THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bi-Pod, Sandbag, or Front Rest??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bi-Pod, Sandbag, or Front Rest??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering what you use (and why?) off a bench for Prairie Dog shooting.

I use a bipod for my 204 and 223cal H-Bar, but a front rest for my 7mm Rem Mag....all using a rear sand bag as well.

I am thinking of getting rid of the bipods and only use the front rest, since the bipod guns seemed to jump or bounce on firing. It also seemed easier to level the reticle when going from one target to the next.

What are your thoughts??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I use one of these:

Caldwell Tack Driver

Had it for about 8 years. Just about ZERO recoil even from a .338WM. Several other makers, Bulls Bags , etc are virtually the same thing. Buy it filled (if you aren't going to have to pay for shipping)

I used about $12 of dried barley from the bulk section to fill mine. Has a consistent texture. Rice is ok, too but it draws moisture worse than dried barley does. Don't use sand.

Almost forgot "Why do I use it?"

Never found a firearm that didn't fit it well. Bi-pods work in situations were you have to be mobile. Shooting sticks work as well or better than Bi-pods in that situation and pods and sticks are both lighter than a bag. Mine weighs 25 lbs filled.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering what you use (and why?) off a bench for Prairie Dog shooting.

How many benchrest target shooters have you seen using a bipod?

Sandbags are the preferred rest. If you need to save weight, then filling "sandbags" with whole grain, ground corncob like used in tumblers, dense poly beads, or some similar lightweight media will do about as well.

You'll shoot much more accurately with your rifle supported both front and rear, not just in the middle as with a "bull's bag" or something similar -- but the "bull's bag" is probably superior to a bipod, anyway.

I use a couple of different devices, depending on the circumstances. For instance, a simple 1x4 board of about 30" length (or whatever protrudes from the rear of the bench an adequate amount) attached at a single point at the front of the bench which allows it to swivel will provide an instantly adjustable (horizontally) platform for both your front and rear bags. This allows you to rotate for targets within about a 60-90 degree range, or 30 to 45 degrees each way from the direction the bench is facing. Very little change in elevation is usually needed in typically flat prairie dog towns, so you adjust elevation mostly by squeezing the rear bag under the toe of the stock or sliding the rifle fore-aft a bit to raise and lower the muzzle.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I use a Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest. I find the height adjustment feature useful when changing your shooting angle for up or downhill shots. Using a fixed height sandbag caused me to have to raise and lower the rear of the rifle where I was not comfortable with the steadiness of the hold. Using the Rock Jr, and adjusting the height up and down as needed lets me use a rear bag all of the time for a steady hold.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like stonecreek said - i use a little tripod stool,, an ironing board and a couple 25# shot bags filled with styrafoam beads

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This mobile set-up can be effective on easy ground

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Front rest and rear bag from a portable bench/table etc. is my favorite method.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up in N.D. and shooting PD's most of my years there, bipods were by far our most favorite way to go. Light and very portable, especially when bushwacking over the hills, which makes for a fun hunt. If shooting a .204 or .223, use a solid non-pivoting pod. You will be able to maintain a sight picture with them. Not so with the pivoting pods.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KT29:
Growing up in N.D. and shooting PD's most of my years there, bipods were by far our most favorite way to go. Light and very portable, especially when bushwacking over the hills, which makes for a fun hunt. If shooting a .204 or .223, use a solid non-pivoting pod. You will be able to maintain a sight picture with them. Not so with the pivoting pods.

+1

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote