THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New 223 Rem barrel- What twist?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 223 Rem barrel- What twist?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
If you were putting a new barrel on a Rem700 in 223 Rem that will be used mostly for coyotes what twist would you order? Keep in mind that in Kaliforny we are supposed to use unleaded bullets only.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd say a 12 twist would cover most usable coyote bullets...a 9 twist would work well for 68-75s...and still allow the 50-55s to work well also....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 1 in 9" twist.
I feel this is likely the best all around twist rate for 22 cal centerfire rifles. It will usually shoot all but the 80 and 90 grain bullets.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A 1:9 would be a good compromise and shoot everything from the lightweights up through the 75 grain A-Max well.

Remember: you can't, within reason, overstabilize a bullet, but you certainly can understabilize one. THe only negative to be said about a quick twist is that the old Hornady SX and Sierra Blitz may not hold up, but most folks are shooting the trendy polymer-tipped offerings anyway.

A while back, I had a 1:8 Contender barrel in .223 Remington that shot both ends of the spectrum -- 40 grain V-Max and 75 grain A-Max -- exceptionally well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just installed a G2 contender rifle barrel on one of my old contender frames. It looks like it's a 9 twist. I just did a rough check with a patch and a tape measure.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Barnes has a new unleaded bullet out,

Multi-Purpose Greenâ„¢ Bullets Multi-Purpose Greenâ„¢ Bullets

Barnes now offers two all-new bullets featuring Multi-Purpose Green (MPGâ„¢) technology developed for military and law enforcement applications. MPG bullets feature a highly frangible, powdered-metal copper-tin core inside a guilding metal jacket.

Unlike frangible bullets lacking a protective jacket, MPG bullets remain intact under the rigors of handling, feeding and firing. This eliminates the primary cause of jammed actions and plugged barrels often experienced when firing frangible ammunition.

The 55-grain 5.56mm (.224) MPG bullet is designed for M4, HK416 and AR-15 type autoloaders and other firearms with rifling twist rates of 1:9†or faster. A 140-grain 7.62mm (.308) version is available for AR-10, SR-25, M40 (Remington 700) and M14 rifles with 1:12†or faster rifling twists. These open-tip bullets remain intact at ultra-high velocities and extreme rates of spin. On impact, they deliver explosive fragmentation.

Barnes’ Multi-Purpose Green bullets are exceptionally accurate. They’re ideal for shooting steel targets, competition, plinking, varmint hunting and home defense. “Green†is military shorthand for “lead-freeâ€â€”a requirement in military and LE practice environments.[/COLOR]

And they're offering a 50gr. Varmint Grenade, which requires a faster twist.

Sounds like a 1-9" twist is the way to go.

Midway has em both.

As well as the lead free Dead Coyote 70gr. HP's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received a 22 caliber barrel from Krieger. I told them I wanted to shoot the 75 grain bullet. The man at Krieger recommended s 1in8 twist for the 75 grain A-Max. He also said I could go to 1in7, but that 1in9 was too fast. The funny thing is Hornady bullets say right on the box(75 grain A-Max) the bullet is for a 1in8 twist. Then the next box I looked at said recommended twist of 1in9. I measured the bullet's and they weree exactly the same.

For coyote's I would think you would want the heavier bullets. So I imagine a 1in8, or a 1in9 should work well. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would go 1 in 9, its the most versital of the factory barrells. it is centered around the 55 grain for best accuracy., but will shoot every thing up to the heaviest bullet fairly well.

you should of mentioned what bullet weight you like to shoot. a 1 in 9 with 50-64 grain bullett will do just fine on coyotes and you will have the best selection of bulletts to choose from

Posts: 41 | Location: everett,wash | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
again for 1-9 i have a steyr tac elite in 223 and 308 both are 1-9 rate of twist the 223 works well with all rounds but has a real sweet spot for 63 grain sp

posted Hide Post
BT
8 or 9 twist would cover it.
I have a 700 in .223 with a 12 twist and it won't shoot 60gr very well. But my AR with a 8 twist shoots 50,60,69's very well.

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
From what I'm seeing at the range with lead free long bullets 1 to 8 might be the ticket. CRYBABYroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is how to find a twist rate:
Start a tight patch; being sure the jag is tight on the rod.
Mark the rod with a felt tip to indicate Top Dead Center and a starting point.
Advance the rod until it comes back to Top Dead Center.
Measure the distance traveled from the start mark. That is the rifling twist, one turn in xx inches.
A lot easier than trying to estimate the amount of twist in a foot.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My .223 has a 1-9 twist barrel, it shoots from 50gr up to 75Amax very well, you will have a lot more options on bullet weight with that twist. The 75Amax has a very high BC and still blows up well on all targets thumb

Work is the curse of the shooting man.

Posts: 23 | Location: UK | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Remington 700VSSF (a 2004) with a 1:12" twist and while it shoots all the varmint bullets I want it to shoot if I was ordering a new barrel this afternoon I'd be ordering one with a 1:10 or 1:9" twist.

Not to shoot the "heavier" bullets, but to be capable of shooting the 55gr Barnes Varmint Grenades.

If I want to shoot anything heavier than a 60grain partition
from a 223 I'll go buy a 243/6mm.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Decided to order 1 in 9 twist although when my gunsmith was going to place the order with Douglas, he was going to check to see if they had a different twist rate that they would recommend.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote