THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Longest Shot To Date - Now With Pics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longest Shot To Date - Now With Pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Well, Sunday morning my dad rolled in from his walk up the tracks. He burst into the house with so much excitement he was like a fat kid in a candy shop. Anyways, the reason for his excitement was a coyote, no more than 50 yards across the tracks from the house.

By the time I got my gear on and headed out to the tracks (about 100 yards from the front door) the coyote is at about 500 yards with a pair of friends! As I'm getting set up, one coyote decides I'm not going to be that nice and takes off. The other two didn't seem too concerned about my presence as I was a ways off.
This pic is to show the distance I was sitting from my house

I settled down at the nearest fence post and took aim, just as I fixed the x hairs on the coyote on top of the round bale, they start into the howling, and not just a couple, they let loose with at least a minutes worth of challenge howls...it was actually quite a sight to watch through the scope.

I then decided to try to call them a bit closer, but with no luck, they wouldn't budge at all. I then realized it would be up to my shooting skills and my Burris FFII with a ballistic plex reticle. I found the coyote on top of the bale with my x hairs, and established the fact that he was at least 475 yards (according to my estimation) and placed the second hash mark under the x hairs onto the chest of the coyote and squeezed off a round. It was over in an instant, the coyote dropped dead from a direct hit to the neck at exactly 505 yards (which I stepped off, just to be sure on the distance).

This pic is of the distance from me to the bail the coyote was sitting on.

Shot with:
Rem Model 700 SPS in 22-250
Burris FFII 4.5-14x42mm with Bal Plex Ret
50 gr Berger Match bullet, 41 gr H380, Win brass, WLR Primer

And here is my prize!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time was had by everyone except the coyote. Great shooting and a fine story. Be sure and post your pix.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going! What is the zero range of your rig?

Congrats... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Nice going! What is the zero range of your rig?

Congrats... thumb

Well Bob, I have my Burris FFII sighted in for 200 yard shots with the cross hairs, then each hash mark on the ballistic plex reticle is used for longer and longer shots, I'm good out to about 675-700 yards...although a bit more practice is required for the extremely long shots. I haven't had much practice on coyote sized targets out to 500 yards, but am now confident in the fact that I can do it if I have to!

I figure I should add that after the initial shot and celebrations, I called the male back to about 650 yards and had him lined up with the Bal Plex Reticle, but with all the adrenaline and excitment, I jerked the shot, which hit right in front of the male. He subsequently took off and was never seen again....till this weekend I hope! BOOM

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting hilbily. My buddy shot a squirrel through the ears at 430 paces the other day w/ a 22-250 after one warning shot LOL. He said he wanted to give him a chance you know Roll Eyes!!! It was the longest shot I have seen connect personally. dancing

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hell of a shot my personal best is 300 with my ruger 22/250

Posts: 10 | Location: Se. Oklahoma | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
Nice shooting hilbily. My buddy shot a squirrel through the ears at 430 paces the other day w/ a 22-250 after one warning shot LOL. He said he wanted to give him a chance you know Roll Eyes!!! It was the longest shot I have seen connect personally. dancing

Ah yes....the good ole squirrel shoot with the 22-250! BOOM Last winter my brother and I dusted, and I mean literraly dusted about a dozen squirrels one day, he with his .204 loaded with berger match bullets and me with my 22-250 loaded with Sierra BlitzKings....now that's entertainment! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out my 930 yard coyote pic on the "post your varmint pics here" thread. Page 3

That's the longest shot of my life to date.

Sorry, but you gotta be proud of that.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Good shootin! thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No pictures,but i DID have several witnesses.A groundhog,standing erect at about 70 yards,offhanded shot with a .54 flintlock rifle.
This was after another fella had shot at it and missed with a .243 scoped of course!After it reemerged from it's hole I tried for it.
This was on a Friday at a Muzzleloading shoot in Floyd,VA,thus the reason for several folks around.

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffstamper:
No pictures,but i DID have several witnesses.A groundhog,standing erect at about 70 yards,offhanded shot with a .54 flintlock rifle.
This was after another fella had shot at it and missed with a .243 scoped of course!After it reemerged from it's hole I tried for it.
This was on a Friday at a Muzzleloading shoot in Floyd,VA,thus the reason for several folks around.

That woulda been something to see! How'd the GH fair from that impact? BOOM

posted Hide Post
Well Sir,it went in one ear and came out the other,a double whammy.Pure accident on my part,even though in them days I was a much better shooter.
But it really was an unfortunate thing as well,my friend Terry,the guy with the .243,I haven't seen him at the shoot since.I do not think that shot was the reason,I think it was something else,maybe more like he moved to a new area.

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice...I've always wondered what a ML would do to a small game animal such as a ground hog! The last GH I killed was with a 22lr, it was living in the engine compartment of my brother's old car sitting in my parents yard, my brother in law and I flushed him out then I put the hammer down with my Ruger 10/22!