New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck Guns?
 Login/Join

posted
What do you guys use for a truck gun?

I have a Mauser that I think might be a good candidate for that application. It is in 22/250 but needs to be rebarreled.

I have played with the idea of a 20 inch barrel but in heavy varmint contour. Something on a 57 mm case sounds like a good idea. Either 6mmRem, 257 Roberts or a 6.5 x 57.

It would be nice to have a rifle one does not worry about. Butler Creek stock, Tasco Scope and go 4 wheeling with it. Stainless steel PacNor barrel, and just shoot the crap out of it and rebarrel it again.

Cheers
Thunderbolt!

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77/44 SS, Millett SP-1 red dot, 300 gr. Paper Patch.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I like my Encore with 15" stainless 308 barrel and 2-6 Bushnell Trophy pistol scope.

It's incredibly easy to conceal in the truck when I'm not using it (under passenger seat to prevent theft) and most hunting it does is directly from the truck or within a very short walk to stalk game recently spotted from the truck.

It shoots a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip for varmints and can easily place 3 of those within 3/4" at 100yds. It also moves them at an incredible 2800fps with 50gr of Varget. It's loud but recoil is minimal and muzzle flip is pretty high but manageable.

It's also VERY easy to move around and store "at ready" in the truck which is a PITA with a rifle. Confused

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on if it's a diesel truck or gasoline model.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually use a .458 lott when Im hunting trucks

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
eek2

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a savage 222/20 ga. gets most any cat i run accross and i'm not out to much if it gets stolen

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

You may not feel you out much if that Savage 24 gets swiped, but In 222 and 20 gauge? How about the next time I am back in Minnesota you tell me where you live and I will relieve you of that gun and let me know how many bucks you want me to leave on the glove compartment.

I'd love to get one of those things.

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
I know it's not a varmint rifle, but an SKS with a fixed 4x or 6x scope makes a great truck gun. I won't try anything past about 150 yards, or anything big, but they are fun.
The accuracy level of mine makes me think of a large kill zone.
Jim

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger #3 223 today for that purpose. Not sure yet whether to stay with irons or mount a scope, won't know til I shoot it. I like irons but my eyes aren't getting any better.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Savage 16 All Weather, in .22-250 Rem. as my truck gun. But for some reason
my AR-15 carbine seems to be on the floor behind the seat more than the Savage.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Enfield Jungle Carbine,rechambered in .308.
It is short and very easy to handle.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thunderbolt,

My first truck gun for pds was an AR-15. It worked until I got tired of replacing the rear view mirror and my Brother liked to wear shorts and was screaming all the time when hot brass bounced off the windshield and landed on the seat next to his bare legs. (Didn’t know there were brass catchers at that time)

My next one was a Contender carbine in .223. Worked well but wanted something a little more accurate.

My present drive by gun is a custom barreled CZ-527 in 223. The barrel was cut to 20 inches and contoured to .9 inch at the muzzle.

You didn’t mention what you are going to be shooting? Of the choices you mentioned I am kinda partial to the 25 for deer size game and the 75 grain V-max out of the .257 Bob would be great on varmints. The 6mm has a higher BC varmint bullet (than the 75 gr. 25 cal) but you have to make the call on deer size game if that is one of the things you will use it for. Would choice of bullets available be a consideration in the 6.5??

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a mauser, with a 20 inch heavy sporter barrel in 22/243, or 6mm Rem, or 250 Savage or 257 Roberts.

I don't deer hunt out of my front seat. I do waste varmints out of the front seat with no sense of guilt.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently mine is a Model Seven SS/Syn. 223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I don't deer hunt out of my front seat. I do waste varmints out of the front seat with no sense of guilt.

Well, I guess there is hunting, and "wow,look at
that". And it's only fair to the target to
get the best possible rest, and on my 4x4, that
is the 4x4. All pro shooters I know use a good
rest.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well we don't have trunks in aust. But for the
front pass seat I got a little Zastava 223 mini
mauser syn stock 3x9 Leup. (About the cheapest
and smallest B/A. with very light 20" barrel.
Damn bloody thing groups so well I now look after it like it was a $2000 Sako.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Gotta go with a magnum research lone eagle in .243. next would be my flat top ar with 20 in. heavy barrel and 6-24burris.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote