THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Remington Model 597� MAGNUM LS HB (17 HMR)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 597� MAGNUM LS HB (17 HMR)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is the first alluring .17HMR rifle to come into Italy, a few months ago the cartridge hit the country and and we were offered the Taurus handgun, a Rossi singly shot and now the Remington Job.

The rifles I have seen in .22lr looked to be quite nice and handy, very similar to the ruger 10/22 but I will suspect that while there may not be many aftermarket parts for, the trigger will be a bit better and then some.

Does anyone own one of these Special run Remingtons?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

Had a customer bring that exact rifle into the shop a couple weeks ago for a trigger job and a problem with the scope bases.

The trigger on this rifle was in the 5 lb range with a hint of creep, not to bad for a factory rifle these days. The problem with the scope base was that it had just worked loose from not being degreased before installing.

I adjusted the trigger to a clean 3 lb let off and mounted the scope correctly and headed to the range to sight it in. At 50 yards, I was getting 1/2", three shot groups with the rifle. Did not test it with 5 shot groups or at longer ranges as I was shooting my customers ammo and did not want to waste it as it is a little spendy.

I was using the Hornady ammo and was very impressed with the rifle. Only problem is that the bolt handle would pull out to easily, but after tweeking the retaining spring, that was solved.

Pretty good rifle for the money, not a 10/22 by any means but pretty good.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only version of the 597 17 I've owned was the synthetic, light barrel and it was a consistent 1" or less 17 at 100 yards! A darn sight better than the 22 or 22Magnum versions I own (or owned!) I think Remington may have put a little more time in the 17 versions or could it be that the 17HMR is just as I continue to state and beleive, "INHERRENTLY ACCURATE"!??? As far as aftermarket stuff, there is a bit showing up now especially barrels! I still have one in 22 Mag that if I find a 17HMR barrel for at a reasonable price, I'll make a tomato stake out of the magnum barrel!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Rem 597 17HMR lam stock. Excellent rifle; could use a little trigger work.

From a bench with an old Leu 12X and my poor shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yds are boreingly routine.

Shooting ground squirrels out around 100 yds dead on hold and squirrel internals become externals.

I'll have a little trigger work done and change the 'scope to a 3-9X40 (12X a little slow to acquire target) and continue happily doing varmint control work.

BTW, I also have a Rem 597 22LR stainless synthetic. Had a trigger job, added a Weaver 2-7 rimfire, and from a bench 50 yd groups are under 3/4" with most ammo I have tried.

The factory triggers are not bad as received. But they can be made better, so why not?

Couldn't be happier with these two rifles.

Posts: 24 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote