Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR 15 Style Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I'm going to purchase a new AR style rifle. Which is the best for the money in your opinion. Looking for something that puts them in the 1/2" group at 100 yds.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple guys that have DPMS and like them. I dont have a lot of experience in this area unfortunately.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
In this overblown ar market, expect to spend $1100+

I know Academy Sports is selling the Remington R-25 in .243 winchester for $1,450. That seems to be one of the better deals I have found for a flattop/hunting AR platform rifle.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a DPMS in a 260 remington this puts 140 gr fedral ammo in about 3/4 inch groups (100 yds). Have not experimented with reloads yet.

I have a R-15 that puts black hills 50gr Vmax in 1 inch groups. About the same with my reloads.

I have a RRA predator that puts the Black hills 50gr vmax in 3/4 groups. By experimenting with reloads, nosler 50gr BT and 26.5 gr H335 getting 1/2 inch groups, and less using BLC-2 with Nosler as well. It looks like using a 68gr serra macth with Varget may be even better, but havn't had time to do much lately.

Based on this I ordered another RRA varmiter that has the 24 inch barrell.

The dealer that I ordered from is not marking them up as much as some. Around $1100 for the RRA.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
RRA Coyote or Varmint

3/4" groups expected, handloading will shrink that some.

RRA has a nice factory trigger.

I bought one from Class 3 Weapons (google them for site address) for about 1K shipped in November.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had DPMS and Bushmaster. My Bushmaster came with a better trigger, but I ended up keeping the DPMS. Both are good guns that shot better than I could.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own an armalite cost under 1k and shoots 1" @100. wanting to build another should be able to get it for under 800 for the 24 in" free floated bull barrel there not hard to build and there cheaper on the pocket

Posts: 10 | Location: Se. Oklahoma | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have bush. predator & varminter rifles that shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa on average with handloads,what ever you get,get one with a free floated barrel,it will be more accurate

Posts: 16 | Location: n.w.missouri | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a LarueTactical 18" Stealth model on top of my Bushmaster lower which has a really good trigger and it will shoot 1/2" at 100 if I do my part which I often don't. Larue makes great stuff and is tops IMO.

Posts: 32 | Location: eagle river | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a few different names of AR and I have to say that while some were a bit more tricked out I have yet to find one that shoots better or I like more than my current Bushmaster.
I did replace the trigger with a Rock River and that helped a bunch.
I have to honestly say though that I have yet to shoot one of any brand that I did not like, and that did not shoot extremely well.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rock River "Predator/Pursuit" 20" match stainless barrel, great trigger for an AR. 1:8 twist. I've been working up loads for it for a few months now. Barrel is now broken in and the groups are showing up around .5" (Sierra 69gr HPBT over a medium charge of Varget). I've just received a couple of hundred Berger VLD's 75gr, I think I'll be able to get groups even smaller, I'll post as soon as I find out. I found it in stock at my local gunshop for about $1k. I think they've gone up a little.... By the way, powder, primers, bullets, brass are nearly impossible to find right now, wonder why?

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a DPMS Sweet Sixteen. It shoots well beyond my expectations. I shot some 1/2 inch groups w/ it a 50 yards the other day w/ a 1x red dot that has a 5MOA dot and just XM193 ball ammo. I cant wait to put a scope on it and see what it will do w/ handloads a little further out. Hell I figured if it shot 2in w/ the red dot I would be happy. This is my first go around w/ an AR also. I will tell you though that 16" bull barrel is LOUD! Just be sure to get the 1 in 7 twist if you want to shoot the heavy bullets. Mine is a 1 in 9 but it will suit my purposes. Also if you want accuracy make sure it is chambered for .223 and not 5.56. Mine is a .223 also. I paid $995 for it also.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Rock River Arms 16 inch varminter. ten shots @ 100 yards .4 inch group

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Let's see what these bad babies look like.....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Dutchboy
posted Hide Post
I have a DPMS 1-9 twist 5.56 H-BAR 16" non-chrome flat top. What should I start my first hand load with? I prefer Nosler and Sierra bullets and am shooting varmint. Any help would be nice

NRA Life Member
Protect our Second Amendment.
Teach a child firearms safety and respect.
Teach a child to shoot today!

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden Central Valley California | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain, What do you intend to use the rifle for? Extreme long range? Looks like with the twist you have a 55 or 60 grain Nosler or Sierra would be great over a mild load of "Benchmark" or "Varget". Can't go to wrong.

I wanted to try some heavier bullets, because I've already got a 22-250AI w/1:14 twist. I can push the 55gr at about 3800 with no problem... I've loaded some 69gr Sierra and 75gr Bergers (1:8 twist) but haven't shot them yet. I'm going to use my Stoney Point OAL gauge and try some loaded just off the lands. They will have to be loaded one at a time as they will be to long for the magazine. I think I've seen a "follower" for sale that should make it easier to load them....

-Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchboy:
I have a DPMS 1-9 twist 5.56 H-BAR 16" non-chrome flat top. What should I start my first hand load with? I prefer Nosler and Sierra bullets and am shooting varmint. Any help would be nice

a 55 grn Nosler bt and 27 grains of varget is a kick ass load in my AR.
Max is 27.5 but you will have to use a drop tube or tap your cases as you fill to keep them from over flowing.
Wicked good load in my opinion, I just shot two coyotes with it over the weekend and it never fails to impress both with its accuracy and with its terminal performance on coyote sized game.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Dutchboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the load prospect. I have that Nosler BT and Varget on hand. Will post my findings in a couple days. Thanks again patriot

NRA Life Member
Protect our Second Amendment.
Teach a child firearms safety and respect.
Teach a child to shoot today!

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden Central Valley California | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a DPMS sweet 16 and am really pleased with the groups I am getting with factory ammo. It will shoot a 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip in half inch 3 shot groups all day long.
The trigger isn't the greatest but that is easily fixed. Anyway, my point is that I would highly recommend this as a first AR.

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson UT-15 http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_ut-15_qr.asp and I am working loads up for it now. It was shooting 1.5" with $h1tty wolf ammo.

My sons friend has a ss-15 he wants to trade me even for. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_ss-15.asp

I don't know if I will or not.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Class 3 Weapons is out of Predator rifles. You can place an order based on what they have ordered.

Go Here See what they have ordered and the date of order and make a choice.

Call or email them. Their salesman, John Kleiber, was very helpful and prompt in his replies.

Here is a 16" Predator. A friend of mine has one (20") and it shoots any bullet you can find in tight little groups.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend has a AR he built up with a Shilen .204 Ruger barrel from Midway he likes a lot. I've got one that I like that's part Alex Arms 6.5 Grendel and lots of parts of other things out of the bin with a Chip M trigger, and it groups nicely.

All depends on what you want to shoot/hunt with it as to chambering but there are a hell of a lot of ways to go.

Happy Shooting,

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Just spoke with a guy who has a Bushmaster and a Rock River. He shoots them both A LOT!

Which do you like best?

"I like the Rock River much better than the Bushmaster."

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
The pic you have up is the rifle that I bought with the 20" barrel... I shot it on Sunday and again earlier today, along with the 22-250AI that I've got. Gee, for some reason, I'm reloading 100 or so rounds a week for thre "Rock". It's sweet. I can't wait to get the scope that I want for it. Right now I've got a Leupy 3.5-10AO Vari-X III on it that I had. I'm going to give the new "Falcon" 5-25FFP a try. It doesn't come out till some time in April. I just finished changing the butt stock to the "Rock River Tactical CAR and bought half a dozen 30rnd mags. Groups with the 69grain Sierra are under .5", I hope to get them down to the .2-.3" range with some "tweaking"...

-Ben Franklin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
AI 22-250,

That is a sweet rifle! I love the Rock River. Everything about that model is quality.

You know they won the contract against 13 other compettitors for the DEA order of 5000 rifles. This was back a few years ago.

Good enough for DEA, good enough for me!

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Between my brothers and I we have about everything- and I was really knocked over when we rigged up a Mini 14 NRA edition - Hogue overmold- as sort of a loner rifle for friends- that things shoots lights out! It is our favorite rifle- I think the minis are hit and miss, but if you get a good one you can't beat the price....

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote