New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting uphill.(Bright Eyes)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have no prairie dogs over here but I am carrying out a pest control job for a sheep farmer in Wales who has a mountainside infested with rabbits.I'm using a .22Lr and a 243.
Most of the shots are 45 Degrees uphill and I have made the following observations:
Using Eley S/SoniC H/Pt zeroed @ 50y I can hit rabbits @100y with minimal hold over.
Using the 243 with 75g Blts and 100y zero I can make hits out to 250y.
I know uphill shots strike higher,but that much?.Cheers Rob T.
P.S.What size are your prairie dogs.Our rabbits are about 2.5 lb
-----------------------------------------------
Watershipdown.You've read the book,you've seen the movie.Now eat the cast!

[ 06-27-2003, 05:13: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, remember that as the angle increases, the real (physical) distance from the muzzle decreases, thus less hold over is required. This is true for downward angles also.

Of all the prairie dogs I've dispatched,I've never given the weight a thought. Sorry. When center punched with a .22-250 there isn't much left.

Jack rabbits around here can run 3 to 4 pounds.

Keep up the good work, packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A sage rat is about the size (and configuration) of a bowling pin. Maybe not quite so tall. I don't have a clue as to the weight. After a meeting of a sage rat and a hollow point 55gr bullet @ 3500fps, the results are too gruesome to touch. By any road, they have fleas that carry, among other things, bubonic plague. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies.
Judging by the sound of silence most varminters must shoot on fairly flat ground.
cheers Rob T.

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote