THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Surprise Valley Squirrel Roundup

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Valley Squirrel Roundup
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody else going? I went and bought ammo last night for the 22 and the 223. Already have 330rds. for the 17hmr and we're taking the 257 rob ai and 243 as well. Smiler Just thought there might be another AR member going.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Our group will be heading up April 1-4. We prefer to go after the war; we practically have the whole valley to ourselves. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Dago red and Dr. Lou,

Please excuse the interuption - I hunt cal ground sq's in the southern partr of the valley - Miracopia area when I'm not in MT - I have a question - do you guys know of the Antelope Ground Sq? A Ranger told me it was protected - True? (I've seen quite a few of them - shot at none of them - very small)
Regards,
Tom

Posts: 6 | Location: CA and MT | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think varmint al goes as well.. I tried to get info on it for the last couple of years but the chamber of commerce up there is only open a few days a week and they never seen to contact me in time with the dates or the list... Good Luck and have a great time.....

Big Fish Happen...
Courtest BAS

posted Hide Post
My son and I were shooting ground squirels in Ft. Bidwell and we had a great time. I took two 17 HMR rifles and one 223 rifle. My Swift Scope on my .223 tunred hazy on me so we were limited with the 17 HMR rifles. We put to rest over 100 squirrels using our 17's and the 17 HMR round is an awesome little round. We plan to make this a yearly event. By the way, I did send my Swift Scope back to Swift Optics and they will replace the scope with a new scope. Swift Optics customer service was excellent! I will be buying another scope from them with a Mil-Dot reticle.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tommydonnelly:
Hello Dago red and Dr. Lou,

Please excuse the interuption - I hunt cal ground sq's in the southern partr of the valley - Miracopia area when I'm not in MT - I have a question - do you guys know of the Antelope Ground Sq? A Ranger told me it was protected - True? (I've seen quite a few of them - shot at none of them - very small)
Regards,
Tom

Tom, there are a couple of ground squirrel species that are protected in California. There is the antelope ground squirrel in the mid-valley, there is a variety in the south western valley out by Fellows and Taft and there is also the Mojave ground squirrel out by Boron and the Mojave desert area. Most of the species have very specific geographic boundaries so it pays to look for this when you go into any new areas to shoot.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote