Find
Notify
Tools

Got took? Update
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
You may recall my thread from earlier this year that I bought a used Rem 700 in 223 a while back and couldn't get it to shoot any load/bullet combo. After trying all the different loads, etc. I finally sent it to my local smith and we screwed a new Douglas SS barrel with 1 in 9 twist on. During the rebarrel, we also rebedded and found that 1 bolt lug had about 80% contact while the other had just 15%. With the action tuned, the rebed and new barrel, we are finally starting to see groups under 1 inch and as the barrel breaks in, the accuracy continues to improve. Still looking for that 1 hole group but we're getting closer all the time.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used factory rifle cheap. It never shot real good. I re-barreled it and did some accuracy work on it. Now it shoots better than it used to. I don't think I got took. I think I learned some things that have helped understand rifles and their function. I guess it has to do with one's outlook.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it has to do with one's outlook.

Amen.

Soooo true.