Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12bvss?
 Login/Join

posted
What do you all know about this gun? I have heard great things but I am new and am not sure about this as an option?

10 lbs. seems like a lot in a coyote/cat rifle???

Thanks

Posts: 21 | Location: NC | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one in 22-250. Inch and a quarter groups at 300 yards.

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure that you are going to get a ton of different opinions on this as well, but I will toss mine in the mix.
I think that a ten pound rifle is an abomination,, unless you laying over a bench shooting paper or prairie dogs.
I also think that those little whippy barreled model 7's are a pain in the rear to hold steady on a coyote standing facing you at a few hundred yards.
So personally I prefer what could be calleda light sporter weight rifle for varmint calling.
At 7 to 8 pounds and enough barrel length and weight to let it hang in my sticks, it is also handy enough to spin around and whack a runner that got a sniff of my armpits.

I have hunted with a lot of guys with the latest and greatest heavy barreled prairie dog rig on a bipod and a 12 power scope with an infintesimal dot reticle to know that when the killin needs to be done they are not the rig to have.
I can ease my svelte 22" barreled 243 up on my sticks and while looking through my 3x9 turned down to no more than 6 power and put a hole through yonder dog while they are still getting themselves untangled.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 10# gun seemed like a lot to me. I'm no wimp but if I am going to be walking a lot it seems like 10# may get heavy.

posted Hide Post
Is the Modle 12bvss/low pro. to heavy for a calling rifle? would you prefer the 12fvss?

the 12bvss/low pro. weigh 10#

12fvss weighs 8.5#

I dislike the composite stock and love the wood but the wood seems like it would be to heavy as a calling rifle...

Frustated... Suggestions!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addicted,
What is the old platitude,,, "Rome wasn't built in a day. Your varmint hunting career won't be established in a day or a season. Don't get in a hurry and don't get discouraged or frustrated. With all the TV shows, internet forums, and magazines, it can get confusing. Plus plunking down good money for a rifle, scope, ammo, reloading equipment, game caller etc can be a substantial investment. Take a little time to decide what type of hunting you will be doing. If you are going to be sitting at a bench shooting chucks or praire dogs at distances to 600 yds and beyond and make multiple shots, a heavy barrelled bench type rifle makes sense. If you are going to be making 2 or more stands in a morning or afternoon session and be carrying a stool, backpack, game caller binocs, water, pistol etc, and maybe making 2 or 3 shots in a day, a 5 to 7 lb rifle with a wispy barrel rifle makes sense.

How is the country you are hunting in, if its rough and dusty and every bush has stickers and rocks grow like living things, like the texas hill country, a synthetic stock and stainless barrell and action make sense.
I suggest going to a big box retailer and fondle some rifles to see what excites you, then stop and reflect on what best suits your needs versus what turns you on. You may end up purchasing several rifles over a period of time, each one to fill a niche.

A personal example. One of my first varmint rifles was a Savage 112 FV chambered in 22-250. I took it out of a perfectly good synthetic stock and fitted it in a Choate Ulimate sniper stock (I think its called). Purchased a Tasco world class II 10 x 40 scope to go on it. It will shoot one hole at 100 yds. using hornady 40 gr. v-maxes. Probably weighes 12 to 14 lbs. Great for punching itty bitty groups in a piece of paper at 100 yds. I haven't picked it up in probably 10 years. Sits in the closet. Thinking about putting it on gunbroker.

On the lighter side,check out a Savage model 10 predator in 223. Or look a remington model 7 predator, or 700 lvss. CZ makes fine shooting rifles, if you can get past the clip hanging down in front of the trigger guard. Tikka's are also accurate. Browning micro hunters are also nice if you can find one in a oil finish rather than acrylic laquer.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI have a 12BVSS and for me it is not what I want in a walk about rifle.
Big GrinThe repeatability is great but FrownerI did have to send it back to the factory to repair a faulty Accutrigger.

For rifles to carry I have a 22-250 and a .223 in the Stevens Mod.200 and a CZ 527 in .222. All three are good but the CZ has the edge because of it's nice trigger.

My Rugers #1 .223 and Varmint 77, MkII in .243 are great on the bench but also to heavey to carry. A bull barreled custom Mauser 22-250 also falls into this catagory.
coffeeIf you're going to just punch a lot of paper and shoot rodents from a stand the 12BVSS is a good bet.If you are a stalker walker try someting lighter.JMHO beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you've solved this yet, but I have it in 22-250. Have friends with it in 223 and 22-250. All shoot exceptionally well for a factory gun. Not a good carry rifle unless you're He-Man. If yer after a good walking gun, you may want something a bit lighter. Like say a Tikka T3 Hunter in 22-250 or something like that, as others have suggested. The T3 is light, has a really nice trigger and will shoot great right out of the box.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have one, it is a stationary varminter...

instead check out one of Savage's Predator models if you want to be mobile...

you should find its weight a lot more appealing and it is really a very nice package...

if you don't like the camo on it...
consider a plain old Savage 16 stainless or one of the Model 10 or Model 11 platforms in the caliber of your choice...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My bvss is a bench gun. Targets and prairie dogs (oops, same thing!).

I wouldn't choose the fvss for a carry gun either. The balance is "all wrong" on that gun. Pulls up and shoulders funny, too nose heavy.

My carry gun for walking around is my stevens 200 in 223 with a nikon 3x9 scope. I had to work over the trigger, and it's accurate, cheap and light weight. I may put a SSS trigger in it someday, but it works for now.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Since 99% of the time that I'm hunting coyotes, I'm stationary, in a blind or the back of the pickup a heavier rifle, like my 12FLV isn't a problem.... I have a Rem 700BDL 22" barrel and synthetic stock if I have to do any walking, since I'm disabled and can't walk alot, that's not much of a problem either. lol.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 savage 12's. A VLP and a BTVSS. Awesome units for paper and grass maggots on a bench. I have used them as a carry rifle for yotes, but since picking up a T3 lite which feels nicely balanced, I have no desire to haul around my 10lb target rifles.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Like the rest above, I have a FVSS that I use for stationary work and something else for a carry gun.

The FVSS like the ones above is a shooter though. Guns that shoot that good are worth the trouble.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
For rifles to carry I have a 22-250 and a .223 in the Stevens Mod.200 and a CZ 527 in .222.
All three are good but the CZ has the edge because of it's nice trigger.
+1 CZ527 thumb

Roger is right, this gun just flat shoots!

My CZ527 Varmint .223 weighs 9 1/4 lbs with 5 rounds, Boonie Packer sling and 6X18X44AO Swift Premium scope.
Not something to pack for miles, but not too terrible either.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage is the rifle of choice. At last year's Varmint Hunter's Jamboree Savage was 90% of the field. Not ONE CZ to be found ANYWHERE! The other 10% were Remington or custom.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote