New
Find
Notify
Tools

choate stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about purchasing the ultamint varmint stock from choate for my m70 winchester, has any one used them and what are their thoughts.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ugly as sin, heavier than sin, but I like mine. I've reshaped it slightly using the belt sander to hog off some material here and there. Its about to be painted.
I bought it because it was heavy and I wanted to keep my rifle down to see hits on prairie dogs.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one as a factory option on my savage in .223. The prof is right about it being heavy & ugly as sin. I haven't had to do any grinding on mine to get it to fit, not that it wouldn't help. Mine came with 2 cheekpieces and LOP shims. The LOP shims allow you to adjust your stock for cold weather (heavy parka) or warm weather use.

Posts: 45 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the reasons I was looking at the choate was the weight, pretty is as pretty does, not looking for it to win a beauty contest, want something that adjusts and will let me see my hits or misses on prairie dogs and gophers, did either of you have any trouble fitting your actions to the stock. thank you both for your reply.

posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the ult varmint for my pdog rifles. Think that I'm up to three at this point. All Savages, all dropped right in, can't speak to the m70's. Like stated above, if you are going to carry your gun a lot...look elsewhere. Off off a bench or prone alot, love my ult varminters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
l have three on Rem. 7oo's and 40x. l love them
but l do not carry them far.all were drop in's.
all guns l have seen shoot beter day to day,
month to month and season to season than all
others...yea l like them.good luck...
Jon D.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Mine is actually for a Savage, the ultimate sniper with the slanted forend. Just liked the looks of it. I did put in a skim bedding to ensure everything was right. Also, what I did was buy an on-sale Striker, put a Sharp Shooter's Supply barrel on it, got the right-hand stock and then cut a notch for the left-hand bolt. Did I mention I'm a southpaw? I now load from the right where I can see, and work the bolt on the left.
For you Savage owners, don't, don't, don't bed the very back of the tang. You'll get vertical stringing, or two-group groups. Voice of experience on three different rifles.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my shooting prone with bi-pod, some off the bench. had not planned on carring it to far from the truck. thanks to all for your input. I think I will look at one for my 22-250, in fact I will be ordering one. Always nice to get the opinions from people who use a product, rather than the" I read some where that." thanks once again Lookout