New
Find
Notify
Tools

I NEED A 17 CAL BORE SNAKE!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone on the internet said that cz 17 hmrs need a bore snake because the bores are extra tight. If that is true or not is no matter i want one anyways for my cz 452 varmint in 17 hmr. Where do i get a good one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd be better served with a patchworm...the boresnake in a CZ american .17hmr is real tight.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68660

http://patchworm.com/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my 17 boresnake for my marlin 17vs. It does get tight if its not kept lubed though. I almost got it stuck once when I tried to pull it through dry. Best bet is to pull fast and dont stop once you get it moving, at least for the first pass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OT- this is the funniest title to a post i've ever seen. Had to wipe the coke I was drinking off my screen when I saw it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Utah | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones for a pellet gun do not have the brush built in. Wal-mart sells them. I got mine at a Gander Mountain. I only plan to use it to remove bore foam, not for serious cleaning. Pick up a Pro-shot rod and some nylon brushes. Pro-shot is the stiffest on the market. Dewey and Bore-Tech are like noodles

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do 17HMR's require cleaning on a routine basis? What is "routine"? 100, 200, 500? Any of you got any copper out yet? Amazing little beast, the 17HMR!!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog Devastation: I clean every 100 rounds (two boxes) at home with the full deal of 17 caliber rods and brushes and such.
I just bought a Bore Snake for the 17 HMR at a Gunshow a few weeks back. I have not used it in the field as yet and that is what I bought it for. Next spring when the shooting is hot and heavy I will not have to put the Ruger 77/17 away after two boxes of ammo has been shot I will just clean it in the field and keep on shooting!
I have talked to a lot of people regarding the cleaning interval for the 17 HMR and I have gotten a lot of different opinions.
I better get that Bore Sanke out of its package and try it out - I do not want any surprises in the field next spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy Et ALL:

I have bought a 17 cal Bore Snake to use in my Ruger , Marlins and H & R 17 HRMs. In fact I have taken them back and exchanged them.

The three I have tried are all too large to clear the tightness of the bore in all 4 of my 17 HRMs.

The 17 is just too small of a bore for the bore snake concept to use. I use them extensively in ALL of my other rifles, but in the 17 HRM they are a waste of time, I am sad to say.

Good luck if you find different experience from mine.
I will gladly sell mine to anyone who wants to buy it.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote