Find
Notify
Tools

Called In A BobCat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
While Turkey Hunting yesterday afternoon I had a Bobcat come in to my Turkey calling. I've heard of this before but never thought it would happen to me. I've called in several cats this past season so I know they are there just suprised me I guess. To bad our season ended March 31, I had to let him walk. This ever happen to anyone else?

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I called a young doe fawn into a turkey call about 3 years ago. The weirdest thing I think I've ever seen. Then she wouldn't leave. I bet she hung around for close to thirty minutes checking out the decoys before mossing off.

The first time I called in a bobcat was when I wasn't trying a few years back when deer hunting. It was opening weekend of archery season and I was using a young fawn bleat to try and take out a doe for the freezer. Called in a male bobcat about 50 yards but he never came any closer. Throughout the season that year I called in two others (that I know of). I ended up shooting a large male during gun season. That place was ate up with bobcats!

Here he is:

Oklahoma bobcat (to give you an idea of how big this guy was: he weighed 42 lbs and the mount he is standing on is almost 44 inches long)

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Very nice cat! We have a bunch of them here but I have yet to see one go 42 pounds. I've called in six this past season, but only closed the deal on two. I sure do enjoy hunting cats.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful coloring.

Really great pose too.

Whoever mounted this cat did a great job.
I hope the tanning was real good so the ears, lips, toes etc don't rot off in a few years like mine did.

Since I lost a deer mount, bobcat, Dad's bear and a gray fox all to sorry assed self tanning by the taxidermist. I won't ever let another one tan anything for me.

I'll flesh them best I can, then pay the tannery extra to go over it before the tannery does the tanning.

I've seen a great number of cats, coyotes, elk, antelope etc and they've done great work. So much better than the taxidermists I've seen.

Wish you well on a long life for this great mount. Varmints down south eat well year around I have no doubts about a 42# full grown male cat.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote