New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easter Bunny Decoys?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About 10 years ago I got a couple of stuffed life-size Easter Bunnys from Wal-Mart right after Easter for 25cents each. Left them with a buddy and picked up 4 more last year. Plan to try the new ones with the Feather on the Car Antenna trick that Bob showed.

Do any of you use Easter Bunnys for Decoys?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but of course my good man, whenever we set up in the tulips we use easter bunnies. you must approach the stand carefully though, try tip toeing through the tulips Big Grin hilbily rotflmo

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Thats good! I can imagine the guy with the Uke playing Coyote Calling music. Big Grin
-----

The first ones I got had the same coloration as our local Brown Rabbits. Had to dig past some "Pink" ones to find more of them the second time.

We ran fishing line to their ears and ran it over a limb to make them move just a bit. But occasionally it was good fun to make them appear to jump pretty high once a Coyote had it spotted, or appeared to have it spotted.

Worked pretty well. But I'm real interested to see how well the "Feather" works that Bob mentioned.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core making a noise like a carrot might attract live rabbits and be even better.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I tried one of those Wal-Mart Easter Bunnies a few years ago as a decoy / attractor but the only thing it attracted was some SOB in a speeding Ford pickup. I may have been hunting to close to the road. bewildered

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Carpetman and Mick, I sure appreciate your alls input. It is so nice to be able to "learn Varminting Tricks of the trade" from you all. tu2 dancing BOOM

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
In all seriousness Hot Core I’ve never used a stuffed rabbit decoy. I have used the feather on a stick attractor many times. The feather trick works as long as there’s a little breeze. I think anything that focuses the coyote’s attention away from you, and your movement is a great idea. You’d be amazed what a coyote can’t see as long as it doesn’t move. Your Easter Bunnies may work fine; the one problem I would have with them is adding things that have an unnatural scent to my setup. You already have enough things with unnatural scents to contend with without adding more. Easter Bunnies do not smell like rabbits. Don’t underestimate the power of a coyote’s noise. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Points. Thanks! That will give me something to think about.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
One other note:

Don’t make eye to eye contact. If they see eyes it freaks them out. You may be fully camouflaged but eyes are eyes and eyes stand out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent Tip for all kinds of critters. We use a Face Mask when Deer Hunting and adjust it so we can barely see over the bottom of the Eye Holes. Then pull the brim on the Boonie Hat down so we are barely looking under it. That way we are barely looking through a small opening and our eyes are in the dark created by the brim.

Easy to test on any Game or even a Bird if anyone does not believe it is true, by allowing one to get close and then opening your eyes real w-i-d-e.

Hey Mick, Do they make a Rabbit Scent or do I need to get a jar and collect some?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talking about easter bunnys my son when he was about 4 was ask by a little old lady one easter. Did you see the easter bunny this morning.

He gave her a funny look I told him Webley tell her about rabbits.

Her looked at her in the eye and says "bang em cut em up and eat them." She say so you don't have easter bunnys at your house. He says
" bang em cut em up and eat them."

I was one proud Dad.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mick, Do they make a Rabbit Scent or do I need to get a jar and collect some?

I don’t know, haven’t looked for it. Anything you can collect yourself is a plus in my mind. I use coyote urine to mask my scent were I setup a decoy (if I use one).

Once you get one down (coyote that is) and you want to have some fun, take the pelt and move it to another family group’s territory and use it in your setup. Sometimes it puts them off but sometimes it really fires them up, much like using a decoy dog. You’ll be treated to some very interesting animal behavior.

I fool around with coyotes more then I kill them anymore. I have 2 different families that have territories just down the road and across the field from here. I mess with them every chance I get just to see how they react.

Here’s a website you need to surf around in for a while. These boys are stone cold killers of coyotes. There is a lot of good information there.

http://www.coyotegods.com/ I don't think John-Henry has updated the front page for 10 years now.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Movement is the key with a decoy. That is what attracts and distracts them. The more you can get them using theirs eyes and ears, the less they depend on their noses. Another inexpensive and light weight decoy is a half-gallon plastic milk jug. Glue on a rabbit skin (ears and feet attached). It is easy to carry around. You can just set a rock on topat each stand to keep it from blowing away. Set it next to your caller or out in front of you if using hand calls and let the breeze blow the fur around.

Bob

"Milk Bottle Decoy"

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:

Once you get one down (coyote that is) and you want to have some fun, take the pelt and move it to another family group’s territory and use it in your setup. Sometimes it puts them off but sometimes it really fires them up, much like using a decoy dog. You’ll be treated to some very interesting animal behavior.

I fool around with coyotes more then I kill them anymore. I have 2 different families that have territories just down the road and across the field from here. I mess with them every chance I get just to see how they react.

Hey MickinColo, great idea! I hunt in coyote heaven. It is nothing to see/kill 10 plus coyotes in 2 or 3 days, that is if you can hit them while running full speed in and out of brush to a call. Using bait they are a more sub-dued and easier to plug. I've seen packs with as many as five running at a time as I am sure you have too but, in the same day in different areas. We go every four weeks and shoot. Come back in four weeks and some more move in the area just like fish. And ........ there are the occasional times (not very often) where nothing, not bait nor call seems to work.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote