New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 long rifle
 Login/Join

<Mike Anderson>
posted
The 17 long rifle rimfire, a 22 necked down. Has this been made or is it being made to anyone's knowledge.

It should yield good results with the 25 grain bullet and be much cheaper to shoot than the 17 hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I was going to start a topic just like this.

The round might also have the advantage of being much safer to shoot in the air at stuff in trees. This is why I favor the 177 air rifle around the house.

I bet it can be done. If it's done right it might generate way more business than the WSM's or 17 HMR.

Good idea.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a thread on the rimfire forum regarding this. A company in Cuernavaca, Mexico is supposedly making this called the 17 Aguile (sp?). It features a 20 gr bullet at 1850 fps. I think they have had some management changes at the factory in Mexico which delayed the importation but were supposed to be available last year. A switch bbl 10/22 should work.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still, it wouldn't come anywhere near rivalling the .17 HMR. It's slower, has a worse trajectory, and less powerful. With the following the HMR has developed, the fact that Hornady is finally catching up production (actually on shelves up here in the middle of MN!), the fact Rem and CCI are now offering .17 HMR ammo as well, and the accuracy it's shown from almost all rifles it's chambered in, Aguila has no chance of matching that.

Besides, Aguila claimed it would release these in 2000-2001. They still haven't gotten any on the market to this day! And everyone thought it was hard finding HMR ammo when it came out!

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard, the barrel is available from Aguilla for the 10/22. Ammunition is supposed to be out around the middle to end of summer. I heard this from the local gun shop last night, though nothing concrete.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote