New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 yotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a savage 110e w/ 4-16x Simmons on it. Will use for yotes. It shows potential. I shot Fed Premium 55gr Sierra hp(gameking) and it shot just under 1moa.

I also have a tack driving 223 - rem700 adl in hs precision stock. I shoot handloads in that, but the pet loads there are at 222 velocity.
But, the Savage cam e available.

I'm sure I'll like the additional flatness and thump. Always wanted this caliber.

What bullets(handloads or factory) do you 22-250 guys like on large easter yotes ?
I figured to stay away from the 40gr, but I would like to hear from experiance

thanks

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a savage 12bvss in 22-250 with a bushnell elite 5x-15x.

I have started using Hornady 50 gr. Vmax uncoated (factory). I have been shooting these bullets since october and have shot 7 coyotes and 3 red fox.

On the coyotes shot under 225 yards have only had an entrance hole, no exit. but anything over that distance there have been two holes, exit wound being about 1.5". This includes coyotes out to 365 yards (lazered).

Fox are another story. One was shot at about 150(broadside), hole the size of a softball. Second shot broadside at 282 yards (lazered) exit about 2.25". And the third was a head shot at 111 yards with the exit hole being about 2.5".

None of the animals have moved after being shot, they dropped where they were standing.

These are just my experiences.

I hope this helps some what.

Graylake

Posts: 187 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
I like the Hornady 55gr Vmax in my 22-250. Hard to beat the
Vmax...50gr or 55gr.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill-I am a big time fan of yote hunting-where do you go in your part of the world to hunt yotes? Do you get many per year-how do you hunt them?

Thanks for your time

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bughole, I only shoot reloads and have used 55gr Hornaday spsx,sierra varminter soft point, with good results. I have most recently used Sierra 40gr blitz kings also. I have shot 4 yotes with the 40, 2 made about a 2 inch "slice" on entrance with no exit, one I could not find any holes and the last was shot in the head.
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also had good luck with the blitz kings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For this gun at least for now, I'm using federal Premium. Probably load for it later.
The Fed Premium is w/ Sierra 55gr HPBT. I spoke w/ Sierra and they reccommended these instead of the 55gr Blitz since they thought it would blow too quick.
In any event I have a few boxes and I sighted with this. So, I can hunt Sat, and will get brass from these

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Like an old record, huh?

I would still recommend the #1365 Sierra 55gr. SPBT for your 22-250. If you shoot enough coyotes you are going to have "blow-ups" on the shoulders and frontal chest shots with the V-Max's and you will lose animals or have them run a long ways. If the shot is perfect, the V-Max will drop them every time. The Sierra 55 gr. spitzers will generally have less pelt damage as well.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 55 grain nosler BT. coyotes have been shot at 100 yards and less. I have only had one exit with a quarter size hole. I use to use a 60 grain sierra HP which when they exited you would see a softball size hole.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
Mark... me?

Most folks don't seem to care much how we hunt them in our neck of the woods. I am glad you ask! Pretty much the same way you folks probably do. I call. I have a variety of calls. I bought most of my calls from Randy Anderson. I also have an electronic caller. I try to setup over some sort of bait. We have a place where they dump road kill deer on public grounds. There is no competition for hunting coyotes around here, so I set up 300/400 yards from likely spots like this and call. I sometimes hike the trails and call as I go. I have had them run in on me like that. That is fun! First time it happened I stood there with my mouth open while the coyote totally ignored me. He came within 15 yards of me. I have seen dogs in the morning, at night, in the middle of the day.... it is mostly farms where I live so the yotes are used to seeing people on tractors and stuff. As long as the farmers haven't shot at them, they are pretty bold. I own some property myself, but my neighbors starting shooting at the local pack with .22 lr and educated them... so now they only come around at night.... Most coyotes around here are shot from deer stands....

Thanks for asking!

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
Bob is right, those little rockets will blow if you hit a shoulder. Good point...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some dies. Mainly because I looked around my loading area and have v-max(40,50, and 55gr), balistic tip(40, 50gr) and 1lb of imr-4064, and 8lbs of 748. I load for a rem700 .223.
So, I'll eventually cook something up. The Imr-4064 looks like a decent powder, although I'd have to say that Varget looks tops on the list also

one of us
posted Hide Post
bughole, I am working with imr 4064 with my 22-250 right know and getting under .5 with 35.3gr with 50gr v max. The FPS is only around 3600 last time I check but it was cold I am going to try it again this weekend. I got the idea to try it from woodeye here and he was getting tiny little groups at around I think 36gr or somewere in that area. So don't be afraid to try 4064 it will work well. Varget is a good powder though my friend uses it and FPS are way up in his gut over 3700 but that was with 37.5gr and that is getting hot but his gun sems to shoot uit well again it was very cold out so he my have problems in the summer. do a serch here on loads for 22-250 lood for one by woodseye I think that his name you will see 4064 can be a good powder. My next farorit is RL 15 around 35.6 to 36gr very good load. Hope this helps get you started.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like re15 in my model 7 .308.

Your buddy shouldnt have to worry about Varget. Its part of the "extreme series" of Hodgdons. From below zero to 100, the pressure barely varies. I used Varget in a 7mm-08 Svagae Striker that I used to have. Really liked it.
THe 4064 is tough to meter, but I load single stage and trickle the power for rifles

one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
I use H380. I like it real well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont like how the imr-4064 worked in my gun. Could be the gun a bit also. But, I tried w/ 55gr v-max. I also have 40 and 50gr balistic tips and v-maxes which I'll try. But the 40's I feel would be light for yotes.

Checking the Nocler manual, I liked the looks of IMR-4895. That showed the baest accuract at the hisghes velocites, whereas the 4064 behaved like I saw, best accuracy at lower velocities. I definetly want the 22-250 shooting fast. I have a nail driving .223 already.
Any tried 4895 ?

Also, I didnt crimp at all, and never have for bolt guns. I have the Lee factory crimp. Have any used this and see it AID accuracy ?

I have a friend who crimps for everthing. He worries about setback feeding from the magazine. I measure for that, but dont see the coal changing

one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant to add that Varget looks good as well. I tried 4064 first since I had a pound on hand from a 308 experiment that I never complted two yrs ago

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Like an old record, huh?

I would still recommend the #1365 Sierra 55gr. SPBT for your 22-250. If you shoot enough coyotes you are going to have "blow-ups" on the shoulders and frontal chest shots with the V-Max's and you will lose animals or have them run a long ways. If the shot is perfect, the V-Max will drop them every time. The Sierra 55 gr. spitzers will generally have less pelt damage as well.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Try this.......

55 gr. #1365 Sierra SPBT
Varget-36.0gr. (36.5 max)
3600 fps.

Just be careful with Varget.....it gets hot VERY quickly.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
Bob... I bought a box of the Sierra 55gr SPBT last week and put them on paper this past weekend. Even though we had terrible wind over the weekend, shooting them in .223 I put quarter size groups on the targets using 3 different powders.

I tried Benchmark for the first time. It has possibilities.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

Congrats! Keep us posted!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
are 50gr Nosler balistic tips tougher than v-max ? I hear you about the Sierra's, I just happen to have v-max 40, 50, 55gra and NBT 40,50 on hand.

What about crimping, any do that ?

As I mentioned, I have the factory crimp die, but I've never crimped for bolt guns, or seen setback issues fedding from the magazine

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I emailed Sierra last week and the bullet you recommened is the same one you are recommened. They also said if yotes are going to be close keep the speed down as he said speeed is what buts the big exit holes.
Bughole,
I am not sure what your looking for in speed but with 35.2gr of imr 4064 I am getting an average of 3600 & it's cold here. But the best speed we have goten to date is with Varget 3700 - 3800 is possiable. Booth loads are with 50gr V-Max. 4064 is shooting around .5 in my gun at 3600 fps. I also like re 15 and am getting 3650 - 3700 with 35.7gr of that. If you want that 22-250 to really smoke shoot 40gr bullets 4000 is no problem with eather powder. I haven't done the math but run a bulistics program you might find the speed of 40 makes up for weight check the foot pounds at different ranges. Just a thought. I like to keep the speed down a little to help barrel life. Still trying to shoot my first yote so can't tell how my loads work on them but it does a jog on woodchucks.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bughole,

Sounds like I am a couple months ahead of you with the 22-250. I have not killed anything with mine, but posted a similar thread not too long ago. A good fella sent me an article on this subject from Varmint Magazine about a Southern Colorado Coyote hunter who did ALOT of testing on diff bullets in the field on Coyotes. The load I settled on is the Speer 52HPFB. The load data for Speer was tested in a Rem700 22" barrel like I have. The load as listed by Speer shot three 1.5" groups consistantly @ 260yrds (lazered in the field) off my shooting sticks in a sitting position! The shortest time I have ever spent on load development!!!! This bullet has an excellent reputation for one small in and none out.

Speer52HPFB(part #1035)/2.350"OAL/
H380 42.0gr (2.980cc)=3811.5fps @ 7500fasl (1.417" 260yrd groups off sticks w/steady 10mph crosswind)

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, R-P cases full sized and trimmed, CCI250 mag primers. Accuracy was obtained without playing with load at all. Had a 4-16x Sightron scope on the rifle, group might be tighter with more powerful optics and no wind (even though it was steady).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote