Find
Notify
Tools

coyote size?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
We shot one the other day that looked unusually large (maybe we are crazy).

What is an average lenght (nose to tail) of a coyote? This one was 52" tip to tip.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much did it weigh? We used to shoot about 100 a year and very few big dogs would way 40 pounds, maybe 10-12 out of 100. Most full grown males will weigh 30 pounds if in good shape at least in Mo.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
We didn't weigh him... the 270 removed a large portion of him anyway.. Big Grin

He looked to me like a young German Shepherd.

I think they are getting big eating all our whitetail. Mad

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very deceptive ..........

I am holding this coyote with his nose just off the ground....he appears huge based on the fact that I am 6'5"

He is exactly 40 lbs. ....others have guessed much higher

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=450274&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you measure it on the carcass? I've never measured one that way. I know there are 40lb coyotes out there but the biggest I've weighed was 33lbs. The hide was 72" nose to tail before stretching. I've killed other coyotes in that size range and they do look big compared to average coyotes.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dum pups that let me shoot them are small.

But I see big foot prints.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first couple of years I weighed most of the coyotes we killed. The average was about 23 lbs for CA, NV, & AZ coyotes (using a quality scale). The range was about 19 to 26lbs. In subsequent years I have only shot & weighed two that went 33 lbs and they were far and away larger than any others. Trapped animals may slightly different. Callers get a lot of young customers and that may slightly tilt the scale but I doubt by much. Other areas of the country certainly seem to have larger body sized than the Southwest. Estimates of size are usually way off but unconfirmed weights do give the storyteller much more latitude! Just look at the difference between a winter coyote and summer one. Their weight is similar but boy do they look different. Good Hunting !

Posts: 33 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
check this link for last yrs results from Pa coyote hunt. Most of these dogs are mountain grown. Some in the lower agricultural areas do get larger.

coyote

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here in New Mexico ive seen lots of dogs that went 40 pounds and i trapped one once that was44 the length on him was 60 in from nose to tail

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Out here 20-25 Lbs is probably normal. I think that I've only seen a couple that would go over 30 lbs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12577 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest one I've killed weighed 52 pounds. I should of had him mounted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In NY they are usually [according to the officials] 45 lbs but it's not unusual to see up to 75 lbs ! There are an estimated 30,000 coyotes in NY.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are all NY coyotes. A true 50 is hard to come by and 60+ exceedingly rare. The guys that really know coyotes and their size are trappers as serious trappers out do hunter by a huge margin. I'm not but am cloase to a hard core one who traps coyotes with a vengance mostly because of what they do to fox.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
In NY they are usually [according to the officials] 45 lbs but it's not unusual to see up to 75 lbs ! There are an estimated 30,000 coyotes in NY.

I'd check to see if someone's thumb isn't on the scale. It's true that colder climate animals are typically heavier those of the same species from a warmer climate, but to get a coyote to 75 pounds it would have to be force fed on Hostess Twinkies.

By the way, 30,000 coyotes can be found in a single county in parts of Texas.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have out of curiosity weighed a few coyotes over the years. I believe the average would be very close to 25 pounds. The largest coyote I have taken weighed 47 pounds frozen stiff the next day. I dont think I have ever taken another over 30#.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

.... but to get a coyote to 75 pounds it would have to be force fed on Hostess Twinkies.

By the way, 30,000 coyotes can be found in a single county in parts of Texas.

So we should get rid of the "twinkie feeders"??
Wink Big Grin