Find
Notify
Tools

Which state
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok List I have a question.

If I had a motor home, and set out for the west, (to shoot Prairie dogs} and could stay as long as I wanted which state would be best. The hunt/shoot would be unguided and would be at my own pace. I would have some sort of car/truck on behind the motor home for transportation.
All comments/sugestions will be welcome and considered. (I really am thinking about doing this)

Thanks in advance

Hogslayer

Posts: 98 | Location: Elizabeth City,NC usa | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogslayer: I see you will be coming from the east so if I were you I would head NW and hit the Dakotas first and spend plenty of time there then hit eastern Montana on your way to Wyoming. Spend plenty of time there in Wyoming seeing the sights and watching the late spring/early summer afternoon thunderstorms build up and such.
Good luck if you decide to head out!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOUTH DAKOTA !!
South-East of Rapid City along Hwy 44, between Farmingdale and Scenic!
When I was stationed there in the Air Force from 1974 to 1981, this area was open to the public and it's where I hunted pd's the most!
Short term 3-day and 14-day hunting licenses are available at a reasonable price!
Caution: There aren't a lot of them in the area, "but" watch for prairie rattlers!
Remember to take "LOTS" of ammo and have fun!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck

I hunted south of Mobridge in SD last year and had a great time.

Joe

Posts: 98 | Location: Elizabeth City,NC usa | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone out there with more ideas????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd head for the area where SD , ND , MT , and Wy sort of meet up . There is a fair bit of public land around those parts whichever state you decide to roam around in . You don't hear quite as much about it , but ND has a number of 'dogs in the sw area of that state .

Of course , you could bump into good yote hunting anywheres out there . Then , if you got tired of the little rodents, I'd investigate the NW side of the Bighorn range for chucks . Some of that country looks ideal for those .....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDGUNSLINGER

Now your talking my kind of hunting!!!!

Thanks