THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Poll - Varmints to Improve your shooting or just to enjoy Varminting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Varmints to Improve your shooting or just to enjoy Varminting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It is obvious a lot of folks really enjoy Varminting on this Board. But I suspect the reasons vary. Which brings us to:

Question:
What is the reason you Varmint Hunt?

Choices:
1. Just for the challenge of Varminting.
2. To extend my Shooting Season.
3. To enhance my shooting ability for Big Game Hunting.
4. More than one of the above. Feel free to elaborate.
5. Other. Feel free to elaborate.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see, why do I varmint hunt?

There are so many types of varmints. Crows, grackles, starlings, nutria, prarie dogs, fox, coyotes, badgers, hogs, ring tail cats, armadillos, porcupines, coons,turtles, frogs, etc.
You can shoot them all year long till your heart's content. No limit.

I tailor my loads and shoot at the range enough to where hitting targets, whether they are paper, fur or feathers is not a major problem.

I do enjoy the challenge of calling in coyotes, bobcats, fox and crows.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Night hunting for coyotes is so different from every other kind of hunting I've done. There is something about it that I really enjoy. I think it maybe the challenge of hunting the critter when the conditions are in it's favor.

and besides, nothing beats medium rare coyote steaks nilly

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Cause I like to shoot! Cause I like to shoot ALOT! No I mean cause I like to shoot a AAALLLLOOOOTTTTT!!!!!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThis may cause a little furor and perhaps some introspection Eeker Does anyone NOT believe there is an excitement in shooting Live targets as obviated by mentioned thrill at a Pink mist?? Fess up now. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
All of the above, but mainly I just like to shoot stuff.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche,
Pink Mist,Bang Flop,Poof(crows and the like);
how can any "shooter" NOT get a thrill?
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy "varminting for two reasons mostly.
One. I enjoy shooting varmints. Yes bartsche I do enjoy live targets. Most of my shooting is at paper so the change is fun.
Two. This is mostly PD and Ground Squirrel related. The volume of shooting allows one to get some very good experience shooting in differing wind and light conditions. Of course you have to pay attention to what is going on around you. Making adjustments as indicated. Not just blasting away.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
All of the Above!

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I liked taking out my 270 Winchester and 308 Norma Mag befor big game hunting. I would pick on the jackrabbits and prairie dogs so I was in shape for big game hunting. Now at age 74 years most of my shooting is at prairie dogs with .172 and .224 bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Therapy- nothing like a dead varmint to releive stress.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Other:

To keep the yotes from the cows, to keep the hogs from tearing up the land and to keep the crows from eating the pecans.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You all sure have some excellent answers. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varminting is a way to extend my hunting for most of the year.
I guess I just love to hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I voted 'other' because my reasons are many. I love to shoot. The chalenge in New Zealand is mostly rabbit and our rabbit dosent confine itself to warrens but spreads over entire properties and there are no two shots the same, as mostly hilly country means constant elevation, distance and wind considerations are the norm. Either walking the gullies with a sxs 12 g or stretching out with my 20 VarTarg. A 350yd first shot hit on a crouched rabbit is cause for celebration. Final reason is that they taste real good and I like to bring enough home for the freezer.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Just for the challenge of varminting!" I like it! I like it a lot!!! Killing a B&C record book whitetail is all right (and yes I've come close 178 2/8 Gross, net 158 2/8 net).........not a real challenge..........he showed up, I fired!! A lot of hours sitting in a stand, or stealthly looking for the beast, keeping myself obcevvily cleanwhile hunting? NO!!................... Stopped to help a neighbor pull a calf and the buck walked out about the time we were done with the cow duty! So I shot him! And thats about how all B&C records are gotten! JUST PURE LUCK AND TIME OF OPPURTUNITY!! Now go find 100 groundhogs to shoot at!!! That's huntin! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
More than a few "jackass rabbits" have gone to my .300 and .264 Magnums. A LOT more shifted into 3rd gear because I was "in town."
At night, with a call or squeaker in my mouth, my M94 .25/35 Improved has done what she was built for.
My M98 .25x2 (wildcat) does well with coyote, and can do double-duty on deer.
"Picket pins" call their "buds" when my 700V .222 shows up, so they can stay home. Most don't!
There's smoke in the air when my M57 or Ruger BH .41 Magnums is in jackrabbit territory.
There are two more "in process", an M92 Winchester(Rossi) is having a .256 Magnum barrel installed, and a HiWall .219 Zipper Improved is having a Redfield 3200 mounted!!!
So....I have to say "other." All of the above + another excuse to buy one more gun.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the above, But really good Fun

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote