon..I have heard a lot of complaining from the locals that have them..

I pretty much settled long ago on the 222 and the 6x45, but hey I am an outdated curmudgeon they tell me around here.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have 'em both and would pick the 204 if I could only have one. Its not only for short range and light bullets too.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
204 if you are a wuss...

22/250 if you are a man... Big Grin

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a wuss

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it difficult to discuss recoil as a factor when we are discussing the 204 Ruger and a 22-250 or any other varmint caliber, I mean c'mon guys! animal

Now noise, that may be a factor in some overpopulated areas I suppose, in which case the Hornet is probably the best choice.

In my part of the country I like heavier bullets as the wind is a big issue in these parts, We have lots of Rockchucks in the Snake River canyon and updrafts are horrible and move all bullets, thus my preference of the 6x45 and it also doubles as a great deer/anteope and coyote caliber also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned it depends on the area you are hunting in and the hunting conditions you encounter.

My varmint line up includes .22lr, .223, 22-250, .243 and I feel that it covers the needs that I have for the hunting of the prey and conditions that I find.

I've shot a buddy's .204 while out rock chuck hunting along side my .223 and didn't find a noticeable improvement that caught my attention. My .223 is a high ender in performance with 40g NBT at 3975 fps. and as such covers the area that the .204 would shine in, in my opinion.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either but the choice could depend on what you already have in the safe.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some one gave me a brand new 204 take off barrel, 20 inch featherweight style..

I set it up for Seafire Jr...

I've been having a blast turning it into a 22 Win Mag equivalent...it is more accurate than any 22 Win Mag I own, and it is as cheap or cheaper to shoot..

34 grain HP Bulk bullets from Mid South...

made a batch of local crows crash and burn...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
22-250. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta vote for the 22-250.I'm not a fan of any of these newer small pill rounds.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best Answer, "It Depends". I enjoy my Ruger #1 in 22-250,(good for coyote and small varmits). I use a 17HMR for our sagerats along with my Ruger 10/22. I recently got ahold of a 20 Vartarg and that is a lot of fun.

As ever and always it depends on the individual's personal preferences.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people voted for the .22-250 who have never owned a .204 Ruger. I've owned and hunted with both extensively. The .204 is a better prairie rat cartridge. The 22-250 might be better for coyotes unless you're interested in saving pelts. It's probably a toss up for groundhogs and marmots. I believe my barrel life will double that of the 22-250. After over 1,000 hot rounds my throat wear is very minimal.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I believe my barrel life will double that of the 22-250. After over 1,000 hot rounds my throat wear is very minimal.

Good to know. I have a Tac 20 barrel on an Encore. Its most
accurate load spits 32gr VMax's out at 4100fps, not far
behind the Ruger .204.

Also have a heavy .22-250 (Savage VLP). Both are great,
but with the Tac 20, I can easily keep the scope on
target. But not so much with the .22-250.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im an old timer and have been lucky. I live in prairie dog and coyote country. My experence is limited to the following bolt action small game,varmint preditor rifles chambered in the following cartridges: 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball,17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 22LR,22WMR, 22 Hornet,221 Fireball, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, and 243 Winchester. For me, my top prairie dog rifle is the .204 Ruger and the 22-250 Remington is the most likley used for coyotes. I started reloading cartridges in 1953 and any centerfire rifles for me must shoot .75 inch and smaller 100 yard five shot groups off a bench rest, a few will do .25 inch groups. But if I was out of 22-250 ammo and had some 39 Gr bullets loaded up for the .204 I,d use it for yotes . My use of the 22-250 on prairie dog are limited so the barrel does not get hot so I am more likley take the 17 and 221 Fireball rifles along with the 204 to shoot p dogs. You did not state what you will be hunting and at what distances your shots will be so I did not check a cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250 has a seat as a deacon in GOD'S chosen chamberings! 25-06 sits in the pulpit. With that being said. the 204 is the deacon looking to become elder!!! The 204 runs with the 250 out to 500 yards when comparing 39 grain Sierras to 55 grain V-Maxs....less than 1" difference in drop or wind deflection in a 10mph crosswind. NO RECOIL!! NO LOSING SIGHT PICCTURE! I LOVE the 22-250!! It was GODS gift to varmintdom. But with modern bullets, modern powders and the accurate factory rifles available today, the 204 fills in up to 500 yards! Over that and you need to have some respect for the game being shot at. I've killed groundhogs out to 771 yards with the 204 but that is stretching it's capabilities for humane kills........prairiedogs.....1/3 the size of a groundhog(if that) go on and use it if you want to. The 22-250 will handle the longer stuff with more definitive results! The 6mmRem, 243 Win, 25-06 (if only they'd make varmint bullets for the 25's that could stick with 6mm 87 grain VMAXS at extended ranges!!) GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went back to the original and a couple posts down. The Swift is nothing more than "burn more powder version" of the 22-250. PERIOD!!! BTDT!! 150fps difference in hitting a groundhog don't mean JS to the groundhog......he dies!! I did the original testing of some of the ACCURATE powders for the 204 and you can push the 32 grain pills to over 4400fps with AA2230........safely!! All you need to really know is 27.5 grains of Acurate 2520 and the 39 Sieera BK.............if your 204 doesn't like that load, sell it, trade it whatever!! The 204 is to centerfire varmintdom what the 17HMR was to rimfire varmintdom................PDE.......Prety Darn Exemplary!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
some one gave me a brand new 204 take off barrel, 20 inch featherweight style..

I set it up for Seafire Jr...

I've been having a blast turning it into a 22 Win Mag equivalent...it is more accurate than any 22 Win Mag I own, and it is as cheap or cheaper to shoot..
34 grain HP Bulk bullets from Mid South...

made a batch of local crows crash and burn...

A great idea, indeed. Would you share some load data on your downloaded .204R loads?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote