New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Remington: Still Used?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the .222 Remington used much for varminting? I don't see many references to it so I'm guessing it's not encountered much. Looks like the .204 Ruger on one side and the .223 Remington on the other side of the .222 Remington?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use my two though I do use my rifles in .223 Remington more. One is a Sako L46 topped with a 12X Unertl; the other is a Remington 722 topped with a Weaver K10. Both are deadly accurate. I have no experience with the .204 Ruger.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Yep, a Sako A1 in .222 Rem with a 3-9x Leopold.
Superbly accurate and a delight to shoot.
No way I'm trading for any .223 or .204 even though it does seem to be on decline in popularity.
Just because it is not as popular anymore dosn't mean it aint good....

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I prefer my .222 Remingtons to any other cartridge for shooting ground squirrels. Matter of fact I'm gonna build another.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have a CZ 527 varmint in .222 love it to bits! mine shoots flatter and smaller groups than my mates .223 tikka varmint ( both use home loads with 50gr Vmax and Vit N133 powder) Here in N.Ireland .222 is the max we are aloud to use for fox control.

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between a 223 Remington and a 222 Remington, I would choose the 222. I've used mine on animals from rabbits to deer and so far all have been one shot kills. In my opinion, the logical step up from a 222 is a 22-250 and not a 223. The only advantage I see for a 223 is the availability of cheap military surplus ammo.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only by those in the Know! It's been taken over by the 223 with it's cheap brass and ammo. However, there isn't anything wrong with it and it is one of these finest cartridges ever produced. Think about the spawn off from this basic case, some smaller, some longer but still based around this case or a variant.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 8 rifles in what I consider varmint calibers (17-25cal) ,two of them are 222's and they are the ones I use the most. I don't own a 223 and at this point, other than just to have another rifle, I don't really want or need a 223.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is obsolete as long as some of us are enjoying it.

I've currently got an LVSF at the 'smith's being rechambered into a 222 Rem Mag. Why not?

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13208
The late great:
Gale McMillan
Posted: 01-09-2000
quote:

The smallest group at 100 yds ever fired in competition and holds a world record for 20 years is held by a 222. The group is .009 center to center.. If you are ever in Phoenix drop by as we have the target and rifle on display in the shop.

What Gale did not say was that the 6mmPPC [ with less intrinsic accuracy] can beat the .222 at 200 yards in the wind, and so took benchrest away from the 222.

The .222 tight neck does not burn out barrels.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Bulwyf,

222 is all I use for varminting. Everything from mice to Goats.

50 gr Remingtons for bigger stuff, 50 gr TNTs or SPSX for small and 24gr of Benchmark does it all.

You can't go wrong with the 222 for small stuff.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a tricked out 722 in a deuce that loves the 52 and 53g Sierra Matchkings. I use 21.5g of IMR 4198 for the above loads in Rem. brass and small primers. This is my do all load and it'll blow the crap outa Montana gophers. The 53g TSX'S are accurate in my rifle as well with the above load.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf: I have a bunch of 222's that are "still used" for Varminting!
All are splendidly accurate and with todays bullets, Varmints are not safe from me - even out to 400 yards (yep they are VERY capable of 400 yard kills on all manner of Varmints).
I have TWO Remington 700 Classics in 222 and both are amazingly accurate for "sporter weight" type Rifles. The reason I have two Classics in 222 Remington is because the first one I bought was so accurate I thought it had to be a fluke of some kind! And when I came across another for sale I had to "try it"! It comes within a gnats eyelash of being as accurate as the first!
So I kept them both. The VarmintSons especially enjoy shooting these Rifles.
I also have an early 1980's vintage Remington 700 Varminter that constantly amazes with its accuracy!
My Sako L46 in 222 Remington is in absolute MINT condition even though it still goes on its share of Varmint Safaris and its just a classy looking rig with a "period" Leupold 8 power "Westerner" scope on it.
But my all time favorite 222 is my Remington 40 XB-BR! This all factory stock and very heavy Rifle has shot many groups in the 1's and is a joy to use in a Prairie Dog Town or a Ground Squirrel Colony!
There ARE calibers and cartridges "on both sides" of the 222 but I have no plans to replace any of my 222 Varminters! They perform!
Long live the "deuce"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello VarmintGuy,

I don't know much about the Remington 40 series of rifles. Is your 40 XB-BR the wood stock, single shot model?

B

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf: Yes my 40X in 222 is an older model with the wood stock and the 20" barrel (extra heavy) option (the other choice in this model was a 24" barrel in a slimmer profile). It has the 2 ounce trigger option as well and yes it is a single shot.
With a Leupold 24 power scope it weighs 11 pounds 7 ounces.
It shoots the Berger 52's and the Sierra 52's about equally well (splendidly!). But I only use the Berger 52's for Varminting as the Sierras are to prone to ricochet as they are hard as nails!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Jon H.
posted Hide Post
Couple of years ago, I went to a friends shop for a varmint rig. He sold me on a Savage 340, in .222 and I never looked back. In fact, it impressed my wife so much, she snatched up another Mod 340 when she found it. Also in .222Rem.
I've owned .223s and I wouldn't think of getting rid of my triple duece in exchange for any other varmint cartridge,
Jon H

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Posts: 14 | Location: somewhere in Arizona.... | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 722 in 222 That I bought off my uncle in 85. I bet I've fired close to 10k rounds thru it and it still shoots .75"@100yds. Its been to South Dakota 3 times and has killed everything here in Pa from rats to yotes. Love it dearly.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I bought my first deuce just about a year ago and my only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner. It's a Cooper M21 Varminter that will shoot in the .3's and .4's all day with the occasional group in the .1's with just about any 50gr bullet over a near-max charge of Benchmark. I will say however, the .222 is probably a handloader's cartridge and one for those of us who prefer something a little less main stream.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about the 222 Rem. It still does today the same thing it did when it was introduced, only with better components.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The relative scarcity of the .222 is a result of very few rifles being currently chambered for it. After all, most people would rather purchase the much more common .223 these days, so you can't blame the rifle manufacturers.

As others have said, if you have a .222 it is still an outstanding varminter. I have three virtually identical Sako sporters in .222, .223, and .222 Magnum. All are wonderfully accurate little guns, but the .222 is the least tempramental of all of them.

Many people don't realize that the SAAMI specs limit the .222 to a lower pressure than the .223, and for no apparent reason. If the .222 is loaded to similar pressures, it yields velocities that are functionally indistinguishable from the .223. In fact, there's no real world difference in what a .222, .223, or .222 Magnum can do in a prarie dog town.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 222 remington or '' Tripple duce'' was one of the greatest benchrest rounds ever made it held many top Honors for Many years,still used ....10-4 by many i''m sure , wonderful round long may it live Wink jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I also started with a Savage 340, .222. It was quite a knock-around rifle. It was so effective on Richardson squirrels that I came close to burning the barrel out. I figured 5000 or so down the tube would cut into the accuracy-potential. I bought a Remington 700V, and after 5K+ realize that isn't quite right, as long as you take care of the barrel. The small capacity probably doesn't hurt, too. I used the 340 for yodel-dogs until a buddy, on his knees and tears in his eyes, talked me out of it. He has a large family and not-much money, so I sold it to him cheap so he could suppliment, and I could build a new yote-gun. My rifle is a thumbhole .25(like a .250/3000 Improved), and I'm not a bit sorry...as long as I keep the 700V for squirrels.
I buy Speer Econo-paks of 52gr hollow-points, and you have to see the destruction to believe it. The accuracy is the equal of anything else. The scope on the 700V is a Simmons 8-32X. That makes it pretty versatile.
I'm putting a Wasp barrel on my Martini, which is a Zipper, now. I'm thinking of using the barrel from the 700V and rechambering, then putting a new barrel on the 700. As long as I can keep a Duece in the rack, I'm happy.
May Santa be so cool as to lay a new .222 on your mantel!!!

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I think the reason for the popularity of the .223 is the readily availble and inexpensive
ammunition. The .204 - new and trendy. I have a Valmet o/u .222 over 12 gauge. The .22 is very accurate, and the combination is perfect for calling. If they hang up - the .222 works well; if they come charging in - the 12 gauge is ideal. The only downside is that it is a bit heavy.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TreeFarmer:
I still use my two though I do use my rifles in .223 Remington more. One is a Sako L46 topped with a 12X Unertl; the other is a Remington 722 topped with a Weaver K10. Both are deadly accurate. I have no experience with the .204 Ruger.

I have an L46 222 that I wouldn't trade for any commercial varmint rifle currently available. I couldn't afford the better rifles when I used them the most and I am trying to make up for it now. I really had to scrape up to pay the $50 for my M70 Hornet 45 years ago.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a brno fox in 222 loaded with 55 gr sierra gameking bullets that I use on seagul, crows and foxes.

Posts: 46 | Location: �rskog, Norway | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote