THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Help me to plan my first PD hunt in the states

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me to plan my first PD hunt in the states
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
Hi folks

I would like plan a long distance PD hunting trip that I have read about so much in the next year or two.

There are lots of questions to the experienced folks like:

Seasons for PD
Suggestion of best location Wyoming, Dakota ?
Pros and cons? Pitfalls

I plan to bring a pair of "switch action"
20 Tactial and 6mmBR

However if ammo is a problem I can build a pair 223 at very short notice.

My impression is a shooting on a PD ranch whereby one shoots from a bench on the rear deck of a Motel ? Is this a realistic picture of what to expect?

What are the average number of shots per average PD day shooting ? I have heard people quoting up to 300 -400 per day.

Is a spotter absolutely necessary ?

I would love to reload ?

Can I buy supplies as a visitor ?

Do I need to be accompanied by a US shooter at all times ?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
londonhunter if you contact heck phillips in holly colorado he knows more about dog shooting then most anyone. when he tells you something you know it comes from doing not talking about it.
his email is heckupdpc@centurytel.net

U.P.D.P.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to contact The Varmint Hunters Association.
http://www.varminthunter.org

They are located in South Dakota. Nice bunch of people. Will be more than happy to answer questions.
Good luck

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
You may also want to contact The Varmint Hunters Association.
http://www.varminthunter.org

They are located in South Dakota. Nice bunch of people. Will be more than happy to answer questions.
Good luck

muck

Ditto thumb

Don

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To summarize: the prairie dog is the tree squirrel of the grasslands. I believe I have heard that in the Brit Isles the gray squirrel is more common than the red, well, here the prairie dog has no trees so it lives in holes in the ground like rats, mice, rabbits, its cousins, all rodents. No bushy tail. Eats grass. Actually aerates the soil and in a few studies the cattle grazing gain more/grow faster on prairie dog ground... Unfortunately the stockmen are slow to learn and have demanded poisoning to exterminate the furball. Fed biologist told me that 90% of the p'dogs that died in the 20th century died of government spread poison. (Rodent, they breed like "rats and mice.")

Since you are "alien" (in legal terms "foreign" means from "another state" within US and "alien" is from outside country) I would inquire of the state "natural resources departments" just to be safe. Most are "wide open" by standards of any other country, but no point in not asking and finding out the hard way. [Some trade agreement only permits Mexicans to pick lettuce... Government never ceases to amaze (and annoy) me.] Assuming you have a valid passport I suspect you can buy ammo (and are over 18 for rifles and 21 for pistols... as a youth I bought anything I wanted any time I wanted... those were the days) but asking to be sure.

TWO BIG WARNINGS: BEWARE!!!: #1). There is "plague" in the furballs. Don't get close or handle pieces. Cousin to bubonic plague. Cureable with antibiotics. Carried by fleas that jump from deceased and cooling bodies to warm bodies. But why bother. Let the scavangers have the pieces. Recycle.
#2)There was a weasel called the Black footed Ferret that was almost extincted by a house cat disease. There are areas that are closed to shooting by Fed regs to support the re introduction of this weasel... Only likes to eat prairie dogs! Make sure you are not shooting there or you might find yourself in striped sunshine... Bad news...

You are looking for "short grass prairie." There are three. Tall grass. Ohio. Indiana. IL. Going west, "mid grass prairie." Iowa. Missouri. Eastern Dakota. Now the exact line moves each year with average rainfall. "Short grass prairie" is the old "cowboy/cattle country" of the westerns (made in California mainly, ha,ha). Texas/Mexico north into Canada. East Slope of the Rocky Mountains. But try to get 1,000 rounds of anything in Mex or Canada or try to bring it in... (ha, ha). Never shot in Oklahoma or Texas but told it is pay to shoot. Land pretty much "spoken for." "Northern Plains" settled much later, much "government land" (no one wants to pay taxes on a mountain top basically or real rough valleys, etc. "The moors" in Sherlock Holmes type fiction.), etc. Eastern Montana. Most of Wyoming. East Colorado. Western Dakotas. West Nebraska. West Kansas. Etc. The old "cattle drive trails" of movies and t.v. (Rawhide, where Clint Eastwood got his start... Lonesome Dove... The movie "Thunderheart" with Val Kilmer was filmed on the Native American Indian Reservations of South Dakota. Plot is a Hollywood hack job of some facts but if you look at the background you will see the land form. Badlands National Park area.)

US government has "grasslands" where the law requires management for multiple uses which includes shooting/hunting for now anyway. SW Kansas, Cimmaron Nat. Grassland, for example... Often one use is renting to pasture users--i.e. "grazing." This area cows mainly. Rarely sheep. Many, many wild dogs, "coyotes," that will kill sheep. SW corner South Dakota (SD) "Buffalo Gap Nat. Grasslands." These are open to anyone for anything legal. Not a good place to be alone with a break down so I cannot recommend you start here. You might find yourself 150 miles from a McDonalds (the hamburger joint, not the Scot family and it members, ha, ha...)

As the government took the last of the land away from control of the last of the "wild" Native Americans, they were forced onto reservations. The only "indian war" the U.S. Army lost was to Red Cloud, Chief, Lakota Indians, better known as "Sioux." He fought over the Bozeman Trail [(to Bozeman Montana)... typical government... they sent diplomats to get permission at the same time they sent soldiers/contractors to build the forts along the trail they didn't have permission for yet...]. I was told by resident of SD that the more educated Sioux were settled from east to West. In SD (South Dakota) that meant the Rosebud got the "indians" who knew what was good for them while the ones that tried to stay "wild" [with Crazy Horse as a "war leader" but he was never a "chief"] had to be starved into submission and ended up on the most western reservation, the Pine Ridge. SW SD.

O.K. the Native Americans "market." [Fuss among themselves like a herd of Chicago Democrats--don't get me started, Capone who was Italian/Sicilian vs. Obanion, Irish -- all criminals... Not to mention the "bought" politicians of all flavors] I had a fed tell me that while one group of "injuns" was seeking money to help build the business of hunting/shooting p'dogs another group was seeking money to "kill them all" to make for better pastures... Valentine, NE is just south of the Rosebud and home of "Lock, Stock and Barrel," a gun supply store... might want to google them.

By name so you can do your research with google or ??? South center SD, Rosebud Reservation (Rez as spoken by Natives). I believe I first got their name from Bruce Hodgdon Sr, now gone--yes, Hodgdon powder Co. Many years ago. Due north around Pierre SD, Lower Brule Sioux. Farther north, Northern Cheyenne Rez / Standing Rock Rez. Eagle Butte, SD has been a center of shooting. South West corner, SD, the Pine Ridge Rez. [They have a drinking problem covered in the newspapers. Still grieving Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull? One inet business, lakotamall.com. I believe there is a couple guides available there.]

Farther north, North Dakota (surprise), In the west a former president, Theodore Roosevelt, lived and worked cattle and recovered from the death of a wife... and now there is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park and grasslands. Beautiful country. Cooler at night. Something to think about. Fort Yates is another town to think of.

Outside SD and the VHA (Varmint hunters Assoc. mentioned prior--varminthunters.org I think) there is very little well organized. Most big game guides will find you shooting until your ammo runs out after you fill a big game tag. Some offer p'dog shooting separately. One example [disclosure, his grandfather was an armey buddy of my grandfather, WW I, yes I] Ron Scherbarth, Rocking Heart Ranch. Big game guide and passable taxidermist.

MOntana, nothing organized. Shooting around Zortman was widely discussed. I believe you ended up on the Fort Belnap Rez. (Blackfoot Indians?)

Colorado. Here the US government has taken up much space for army bases... Brought along a bunch of tree huggers and bunny lovers. One tv special showed "catch and release" of prairie dogs! [That is like "catch and release of mice in your basement. To me... DUMB!!!) Plenty of p'dogs. Ask in the small towns or farm stores. Find the people that don't think of them as pets. I have had them in my lap. They are loveable little rats, not that little for rats. Fed them peanuts. Tourist trap. They ran my fingers with their teeth until they found the peanut and then bit... Amazing.

West Kansas. More of the same. Grazing. Rural Welcome (open arms). Cimmaron web site has a "please don't shoot the p'dogs" notice on it, but request, not order.

Wyoming is my favorite. I have relatives near. Wide open. Cattle is second to "oil." No license or permit required for US citizens anyway. (Like I said "ask.") Thunder Basic National Grassland between Douglas Wyoming and New Castle Wyoming supposedly had a p'dog town that was 26 miles in diameter. There is plenty of shooting in the Cheyenne, Wyo area, but also, as seat of government, more bunny huggers ...

Since I have family in the Wyo/SD/NE area that is where I go. Never got to Montana. Ran out of ammo. (Reloads). SD and NE will want "non resident license fees." I'm cheap. Drive a few miles and shoot without any. I have composed this deliberately using all the names with which I am familiar so you can search much and enjoy the "dicovery." Spotter? Not needed. (Purpose is that you take turns and let one gun cool while spotting!!! Otherwise a barrel won't last a day...) Shots. You may hear of 1,000 round days per shooter. Possible? Yes. Recently? No. There has been a 10 year drought that cuts way down on the grass available and inspires more poisoning. Things should build back fast, but things slower now. .223 is good. I have made 600 yard hits. No, I did not say on the first shot. Black Hills Ammo is in Rapid City, SD, fyi. Sells reloaded mil. cases less expensive. No idea about importing guns or ammo. Some guides can set you up with a bench, press, tools. Have to ask. I am a bit winded. ENJOY. Luck. Happy trails.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
iirange

great info. I was (not many left) a woodchuck hunter in upstate ny, haven't gone in years. I was absolutely amazed when I went up to Devils Tower in Wy. There's a PD village on the way up to the rock. Never saw anything like it.

Rich

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
iirange

great info. I was (not many left) a woodchuck hunter in upstate ny, haven't gone in years. I was absolutely amazed when I went up to Devils Tower in Wy. There's a PD village on the way up to the rock. Never saw anything like it.

Rich

I’ve heard them called colonies and towns but I can’t say that I’ve heard them called a village very often. Big Grin It’s cute but “Village” just sounds to peaceful for as tasty as they can be to each other.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No disrespect to Mr. Richj intended, he is right about Devil's tower, but a national land mark and I never got that far north. It is north of Thunder Basin in Wyo that I mentioned. I believe the contact was the BLM office in Douglas, Wyo. USA.

I would not be afraid to fly into Rapid City, South Dakota, rent a car and just drive into Wyo. It would be a bit adventuresome and breakdowns a pain, but if you are "judicious." How do you want to "learn about the colonies?" (ha, ha). And the great American West? Sorry, Buffalo Bill is gone. His last "digs" were around North Platte Nebraska, SW of state.

Luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As you will be a stranger to our country , I'd recommend you hire one of the gude services to show you around , line up properties to shoot on , provide vehicles , etc. You are already going to spend a good deal of time and money just getting here . One that has a good rep is ....

http://www.jimriverguideservic...airiedoghunting.html

There are of course other good ones , and in Wyoming and Montana as well . A good place to find some more info on guides would be the varmint board at www.predatormasters.com .

No , it is not hardly typical to set up and shoot off the backside of the motel.....it is a good deal more complicated than that .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
To summarize: the prairie dog is the tree squirrel of the grasslands. I believe I have heard that in the Brit Isles the gray squirrel is more common than the red, well, here the prairie dog has no trees so it lives in holes in the ground like rats, mice, rabbits, its cousins, all rodents. No bushy tail. Eats grass. Actually aerates the soil and in a few studies the cattle grazing gain more/grow faster on prairie dog ground... Unfortunately the stockmen are slow to learn and have demanded poisoning to exterminate the furball. Fed biologist told me that 90% of the p'dogs that died in the 20th century died of government spread poison. (Rodent, they breed like "rats and mice.")

Since you are "alien" (in legal terms "foreign" means from "another state" within US and "alien" is from outside country) I would inquire of the state "natural resources departments" just to be safe. Most are "wide open" by standards of any other country, but no point in not asking and finding out the hard way. [Some trade agreement only permits Mexicans to pick lettuce... Government never ceases to amaze (and annoy) me.] Assuming you have a valid passport I suspect you can buy ammo (and are over 18 for rifles and 21 for pistols... as a youth I bought anything I wanted any time I wanted... those were the days) but asking to be sure.

TWO BIG WARNINGS: BEWARE!!!: #1). There is "plague" in the furballs. Don't get close or handle pieces. Cousin to bubonic plague. Cureable with antibiotics. Carried by fleas that jump from deceased and cooling bodies to warm bodies. But why bother. Let the scavangers have the pieces. Recycle.
#2)There was a weasel called the Black footed Ferret that was almost extincted by a house cat disease. There are areas that are closed to shooting by Fed regs to support the re introduction of this weasel... Only likes to eat prairie dogs! Make sure you are not shooting there or you might find yourself in striped sunshine... Bad news...

You are looking for "short grass prairie." There are three. Tall grass. Ohio. Indiana. IL. Going west, "mid grass prairie." Iowa. Missouri. Eastern Dakota. Now the exact line moves each year with average rainfall. "Short grass prairie" is the old "cowboy/cattle country" of the westerns (made in California mainly, ha,ha). Texas/Mexico north into Canada. East Slope of the Rocky Mountains. But try to get 1,000 rounds of anything in Mex or Canada or try to bring it in... (ha, ha). Never shot in Oklahoma or Texas but told it is pay to shoot. Land pretty much "spoken for." "Northern Plains" settled much later, much "government land" (no one wants to pay taxes on a mountain top basically or real rough valleys, etc. "The moors" in Sherlock Holmes type fiction.), etc. Eastern Montana. Most of Wyoming. East Colorado. Western Dakotas. West Nebraska. West Kansas. Etc. The old "cattle drive trails" of movies and t.v. (Rawhide, where Clint Eastwood got his start... Lonesome Dove... The movie "Thunderheart" with Val Kilmer was filmed on the Native American Indian Reservations of South Dakota. Plot is a Hollywood hack job of some facts but if you look at the background you will see the land form. Badlands National Park area.)

US government has "grasslands" where the law requires management for multiple uses which includes shooting/hunting for now anyway. SW Kansas, Cimmaron Nat. Grassland, for example... Often one use is renting to pasture users--i.e. "grazing." This area cows mainly. Rarely sheep. Many, many wild dogs, "coyotes," that will kill sheep. SW corner South Dakota (SD) "Buffalo Gap Nat. Grasslands." These are open to anyone for anything legal. Not a good place to be alone with a break down so I cannot recommend you start here. You might find yourself 150 miles from a McDonalds (the hamburger joint, not the Scot family and it members, ha, ha...)

As the government took the last of the land away from control of the last of the "wild" Native Americans, they were forced onto reservations. The only "indian war" the U.S. Army lost was to Red Cloud, Chief, Lakota Indians, better known as "Sioux." He fought over the Bozeman Trail [(to Bozeman Montana)... typical government... they sent diplomats to get permission at the same time they sent soldiers/contractors to build the forts along the trail they didn't have permission for yet...]. I was told by resident of SD that the more educated Sioux were settled from east to West. In SD (South Dakota) that meant the Rosebud got the "indians" who knew what was good for them while the ones that tried to stay "wild" [with Crazy Horse as a "war leader" but he was never a "chief"] had to be starved into submission and ended up on the most western reservation, the Pine Ridge. SW SD.

O.K. the Native Americans "market." [Fuss among themselves like a herd of Chicago Democrats--don't get me started, Capone who was Italian/Sicilian vs. Obanion, Irish -- all criminals... Not to mention the "bought" politicians of all flavors] I had a fed tell me that while one group of "injuns" was seeking money to help build the business of hunting/shooting p'dogs another group was seeking money to "kill them all" to make for better pastures... Valentine, NE is just south of the Rosebud and home of "Lock, Stock and Barrel," a gun supply store... might want to google them.

By name so you can do your research with google or ??? South center SD, Rosebud Reservation (Rez as spoken by Natives). I believe I first got their name from Bruce Hodgdon Sr, now gone--yes, Hodgdon powder Co. Many years ago. Due north around Pierre SD, Lower Brule Sioux. Farther north, Northern Cheyenne Rez / Standing Rock Rez. Eagle Butte, SD has been a center of shooting. South West corner, SD, the Pine Ridge Rez. [They have a drinking problem covered in the newspapers. Still grieving Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull? One inet business, lakotamall.com. I believe there is a couple guides available there.]

Farther north, North Dakota (surprise), In the west a former president, Theodore Roosevelt, lived and worked cattle and recovered from the death of a wife... and now there is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park and grasslands. Beautiful country. Cooler at night. Something to think about. Fort Yates is another town to think of.

Outside SD and the VHA (Varmint hunters Assoc. mentioned prior--varminthunters.org I think) there is very little well organized. Most big game guides will find you shooting until your ammo runs out after you fill a big game tag. Some offer p'dog shooting separately. One example [disclosure, his grandfather was an armey buddy of my grandfather, WW I, yes I] Ron Scherbarth, Rocking Heart Ranch. Big game guide and passable taxidermist.

MOntana, nothing organized. Shooting around Zortman was widely discussed. I believe you ended up on the Fort Belnap Rez. (Blackfoot Indians?)

Colorado. Here the US government has taken up much space for army bases... Brought along a bunch of tree huggers and bunny lovers. One tv special showed "catch and release" of prairie dogs! [That is like "catch and release of mice in your basement. To me... DUMB!!!) Plenty of p'dogs. Ask in the small towns or farm stores. Find the people that don't think of them as pets. I have had them in my lap. They are loveable little rats, not that little for rats. Fed them peanuts. Tourist trap. They ran my fingers with their teeth until they found the peanut and then bit... Amazing.

West Kansas. More of the same. Grazing. Rural Welcome (open arms). Cimmaron web site has a "please don't shoot the p'dogs" notice on it, but request, not order.

Wyoming is my favorite. I have relatives near. Wide open. Cattle is second to "oil." No license or permit required for US citizens anyway. (Like I said "ask.") Thunder Basic National Grassland between Douglas Wyoming and New Castle Wyoming supposedly had a p'dog town that was 26 miles in diameter. There is plenty of shooting in the Cheyenne, Wyo area, but also, as seat of government, more bunny huggers ...

Since I have family in the Wyo/SD/NE area that is where I go. Never got to Montana. Ran out of ammo. (Reloads). SD and NE will want "non resident license fees." I'm cheap. Drive a few miles and shoot without any. I have composed this deliberately using all the names with which I am familiar so you can search much and enjoy the "dicovery." Spotter? Not needed. (Purpose is that you take turns and let one gun cool while spotting!!! Otherwise a barrel won't last a day...) Shots. You may hear of 1,000 round days per shooter. Possible? Yes. Recently? No. There has been a 10 year drought that cuts way down on the grass available and inspires more poisoning. Things should build back fast, but things slower now. .223 is good. I have made 600 yard hits. No, I did not say on the first shot. Black Hills Ammo is in Rapid City, SD, fyi. Sells reloaded mil. cases less expensive. No idea about importing guns or ammo. Some guides can set you up with a bench, press, tools. Have to ask. I am a bit winded. ENJOY. Luck. Happy trails.

Magnificent posting!!!!! thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt every year in pretty decent prairie dog towns. My buddy and i take turns shooting and we figure 200 rds. per day, it is possible to shoot more, especially if you're missing dogs at long range. Due to the fact that you can't bring enough ammo with you I would suggest the .223 option that you mentioned. I would suggest contacting Black Hills Ammunition co. well in advance and arrange to pick up your ammo at a retail location. Currently there is an ammo shortage in the U. S. but I don't expect it to last very long, should be eased up by next year. Bring a good set of binoculars, if you could find someone that wanted to come also that would be good. Good luck.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple pals that go to Rosebud every year and have a great time. They stay at the casino and gamble when they are not shooting. They meet their guide the first day and usually that is the last they see him. They get a lot of shooting with 22/250 rifles for the long ones and 17 calibers for the close ones. They are going to take AR types in 204 for the next trip. I gotta go with them one year!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Again thank you folks for the wealth of information. I have just received an email from a fellow shooter in England. I dont know him previoulsy but he told me that Walt Berger is arrnaging a PD for English shooters in the near future in the states !

That should be interesting. A bunch of englishman galavanting all over wyooming with rifles with funnny accents and Bowler hats ............

If you spot us do drop in for a cup of tea boys..........

thank you again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Don... iir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benjamin,where in US do you want to hunt?friends just got back from Oklahoma&have contacts there.E-M me.BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome to our country loundonhunter. I have Hunted the rosebud reservation a few times and I do recommend it. If walt berger is arranging a hunt in the states he can no doubt set you up with plenty of ammo. If you already have a pair of the switch barrel rifles those calibers will serve you well, It helps spotting your shots if your rifles are on the heavy side. I always add a pound of lead under the actions of my PD guns. If you want any Information from the VHA I can probably help you I am a Member.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Hi folks

I would like plan a long distance PD hunting trip that I have read about so much in the next year or two.

There are lots of questions to the experienced folks like:

Seasons for PD
Suggestion of best location Wyoming, Dakota ?
Pros and cons? Pitfalls

I plan to bring a pair of "switch action"
20 Tactial and 6mmBR

However if ammo is a problem I can build a pair 223 at very short notice.

My impression is a shooting on a PD ranch whereby one shoots from a bench on the rear deck of a Motel ? Is this a realistic picture of what to expect?

What are the average number of shots per average PD day shooting ? I have heard people quoting up to 300 -400 per day.

Is a spotter absolutely necessary ?

I would love to reload ?

Can I buy supplies as a visitor ?

Do I need to be accompanied by a US shooter at all times ?

Thanks in advance

Track and Trap Maine Hunting Guide
This guy thought me how to trap and is a beaver trapper, and bear trapper and hunting guide. Worth every penny! He is worth the contact. Some of the area out this way he can get you in is worth the trip from anywhere you live Wink beer best of luck.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"O Deos Immortales!" Maine! The man asked about prairie dogs. That is a rodent of the western states--"short grass prairie." West of the Mississippi river! Maine! Might be a worthy businessman but for prairie dogs... NO! NO! NO! About 2,000 miles too far east! -!!- Maybe someone has been hitting that acorn beer the Pilgrims used to make...

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
"O Deos Immortales!" Maine! The man asked about prairie dogs. That is a rodent of the western states--"short grass prairie." West of the Mississippi river! Maine! Might be a worthy businessman but for prairie dogs... NO! NO! NO! About 2,000 miles too far east! -!!- Maybe someone has been hitting that acorn beer the Pilgrims used to make...

LOL I was unsure what he ment by PD, so I thought I d toss that out there and see if I d get any bites. although I didnt think I d be imbarriced afterword. :P

When I lived on fort carson in the army, I had co workers who did that stuff. sure wish i did it now. missed out on a chance I may never get again.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased this e-book from Brandon and was amazed at the amount of info in it, Ultimate PD Hunting Guide.

I too am planning my first hunt and found a lot of info in this 60 page book very useful, info on gear, accessories, landowners (with phone numbers), maps, license info, Indian Reservation hunting and a lot more. It would be worth it just for the read. It's a download so you don't have to wait for shipping to England.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote