Find
Notify
Tools

What is a .223 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
I have seen alot of people post about the .223 AI.Just what is the .223 AI and can you shoot them out of a factory .223.Thanks in advance.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
It's simply a reamed out .223 chamber with a 40 degree shoulder. The advantages are slighty more powder capacity and less case triming due the straighter case walls. The disadvantages are more expensive reloading dies and maybe poor resale values(to some). And yes you can fire factory .223 ammo in th AI if properly chambered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can fire the regular 223 ammo in an Ackley Improved chamber but NOT the reverse.I'm actually thinking of building one of these.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Dan in Wa I have a 223AI and also wilson neck and seating dies for it and found out that my standard 223 Lee collet dies work great on the 223AI. With the sharper shoulder I haven't had to FL yet with many reloadings. Just another opinion.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
tommyn,
Yes I have done the same kinda...used to neck size .30 Herrett and .30/30 cases in my .300 Savage dies. Thanks for your opinion.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Forgot to mention that your excellant Wilson tools are made about 8 miles from my house.

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Good thing for my checkbook that I don't live that close. Outstanding reloading tools. [Razz] [Razz]

<.>
posted
Reloading for .223 AI is a matter of fire forming brass for YOUR rifle. You need a bolt action or similar sort of action.

Once the brass is fire formed, all that is required is to "neck size" the brass. BUT, the brass is custom sized for YOUR gun . . . not just any ol' .223 AI.

Neck sizing dies for .223 are easy to find and not all that expensive. People who shoot bolt action guns often just neck size their fire formed brass. In theory, neck sized brass that is fire formed for a specific gun fits the chamber tighter and results in more accuracy. Neck sizing only also increases brass life. Neck sizing is MUCH simpler than FL sizing of cases.

I started a web site forum for .223 AI, but have not checked it in months . . . I've been busy with other projects. The .223 AI loads move into the "wildcat" realm and you need to understand "pressure signs" etc as you work up a load. There's not a lot of published data for .223 AI, and even with the data, your gun will prove an individual case which needs a load worked up -- a chrono is essential.