Find
Notify
Tools

PRAIRIE DOGS!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Well, went prairie dog hunting for the first time yesterday...it was probably one of the best times I've ever had! I was shooting my 22-250, but another girl also let me shoot her 204. I only shot about 130 shots and got 19 prairie dogs, but I could do that all day! When using the 204 inside 400 yards, alongside the 22-250, I thought it hit harder and had less wind drift. Theoretically this doesn't work out maybe, but results with the 204 were slightly more graphic I thought, although the 22-250 threw them up higher. After shooting 104 shots in one spot, we moved a couple hundred yards to a new town. With 26 shots left I hit 4 prairie dogs between 500 and 650 yards with the 22-250. I was amazed how accurate the little 45 grain cheapo pack bullet shot waaaay out there. I had a spotter with an expensive Leica rangefinder helping me, at 650 yards I got my furthest pdog with my second to last bullet. Looking at the charts, the bullet doesn't have much more energy than a 22 LR at this range, but at 650 the pdog still got thrown into the air, which I thought was very impressive.

Another impressive thing I saw is a boy who shot 2 prairie dogs past 200 with a 22 LR. He shot probably 200 shots, but I was suprise how well he shot the little bullet way out there. With about a 30 MPH wind he placed the bullets mostly within a couple feet of the pdogs, finally hitting 2 in the head.

I wanna go again!!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Where were you? bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ummm...somewhere on Indian ground about an hour east of the Badlands. There wasn't really a town near us, it was "take this road for 30 miles, then when it forks, take the one with the tree by it, cross a big bridge, turn left, etc.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, So is this to mean you are now a .204 fan?? The 22-250 was GOD"S gift to varminters and then somebody made a 20 caliber verion of the 222MAg out of it!! Out to 500, FUN registry has to go to the .204! No recoil, See your hits(red mist is fun!!) see your misses too! No spotter needed!! The little .204 is amazing!! The 22-250 is amazing!! Long live the .204, the 22-250 and GODS favored chambering............the 25-06!! (HE also liked the 6mmRem so I'm told!!) Big Grin Wink beer GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote