THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Does a .22LR have enough coyote power?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Does a .22LR have enough coyote power?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, this is just an opinion, but I don't think the 22LR is enough gun for coyotes.

I know, I know, a 22 LR has killed all sorts of game, lots of it much bigger than a coyote. Heck, the world record grizzly bear for a long time was a bruin killed with one shot from a 22 Long.

But, let's be practical. A 22 LR is really pretty marginal for coyotes except for one that is caught in a trap. A 22 LR just does not have the power to kill a coyote "reliably" at anything but very close range.

Believe me, I have some farmer friends who tell me all the time about shooting a coyote in their vineyard only to have it wander off.

Just my opinion, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not likely to recover a coyote shot with a .22 LR, unless of course it is a head shot or some other "lucky" hit. The typical shot to the torso will likely be fatal, but the coyote will usually get away before you can recover it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does a .22LR 36 grain hollow point have enough power to take down a coyote at 60 plus yards? And possible out to 100yards?

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote