New
Find
Notify
Tools

.240 Weatherby??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy, Looking for some input. I have a spare long action with a .473 bolt face. I want to build a long range varmint rig. Have been looking into the .240 Weatherby, .220 swift. Looking for input from guys who have been there done that and which will out perform the other.
Thanks
Bill

Posts: 216 | Location: Port Lavaca, Tx | Registered: 21 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look at a 6mm.06. The brass will be so much more reasonable and easy to make. Just buy 25.06 and run it through a .243 neck die and wallah! The other beef i have with weatherby calibers are the extreme freebore. unless you have a reamer made with out freebore and only reload, i would look past the 240. I just had a 6mm-06 built and i couldnt be happier. 55s going 4350fps and 70 grainers going 4000 fps all well under .5 moa works for me. Case capacity is almost identical with the 240 weatherby as well. Contact Kirby Allen (fiftydriver) and he will build you one hell of a rifle. I have owned several swifts and they are fine but all of the 6mms shooting 55s will outperform the swift both in bc and velocity. Cheers and let us know what you decide!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never powned a .240-- BUT i've read that when chambered properly they will shoot quite well. I'm with Heavy tho when it comes to Kirby building the gun-- he's very insightful when it comes to understanding what the shooter needs, as far as i've seen here. He's gonna get my next project for sure.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
While cases are not cheap, they are not out of line with any other Norma or Lapua brass. In other words, you do get what you pay for.

As far as shooting, I load for my father in law, and he keeps nailing crows with his out to 473 yards. Shot a black bear with it last year at over 400. That rifle is like a death ray..... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm/06

I have owned 3 barrels in 6mm/06...a 1 in 10 and 2 1 in 12s...all were HV contour on a bench gun and 26 inches. My speeds with 70 grainers were as hvyw8t said.

From memory 75 grainers were just over 3900 and 85 grainers were 3650 area. 25/06 brass necked down.

As a side note, the 1 in 10 and one of the 1 in 12 barrels were rechambered to 6mm/284 very ealrly in their life and my results were not as good with the 6mm/284. I suspect that accuracy was off a bit because of more necking down of the 284 brass as compared to necking 25/06 to 6mm/06. Could have also being the individual dies. Who knows?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote