THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Request Recommendations: Bipods

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request Recommendations: Bipods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering the purchase of a bipod(s) for some of my varmint rifles. I'd appreciate your input on the following:

1. Which bipods do you consider to be the best?

2. What is your recommended height for a bipod?

3. Are there different bipods or bipod attachment for synthetic, laminate, or wood stocked rifles?

Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Harris "S" type bipod and like it very much. My only issue is that I purchased the wrong height. I have the 13-25" thinking that it would be good for both prone and sitting. It is a fine height for sitting but is a bit too tall for prone shooting. For prone, I would suggest the 9-13"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I have to ask what you mean by varmint rifles?

If we are talking about true varmint rifles, used for such things as prairie dogs, ground squirrels, marmots, etc. the clear choice is the Harris swivel model in 9-13 inches.

For predator hunting I prefer the Harris swivel model in 13-25 inches. I have used that same bipod to take bull elk with my 300 Wby Mag as well. (Both prone and sitting) Having said that, for predator hunting I am just as likely to just use a good set of shooting sticks.

The Harris brand is clearly the best and the swivel option is clearly worth the money. I was lying on the side of a hill one time with a Harris bibod that did not swivel and I had a heck of a time getting a shot off at a wild hog.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe this depends on how tall you are.

The tallest Harris is too short for me, unless I am prone (I like the sitting position the best), so I went with the Stony point rapid pivot bipod. A seperate attachment mounts to the swivel stud, and the bipod itself then can be quickly changed from gun to gun.

If I am on a steep hill the legs extends out and are flexible enough to get a good sight picture for me.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Big GrinTwo six foot bamboo sticks and 2 nylon cords.
shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6-19 in model,it works when shooting off a bench or the hood of the ford f250.
I have been wondering about the one used for sitting but there are too many grass burrs here. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harris 9-13", swivel.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
harris's are great, size depends on you and the conditions. watch prone: very steady, but if your to low, the grass and such blocks your shot, no differences in stock material matter. most attach to the sling swivel. try it for height in the position you use most in the field. comfort is important or you will be fighting the position with yur body and not be as steady as you want.

if you can't own it don't say it

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Harris and Shooters Ridge. Even though they look the same there are differences. On the ones I have the Harris just seems more sturdy and rigid.

Personally the only time I use a bipod is for shooting from a Portable Shooting Bench or off the hood of my Vehicle. For those purposes I prefer the BR Size (6" to 9"). If I am shooting Prairie Dogs or Gophers from a Portable Shooting Bench I prefer the Swivel version so I can compensate for an unlevel table or surface. If I am accuracy testing or just trying to shoot tiny groups from the bench I prefer the rigid version.

I am 6'2" tall but only have a 34" inseam, ie I am long from my waist to my shoulders. As such the tallest of the Harris Bipods is not tall enough for me to use excapt under ideal conditions (ie level ground and or no snow for the legs to sink into). For hunting where I will be shooting from a Sitting or Kneeling Position I much prefer my Stoney Point Bipod (the version that does not attach to the gun but folds up for easy carrying). I also have a home made set of crossed shooting sticks I use from time to time also (depends on how deep the snow is).

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Harris 13-25" with swivel head on a .257 Weatherby Accumark, and am pretty pleased with the choice (although I'm using it for game rather than varmints.) The 13" minimum setting is just a little awkward from prone (I'm about 5'9"--a taller guy would probably find it easier to work with), but it gives me enough stability to print 1.25-1.5" groups @ 200 yards, so the curve in my back doesn't seem to do much harm. On the other hand, I find that grass, etc. can obscure the target at the 13" setting, making the ability to go higher than 13", and shoot from a sitting or kneeling position, a real advantage. Having said that, I think that if I was hunting something that offered a lot of shots from a single position (e.g., prairie dogs), shooting from prone at the 13" setting might eventually get uncomfortable. However, for woodchucks, etc. where the shots are generally spaced a little farther apart, and certainly for predators, the 13-25" is probably the right way to go.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use B-square. You can just add lengths of legs to make any height you want. They also make a tilt model.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Harris 9-13", swivel.

Everything considered, size, adjustement, weight, ease of attachment, price and most of all performance, this one is the best, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I have used the above mentioned units (except the B-Square) and they all perform well. I also have two of these (one prone, one sitting) and they work very well and are Q-U-I-E-T when you deploy them. They both swivel and cant.

Cauldwell Bi-pods

You don't get the SPROING you sometimes get with a Harris when you deploy them.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Went back through my gun favorites and found this link:

Versa-Pod

Never used them, but maybe someone else can give you their experience. Another time this was brought up on AR, someone was singing their praises. They seem a bit pricy, but if they work well...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Harris that tilts side to side so you can quickly level the retical on uneven ground without dealing too much with the leg lengths. It has a Pod Lock on it that locks the bipod into the position once you get the retical level. The legs are notched and are sprung outwardly. You hit the button and they shoot out, then you can push the button to adjust the legs in to the notch you want. 9-13 is perfect for the bench and the ground prone.

The Harris bipods that with the legs that are sprung inward when you hit the button and have to be locked in postion by tightening the wheel on the leg, SUCK

posted Hide Post
For my pdog shooting, I mostly plop down & sit. The 13-25" Harris works great. I was not too happy with the "Versa-pod"--yes, it worked, but when on relatively flat ground, I thought my non-tilting Harris was much more stable than the "tilt-able" versa pod. I have not tried a Harris w/tilt.
Steyr47

Posts: 8 | Location: Monument, CO | Registered: 07 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Harris bipods and my favorite one for P. dog shooting is the 13-25 inch model that swivels. I like shooting from a sitting position to get the muzzle up out of the grass and that model works well for that. My son has a couple of Caldwell bipods and they work fine but I still like the Harris better, even though it weighs twice as much.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swivelling, B-Square or Harris - pretty much all the same deal - they all work well. No sense on holding back for a poll - just buy one, mount it and shoot.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as the "3-9" power scopes from any manufacturer are about the most used scopes, the 9-13" Harris bi-pod is probably the most used bi-pod. At 9" with a decent rear bag it can afford a reasonable rest for bench use or "short grass" use from the prone position. It can also suffice across a truck hood! Works wonderfully well off a truck tailgate! When extended gives you a bit more height if the grass is taller. The 6-9"(BR) bipods are GREAT for the bench! Not too tall to be cumbersome and provide a pretty substantial platform for shooting. The 13-25" models fulfill a need for more of the "stalk and shoot" scenarios that one could encounter with big game hunting or predator calling from uneven ground and various set-ups. The swivel models while giving the ability to "swivel" also have a "lock" on them when using in a fixed position. I've got them all, I use them all and they all have a purpose but if I had to choose "just one" it would be the 9-13" model. My 3 cents worth! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harris! I have two different sizes they they both come in handy depending what i'm trying to do.

Posts: 39 | Location: N. Oklahoma | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I like a 6-9" Harris for prone work, targets and steel.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may sound old fashioned, but after 25 years of coyote control calling and denning, I still prefer to carry the shooting sticks (bipod) with me, not have them attached to the rifle. I use painted wooden dowels in two lengths, bolted together about 5" from one end and then use a keeper or stop to hold them open to a maximum bottom width: 36" for most sitting shooting and 48" when I am shooting from an incline, hillside, overlook, creek bank or some other terrain elevation. They work great day in and day out and I've used them to kill rattlesnakes more than once. Again, this information is only for calling or denning with or without dogs.

I have no opinion on PD shooting and bipods.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kelly.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I use a Harris 6 myself for most purpose that I encounter I am surprised that nobody mention a versapod. How about hunter from the states ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote